Annoyed...darn DVD/Nav lense & my OCD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Annoyed...darn DVD/Nav lense & my OCD in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I finally got around to replacing the buttons in my DVD/Nav unit. Saw some posts previously about being able ...
    Faber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None :(

Annoyed...darn DVD/Nav lense & my OCD

So I finally got around to replacing the buttons in my DVD/Nav unit. Saw some posts previously about being able to replace the screen with some anti-glare acrylic from Home Depot (non-glare acrylic) that got me thinking I should do that as well. I figured that I'd pull out the screen first to ensure I get the right thickness, however either my HD sucks or some folks have a higher tolerance for variation than me. The only thing they had at HD in non-glare was 1/2 the thickness needed On top of that, the factory appears to be an anti-reflective coated piece of acrylic (or similar material) not non-glare. The non-glare is somewhat opaque using defraction of the reflection to produce the glare reduction, whereas anti-reflective seems to be a coating that handles it in another fashion.

I've sat here trying to convince myselft to just put it back in, but that hasn't worked. So now my radio is sitting in pieces on my kitchen table as I hunt down a replacement piece for the screen.

BTW - size of the screen is 6 5/8" X 3 3/4" X 0.093" in case anyone was interested.

As a side note, so far this is pretty darn easy to do. I'm surprised that so many folks have complained about how finicky this is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Nate37AZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently Caddy-less

Re: Annoyed...darn DVD/Nav lense & my OCD

What about something like this?

http://www.framing4yourself.com/shop...glare-acrylic/

This is .080", couldn't find the .094" anywhere. Your local framing shop may have something though.

bbozsik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS
    Did you happen by that company Specmo? I saw a post not too log ago where someone orders a replacement acrylic panel for $5 or $10. Good luck. I'm doing mine next week hopefully.

I called specmo & they were looking for $50 for the screen. Seemed a little much.

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    I called specmo & they were looking for $50 for the screen. Seemed a little much.
    Hey, is this a generic piece of plastic or an oem type replacement? $50 is high, but I'd pay it for he right screen.

Scott2012 - Specmo confirmed that it is an OEM type replacement and I agree with you. Shopping around optic grade acrylic/plexi with the Anti-reflective quoting as opposed to the Non-glare dimpling has lead me to realize it is more expensive and tough to find. I'll likely do some comparison pictures with the Specmo replacement as compared to Home Depot solutions just for shits & giggles.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I put an anti-glare cover on it that I bought for $10 or something on Amazon. Covers up all the scratches, and looks great with the exception of the piece of dust that got stuck under there when I put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    I put an anti-glare cover on it that I bought for $10 or something on Amazon. Covers up all the scratches, and looks great with the exception of the piece of dust that got stuck under there when I put it on.
    I saw this same thing on eBay. Isn't like a screen protector type material they used to sell for pda's? I was thinking about giving it a whirl for a time saver, but worried it might look like $h1t.

Bigtuna819 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

not to thread jack... where did you get the 1/8 nut driver? and is it really needed? Stopped at HD and 1/4 was the smallest they had. I dont feel like running all around town trying to find one. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna819 View Post
    not to thread jack... where did you get the 1/8 nut driver? and is it really needed? Stopped at HD and 1/4 was the smallest they had. I dont feel like running all around town trying to find one. Thanks
    Snap-on makes them
    Why wouldn't you just use a 1/4 ext and socket?

you need a 1/8th to get the circuit boards off to access the buttons. My HD had them, but they come in a package as opposed to stand alone. It is made by General or Ultra Tech Tool System - and is a precision screwdriver set. Couldn't find the 1/8th by itself.

Here's a link to the one at HD -
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

vettepoweraddict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 v Black Raven

I used needle nose pliers, I too could not find a 1/8th nut driver

Bigtuna819 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

That's it, thanks

Got the screen from Specmo yesterday - it is the same exact as the factory screen - definitely happy with them & what they delivered. I'm going to buy one of the "non-glare" acrylics from HD & do some shots so people can see the difference between the items in case they go down this path.

bbozsik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS
    Thanks, Faber. Great to know and look forward to the pics

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.