GSD3s Getting Louder and Louder - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GSD3s Getting Louder and Louder in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho No problem. It wouldn't have been the first time if it was a sarcastic response. Big ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: GSD3s Getting Louder and Louder

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    No problem. It wouldn't have been the first time if it was a sarcastic response.
    Big Jim being sarcastic--- I am shocked!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    hehehehe

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Tirerack wants $732 for a set (stock size) of the Conti DWs, and it says "close out." Can't justify it now if only noise is my issue. Dang!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

What's the deal with the Closeout on them? Are they being replaced with some other model?

It's usually only a few bucks savings, if any. The TireRack focuses on things like tire age. They won't sell old tires so I imagine they're trying to get rid of tires a few months old to make room for new...

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I think those are the 17".

Try this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SPC2&tab=Sizes

No test comparisons that I could see. Didn't watch the vid.
    Yeah I got the size wrong but I was hoping someone had some feedback on them. What I have seen on their website their new compound seems to be better if you believe what they have to say. I wish there were user reviews and comparisons to some of the other tires but nothing yet because it is a very new tire. I was planning to try the Super sports but they don't have a tire in the size I am planning on using and the Comp-2 does (285/35R19).

Seems like a good tire but if the Super sports come in the stock V size I would go with them if you need to change tires, price is right and they seem to do well against the PS2s.

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Hankook Ventus V12

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_Rob View Post
    ... I was planning to try the Super sports but they don't have a tire in the size I am planning on using and the Comp-2 does (285/35R19).

Seems like a good tire but if the Super sports come in the stock V size I would go with them if you need to change tires, price is right and they seem to do well against the PS2s.
    I've got the Super Sports on Linea Corse wheels now. I'm trying to wear down my GSD3s on the stock wheels and eventually get something, hopefully, quieter without giving up too much performance (especially dry performance) and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepside View Post
    Hankook Ventus V12
    C&D's latest issue has a tire comparo on page 80. While they didn't test the V12, they do have the R-S3. Seems it didn't do so well in the wet, which is fine by me since I only drive in rain if I get caught in it, but it did quite well under dry conditions actually beating the SS. PLUS, it was one of the least expensive tire out of the nine they tested. I know manufacturer-to-manufacturer wear ratings are not standardized, but even so the Hankook's wear rating is way low and that just has to be at least considered.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I replaced my F1 GSD3's with the Hankook V12s last summer. I wanted to keep stock up front and the 275/40s in the rear. I couldn't justify putting more tire on the car since I haven't done a track day yet, my helmet is out of compliance, and I'll do much more fishing than roadcoursing in the next few years.

Overall I'm happy with the Hankooks. They are grippy in straight lines for my maggied V and they have a gradual breakaway in spirited turning with more audible warning than the GSD3s.

However, I don't feel as comfortable at the G limits as with the GSD3s and while I had broken 1g several times in continuous onramp/offramps in both directions with the GSD3s, I have yet to feel confident in taking the Hankooks over 1G. (I've had a step out register over 1 but obviously that doesn't count)

The only other negative is that even though they are the same size, the Hankooks are noticably narrower on the rim than the GSD3s. It's enough that I was a little disappointed with the look after they were first mounted. They are not narrow enough to run 275s all the way around on my stock height, stock rimmed V, though. I tried them on the front and they still rub like crazy.

quikss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2007 Trailblazer SS, 1969 Chevelle SS

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    They were replaced by the RE970...
    Ive only had them a few weeks, and yes they are the 970's. I enjoy driving the hell out of this car once again with these tires on it.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by PJGross View Post
    I replaced my F1 GSD3's with the Hankook V12s last summer. I wanted to keep stock up front and the 275/40s in the rear. I couldn't justify putting more tire on the car since I haven't done a track day yet, my helmet is out of compliance, and I'll do much more fishing than roadcoursing in the next few years.

Overall I'm happy with the Hankooks. They are grippy in straight lines for my maggied V and they have a gradual breakaway in spirited turning with more audible warning than the GSD3s.

However, I don't feel as comfortable at the G limits as with the GSD3s and while I had broken 1g several times in continuous onramp/offramps in both directions with the GSD3s, I have yet to feel confident in taking the Hankooks over 1G. (I've had a step out register over 1 but obviously that doesn't count)

The only other negative is that even though they are the same size, the Hankooks are noticably narrower on the rim than the GSD3s. It's enough that I was a little disappointed with the look after they were first mounted. They are not narrow enough to run 275s all the way around on my stock height, stock rimmed V, though. I tried them on the front and they still rub like crazy.
    Well, first off GSD3s are NOTORIOUS for running very wide. I'm hearing the PSS do as well. But almost any tire you put on will look narrower. Doesn't mean their contact patch is any better, though.

As for handling, that brings me back to the plight of the 8.5" wheel on a 3850lb performance car. I'm running stock 9"F, 9.5"R wheels and stock size Hankooks on my V2, so my criteria is a little different. So, again, you'll need to factor in how well these tires do in initial turn-in. Super stiff F1 EMTs felt like champs because the runflats had super stiff sidewalls. PS2s felt amazing because the sidewalls, while not as stiff as the F1 EMTs, were still stiff enough and had excellent stability and communication throughout all g forces.

So I would look at cornering stability and turn-in stats over just about all others when looking at tires...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.