Costco gas?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Costco gas? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Who uses it? Is it any good? Do you only use it for day to day driving? Anyone tracks there ...
    odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Costco gas?

Who uses it? Is it any good? Do you only use it for day to day driving? Anyone tracks there car with it? Any pro cons would be great.

Thanks for any info or stories of experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Costco gas?

I used to sell fuel on the Nimex......

Costco/Walmart/Meijer all use unbranded gas. This can (but very seldom) come from the same racks as branded gas (Sunoco, BP, Marathon, etc) but is highly unlikely to. Usually it's a gamble as to what rack they pull from.

That said, I'll use that stuff in my Jeep, but not my Caddy. Hoity Toity...I know lol

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

What about RaceTrac and QT?

AmigoBB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

When I had my car tuned, the tuner asked what kind of gas I put in. I said "Costco", he could tell something was off just from the gas.....I used to put Costco gas in almost exclusively and would even go out of my way a little to make it happen. Since the tuner told me what he told me I only fill up there when on an actual Costco run. Otherwise I avoid the stuff. Just my two cents

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

For every ten gallons of gas that have been put in my car since day one, eight to nine of them have been Costco 93. Burns just fine and doesn't plug up the fuel filter. What else matters?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I would put in Costco gas, but I get gas across the stateline for $0.40 cheaper/gallon. I used Costco gas in other vehicles, 87 and 93 for years with no problems before I bought my new house near the line. My mother, who lives in CA, refuses to put in anything unless it is from Chevron. She will literally run out of gas if she can't find a Chevron station before empty. To each his own.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Never. Top Tier gas is first choice then a Sunoco or the like. Base of the gas is all the same, but it's the additives the top gas stations put in that you want. Is cheaper gas really saving you anything??

trhs75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I get Costco gas (in Iowa) almost exclusively without any problems. I get 1-2 mpg better mileage than when I use name brands at Missouri stations when I visit my daughter in college in St. Louis, but I have no idea why. I tried to tell my daughter that when I go "downhill" (south) using Iowa gas, it's easier on the engine that when I drive "uphill" (north) using Missouri gas. I don't think she fell for it....

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

Around town I always use Costco gas in the V and the Z06. But on a trip I use a top tier gas, mostly Chevron or Shell.

JDB

Quote Originally Posted by 50 4Ever View Post
    Around town I always use Costco gas in the V and the Z06. But on a trip I use a top tier gas, mostly Chevron or Shell.
    Seems backwards.

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Seems backwards.
    Let me ask you a question, say you go on a trip cross country. How many Costco stations do you see along the highway? Seems like most major exits have a Shell or Chevron. Thats why I use the better gas on trips.

JDB

Quote Originally Posted by 50 4Ever View Post
    Let me ask you a question, say you go on a trip cross country. How many Costco stations do you see along the highway? Seems like most major exits have a Shell or Chevron. Thats why I use the better gas on trips.
    of course not, but when you're cruising at highway speeds with low RPMs and no engine load and used that day...who cares what gas you use?

Seems backwards to use mystery gas when you're daily driving.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've never had problems with it. No audible pinging, etc.

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

All comments on this thread against Costco gas are useless without data.
    Show logs with timing retard/pinging and X gas vs Costco. I've used Costco 93 in both the maggied V and "bolt-on" tuned '96SS with no problems. The only gas related issue I had was with a cheap station up the road from the Palace of Auburn Hills. I was low and needed a fill-up. Shortly after the Impala barely started, and ran like crap for about a week. I logged it and found all kinds of timing retard, pinging, etc. Couldn't figure it out. Filled up at the end of the week and within minutes all symptoms went away. Went back and complained to the clerk (yup, bad move I know) and they never had "any reports of problems with their gas". The company went under about 6 months later and the place is still vacant.

-PJ

The only thing I don't like is the 10% ethanol that most all Michigan stations have in their gas. In the UP you can still find pure gas, but it's far and few between.

Torxila is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1 of 1 Evo Green Coupe 6m, with RB9

I've used Costco 93 for years in both my (800rwhp) twin turbo C5 & C6's as well as my 605rwhp V coupe. I have NEVER had any issues/problems. My tuner uses it as well and that's good enough for me.

On long road trips I would use Shell/Sunoco as available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.