Idle question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Idle question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Picked up my V on Tuesday - what a car!! It does, however, have a couple of gremlins. When it ...
    RobzBLKV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Idle question

Picked up my V on Tuesday - what a car!!

It does, however, have a couple of gremlins. When it idles, it sometimes is rough enough to shake the whole car. It's not a uniform shaking, either. And it doesn't do it all the time. I am surprised since the idle sits somewhere around 800 or 900 rpms. Anyone else experience this? I sat in a couple of others when I noticed it during the delivery and they seemed similar.

The wheel vibrates on the highway and it pulls to the right a bit. Are balance issues frequent with these tires? My brother bought a first year CTS and I think they fixed the balance issues when he replaced the tires.

All in all, a spectacular car so far. I can even deal with the idle if it's normal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Re: Idle question

Shake at idle totally normal. That's a 5.7 litre V-8 with a hot cam.

Vibration and pull on the highway, not normal.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Rough idle = horsepower; it's a good thing.

Tire imbalance issues are common. My tires are fine one day and horrible the next almost like they flat spot under certain conditions.

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    Tire imbalance issues are common.
    Common, maybe. My car has never had this issue.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by BowenCT
    Shake at idle totally normal. That's a 5.7 litre V-8 with a hot cam.

Vibration and pull on the highway, not normal.
    My experiences parallel this. High specific output engines kind of lope at adle. My favorite was a Mustang Boss 429. Whoompa - Whoompa. The whole car rocked from side to side at idle. I have owned three Coupe model Corvettes. Having driven a number of Z06 Vettes, you always get to enjoy the loping surges at idle. More power works just fine! Need to take more test drives. It is my hobby. I drive a different new car about every two months.

Thanks, all of you. Idle normal - check. Balance issues and alignment not normal (although balance issues might be commond) - get them fixed. I appreciate it. I guess I have to go have the alarm turned on anyway, so why not add a couple things onto the list.

Silver Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Not so fast.
    Pulling to the sides may be normal.
    Does it pull to the side no matter what lane you drive or does it pull to the right more if you are on the right lane?
    Don’t laugh! This may be important.
    Try this - drive on a straight “narrow” country road and drive towards the middle of the road - watch for traffic!! Does it still pull to the right or stay more neutral?
    Next, drive on a one-way street on the most left lane. Is it now pulling towards the left?
    If this is the case everything is normal. The CTS-V is set up with a very responsive steering geometry (very little toe in). That means it will follow the slope of the pavement more readily, sometimes making you think it "pulls" to one side or the other.
    My car drives perfectly straight on the passing lane but pulls noticeably to the right when I am on the slow lane.
    You can get it set up differently if you have a very good alignment place. However, if they are not good, they may give you back a car that drives perfectly straight for hours without even touching the wheel, but you will now have to force it around corners.
    The “light-footedness” and “eagerness” is gone.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

On the idle issue somone once said:

"That shaking at idle is the 400 horsepower trying to get out! Hit the gas and set them free"

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Alarm turned on? Is that what ended up being the problem with those '05s?

03Z06Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade ESV Mocha/Ebony, 2011 CTS-V EG/EB

Quote Originally Posted by RobzBLKV
    Picked up my V on Tuesday - what a car!!

It does, however, have a couple of gremlins. When it idles, it sometimes is rough enough to shake the whole car. It's not a uniform shaking, either. And it doesn't do it all the time. I am surprised since the idle sits somewhere around 800 or 900 rpms. Anyone else experience this? I sat in a couple of others when I noticed it during the delivery and they seemed similar.

The wheel vibrates on the highway and it pulls to the right a bit. Are balance issues frequent with these tires? My brother bought a first year CTS and I think they fixed the balance issues when he replaced the tires.

All in all, a spectacular car so far. I can even deal with the idle if it's normal.
    My '05 V also vibrates at highway speeds. My local dealer, not the one I bought the car from, has not been able to "reproduce" the problem. I bought GY GSD3s and that didn't sovle the problem either. So, as a last resort, I have ordered some new factory wheels. I was waiting until they came out with the 10 spoke wheel, but I couldn't stand it any longer. I am pretty sure the vibration is a result of bad wheels, because it varies with tire temp and pressure. When I get the new wheels, I am going to have a mechanic I know mount and balance them and do a front end alignment. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I will get rid of the V and get a C6. If it weren't for this problem, the V would be an awesome car.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

On my V, I've had the original tires mounted on both the stock wheels and then mounted on aftermarket wheels and it is still there. Different wheels didn't help me but it has worked for others.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

My V developed the vibration @ 2000 miles after a flat tire was repaired at Goodyear by patching on the inside and remounting. The vibration seemed to get worse for the next 2000 miles and rebalancing (twice) all 4 tires/wheels didn't seem to help. My dealer said it was the tires and ordered 4 new ones. They said they had problems with other Goodyears in the past (little experience with run flats though). They ordered the wrong (?) tires and ended up changing out the tires and wheels from a demo V. The vibration is almost entirely gone now except for some very minor vibration on smooth asphalt roads.

In my case I can't be sure what the problem was but I don't think it was the wheels since I didn't have any vibration for the first 2000 miles. I tend to think it was the tires since it seemed to gradually get worse after the flat fix. But, as I have noted in the past, I don't think the design of the TPS mount allows for a stable wheel balance so this could have contributed to the problem.

I'm glad it's fixed now because this drove me nuts and I was almost at the point of getting rid of my V. Nothing saps your driving confidence more than an unexplained vibration.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread - I was in Australia for a week (and don't want to ignore the additional feedback.

Silver Baron, the pull to the right happened from the fast lane on the highway where the slope should have made the car pull to the left. With tires as wide as these, I wouldn't check it any other way (regardless of the suspension tuning). I have decided to ignore it for now b/c I am afraid the dealer will make it worse (it really isn't that bad).

The shimmy seems to have gone away as well. I have not idea why. It might be b/c it's a bit warmer - if it comes back, I will try increasing the tire pressure a bit and see what happens.

All in all, I ma just waiting for the break in period to come to an end. Although the transmission whines more than I would have expected. I haven't applied anything close to full power yet, but the car was driven to my dealer from another location (about 40 miles on the car when I got it). I can only hope the differential wasn't damaged before I got it.

oh yeah - now that I know the idle isn't indicative of something being wrong, I really like it.

ta206 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by BowenCT
    Common, maybe. My car has never had this issue.
    Picked mine up on Saturday. I've had no problems with the idle, either. But maybe its just because I traded a Corvette for it and I can't believe how much better this car is than the Vette.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Every car review on the CTS-V comments on the "lumpy" idle. Given the lift of the LS6 cam, I'd be worried if it DIDN't idle rough......

Doug

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.