Erratic speedo
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Erratic speedo in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey everyone. First post. I just picked up an 06 V in black. The speedo has been acting up, erratically ...
    protodelorean is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Erratic speedo

Hey everyone. First post. I just picked up an 06 V in black. The speedo has been acting up, erratically jumping up. I'll be cruising at say 40 and the speedo bounces up to 70+ and comes back down. It affects both the needle and the digital readout. It never drops below the actual speed and seems to do it mostly when I under light to moderate throttle. Coasting usually makes it come back to normal. Sound like a VSS? I'm used to bad VSS causing speedo to drop to zero completely. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Erratic speedo

I think typically that's caused by the speed sensor.

Thanks! I'll be replacing the VSS tomorrow. I'll report back results.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by protodelorean View Post
    Hey everyone. First post. I just picked up an 06 V in black. The speedo has been acting up, erratically jumping up. I'll be cruising at say 40 and the speedo bounces up to 70+ and comes back down. It affects both the needle and the digital readout. It never drops below the actual speed and seems to do it mostly when I under light to moderate throttle. Coasting usually makes it come back to normal. Sound like a VSS? I'm used to bad VSS causing speedo to drop to zero completely. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
    Welcome to the forum, Steve! Hope you're finding it helpful so far, and if you'd ever like further assistance please send me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

So I swapped out the VSS sensor today and the it's still doing the same thing. Here's another symptom. I noticed the speedo was jumping up just when I was on the throttle. So it seemed it was either related to engine/tranny movement or the throttle itself. To rule out the throttle, I can sit still, idling, put it in gear, one foot on brake and one on clutch, let the clutch out just until the engine starts to load, and the speedo will start to jump. (No throttle) That says it's somethng to do with movement of the drivetrain. Any thoughts? My next step is to replace the connector/pigtail of the vss harness.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

According to the Service Manual:

SPEEDOMETER

The instrument panel cluster (IPC) displays the vehicle speed based on the information from the engine control module (ECM). The ECM sends a 4,000 pulse per mile signal to the cluster discretely. The IPC calculates the vehicle speed using the time difference between consecutive pulses. The speedometer will default to zero if the time duration since the last speed pulse is greater than or equal to one second.

So the circuit involves a connection between the vehicle speed sensor (IPC) and the ECM and then a connection between the ECM and the instrument panel cluster (IPC). If the problem does not originate with the VSS it is either wiring or the ECM or the IPC.

See attached.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.