New Transmission Issues - Grinding/Notching 6th Gear occasionally
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Transmission Issues - Grinding/Notching 6th Gear occasionally in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I recently replaced my transmission with a T-56 Level V from RPM Transmissions. At the same time, new GM trans ...
    powerwagon80 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

New Transmission Issues - Grinding/Notching 6th Gear occasionally

I recently replaced my transmission with a T-56 Level V from RPM Transmissions. At the same time, new GM trans mounts, LS7 clutch and flywheel were installed. I had a local installer do the work.

After the replacement, the 2nd to 3rd shift would occasionally grind, and shifting into 6th (from 4th or 5th) would either grind or notch into 6th. This happens once every 5 to 10 shifts. If I hold the shifter tightly into place in 6th, this seems to help. With the old shifter/trans/etc, I could put the car into gear, and I didn't have any issues.

Since the transmission replacement, I have also replaced the motor mounts (RevShift Blue), installed a PISNUOFF short throw shifter with Creative Steel bushings, and then took the car to RPM for them to take a look at things.

When RPM took the car for a drive, they did have issues shifting into 6th. They removed the trans and replaced everything associated with 3rd & 6th gear. I'd really like to thank they guys at RPM, they have been great to work with throughout the entire process. RPM mentioned that even with my new shifter, it still seemed to have a lot of play. I'd guest there is 1" to 1.5" of side to side play when in any gear.

I still get grinds or notches when shifting into 6th gear. 2nd to 3rd shifts seem better so far.

I read this article:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ans-issue.html

And while it's similar, I'm not power shifting, just a "normal" shift into 6th at highway speeds - 65 to 80mph.

What should I do?
    Thanks!

-2004 with a little over 150,000 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: New Transmission Issues - Grinding/Notching 6th Gear occasionally

Is there any reason you wouldn't just go back RPM Transmission with the problem?

It's about a 4 hour drive one way, was hoping to avoid the drive again...

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

Grinding gears are never good. Take it back, even if it's a 4 hr trip IMO.

Just want to make sure that there isn't something else I'm missing. While I want it fixed, I don't want to be barking up the wrong tree.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.