Bought an '04 V... happy but minor problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Bought an '04 V... happy but minor problems in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Howdy fellas, Just purchased an '04 V and I'm very happy, but there apperas to be a few minor issues. ...
    rmbanas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Bought an '04 V... happy but minor problems

Howdy fellas,

Just purchased an '04 V and I'm very happy, but there apperas to be a few minor issues. I've been searching these forums and found answers to some, like the oil temp light TSB... but some others I'm curious about.

#1: Out of nowhere the in dash display started to tell me that the anti-theft system needs to be serviced--the indash light for it won't go off. I have no idea even where to begin with this?

#2: The dimmer switch for the dash lights worked fine, until last night. Now it doesn't work at all, nor does it turn on the interior lights... how can I get that thing apart to fix it?

#3: I have a plugged condensate drain tube and my passenger side carpet is soaked.

#4: My windows no longer will roll down...

#5: The speedometer jumps around and I believe it's causing the traction control to activate... I assume the sensor needs to be replaced? Is it in the rear end or tranny?

.... at least it runs and drives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Bought an '04 V... happy but minor problems

Quote Originally Posted by rmbanas View Post
    Howdy fellas,

Just purchased an '04 V and I'm very happy, but there apperas to be a few minor issues. I've been searching these forums and found answers to some, like the oil temp light TSB... but some others I'm curious about.

#1: Out of nowhere the in dash display started to tell me that the anti-theft system needs to be serviced--the indash light for it won't go off. I have no idea even where to begin with this?

#2: The dimmer switch for the dash lights worked fine, until last night. Now it doesn't work at all, nor does it turn on the interior lights... how can I get that thing apart to fix it?

#3: I have a plugged condensate drain tube and my passenger side carpet is soaked.

#4: My windows no longer will roll down...

#5: The speedometer jumps around and I believe it's causing the traction control to activate... I assume the sensor needs to be replaced? Is it in the rear end or tranny?

.... at least it runs and drives.
    For item#3 see the attached.
    Item #5 could be the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) which is fastened to the transmission.

The other items could have individual causes but because they are occurring together they may be interrelated. Specifically, many of the systems in this car depend on low voltage references from the various circuits. These low voltage references, in turn depend on a strong battery and good grounding. The simultaneous occurence of multiple electrical symptoms is often caused by a weak battery or a grounds that no longer conduct well. I would start by checking the battery (for a weak cell) and its connections. I would also pull the ground under the hood strut stick and clean it some sandpaper or other abrasive.

Thank you for the reply. I downloaded the attachments and will take a look tomorrow to see what I can figure out.

I blew out the rubber drain hose with some compressed air today and the water leak went away so that's fixed.

The dimmer switch and windows are still puzzling... the lights in the upper console work fine, it's just that the dimmer switch won't activate them (I have to push the buttons) and it also doesn't dim the instrument cluster lights. Just funny that both of these items worked fine until today... I looked at the fuses and couldn't find anything, these power items seem to be relayed. I'll have to pick up a few extra relays to check and see if those are what's causing it, otherwise I'd expect it's the dimmer switch itself--which I am assuming is a pain to swap out, seeing as I can't figure out how to remove that upper console thingamabob by the rearview mirror.

I will also check the grounding system and battery and clean it up with some sandpaper and dielectric grease.

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

If all the windows are not rolling down, that might be a power issue... Have you checked the fuse box? Also, you should grab a volt meter and enure you have 12v at you switches, the pull h door panel the check power at the motors. That would be step 2, in my opinion.
    There cold be something else... As noted above, if you have grounding issues you could have voltage drops too

See attached.

So I brought the car into the dealership today and they scanned it... they claim that the problems are all related;

The diagnosis indicated that there are 5 modules (I didn't get the report) that are not communicating with each other -- I assume body control, door, anti-theft, vehicle speed/dash, etc.

so, I'm going to try and get the dealer to cover the repairs seeing as selling a vehicle with a broken speedo is odometer fraud, right?

If that doesn't work though, any clues as to where to begin?

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

I hope that you can figure out what's going on with the V. If I were you, I'd check the date on the battery as a starting point.

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

Congrats on your purchase,,I too am a recent V owner,it has me running around town and net to figure WTF is all the issues!. If it wasn't for this mid-life crisis and happy flapper it has I would sell the SOB!.

Best of luck and hope your wallet is very fat! I feel better now...thanks..

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

...so, I'm going to try and get the dealer to cover the repairs seeing as selling a vehicle with a broken speedo is odometer fraud, right?
    If that doesn't work though, any clues as to where to begin?
    Rmbanas, please feel free to contact me to explore your next steps if you do indeed have concerns after consulting with your dealership. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Ugh... ok so I tried to disconnect the battery but the terminal bolt stripped, someone really tightened the hell out of it on the positive cable. So I disconnected the cable from the main fuse box, shorted it as told, and it reset the computer. My problems still exist, plus new ones! My tire gauge doesn't register the tire pressures and I no longer have my XM bands on my radio (which previously worked just fine)... is there any way to fix this stuff without having to take it to the dealer?

I'm also starting to wonder if my power windows problem is related to some literature I found on the net about some connectors getting corroded under the rear carpet... remember I had that water leak from the air conditioner and there was standing water in the floor.

So I disconnected the cable from the main fuse box, shorted it as told, and it reset the computer.
    What do you mean by "shorted it"? I am not familiar with that procedure.

Connected the positive terminal in the fuse box (i.e. where the battery cable goes) to the negative end of the battery, to discharge any capacitive load in the system.

I just took another look in the car... re-checked all fuses, swapped around relays and breakers, still no power to the drivers door windows although the mirrors work fine, etc. and my radio still does not display any XM bands.

This is sufficiently irritating me now... I'm the kind of person that gets OCD over problems until they are fully solved to my satisfaction.

Oh one other neat thing I forgot to mention... I went through the DIC and asked it to display the battery voltage, it just reads --.-- what's up with that?

Attached is view of the body harness in the passenger compartment. The wiring beneath the carpet includes connectors of the air bags - you should therefore disconnect the battery before working on/troubleshooting the body harness.

This is the sort of task I usually take to a dealer, or at least a shop with GM TechII scanner.

FYI as a quick follow up... the dealer determined the body control module to be faulty, replaced it and all is well--everything works as it should now.

Windows work... XM works, etc etc etc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.