Revisiting the Clear Bra
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Revisiting the Clear Bra in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; With winter approaching and the first rock chips appearing, I have gone ahead and bought a 3M Clear bra kit; ...
    6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Revisiting the Clear Bra

With winter approaching and the first rock chips appearing, I have gone ahead and bought a 3M Clear bra kit; gonna install it myself. I know from the now-dormant summertime threads that a bunch of you have the clear bras; did anyone do it themselves? Did anyone watch their pros tackle the front bumper or hood? Any words of wisdom aside from lots of soap and water?

I've done big decals before but never the clear bra......

How are they holding up?

Thanks.

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

scottimartini is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Revisiting the Clear Bra

I'm very curious too, as my freind just put it on his Evo and it looks great (meaning that you can't even see it). I want to protect my front end before the chips begin. Thanks

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Only negative thing... because the film works so well, the paint underneath it tends to fade at a slower rate than the rest of the paint. I think the film actually has UV Blockers in it which might account for this. Not sure tho.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I couldn't tell you about paint fade because I've only had it on for 4 months.

BUT, I hope you are very patient and skillful if you're attempting this yourself. The pros I had installing a similar tape had a heckuva time. It usually takes them about 2 hours.....took 3 on the V. And they had to stop and reapply in a couple of places. And they did not enjoy it. It's hard to see until you look at a V with one upclose how many pieces have to be installed because of all the creases.

With the potential replacement cost for messed up pieces and the potential for mistakes, I wouldn't even TRY to think of attempting it on my own.

But you're not me so..................

It does work very well, though. Keep it clean and waxed and you could throw the V headfirst into a giant vat of bugs and it would almost come clean with just a spritz from the hose.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Paid to have mine installed, have no complaints and would have it done again. Zero rock chips on the front of the car after 7900 miles. Bugs come off nicely!

Unfortunately, I do have one tiny rock chip a few inches above where the film covering the hood ends.

One needs to cover the entire car with this stuff. And use it to make tear-offs for the windshield.

Harley Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Had mine professionally applied in August and I love it. So far, (6,000 miles) no issues at all. I have a few dings in the clear bra from road stuff that would have definitely been a chip in the car. I also have a minor stone chip on the hood just above where the clear bra ends. I paid about $450 for mine installed. The mats were custome cut for the car. I covered entire front air dam, hood, mirrors, head lights and fog lights. When I Zainosed the car I did the clear bra and all. Looks gread and can not be seen at all from about 6 feet away. Great investment.

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

I had a pro put mine on - under $600 for hood, top front fenders, front bumper (with all the curves and cut outs), mirrors, and headlights. It took her around 4 hours. Guaranteed for 5 years.

Even when waxed, the gloss is not as great as the black paint around the urethane covering.

I figured it beat all the stone chips I have on every other car in the family.

Tony

darvish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 sedan , 11 Wagon

I bought a clear bra set from ebay,, I figured im a smart guy, how hard could it be? WELLLL ill be ordering another set to have professionally intalled. I am not as smart as iIthink I am.

Bill Varnum
    St Louis MO

Quote Originally Posted by darvish
    I bought a clear bra set from ebay,, I figured im a smart guy, how hard could it be? WELLLL ill be ordering another set to have professionally intalled. I am not as smart as iIthink I am.

Bill Varnum
    St Louis MO
    Sounds like we are of similar attitudes; I figure I'll give it a try, knowing full well that I have a high likelihood of failure. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    My "ace-in-the-hole" though is that I did auto body work for a couple of years in the early 80's, when trans am's and Z-28's had more visible decal than visible paint. I wrestled with more than a few of those damn things. But, I never wrestled with anything as complex as the clear bumper cover for the V....and I am assuming that 8 mil clear film is more than a little tricker than those thick opaque thunder-chicken decals.

I also got to take a look at BUILDINGCTSAMG's professionally installed CTS clear bra this summer......so I know what is supposed to look like when finished....
    (and...in a couple of weeks I may be asking him for the name and address of his installer )

Doug

Well., it is installed. Since I had not worked with this stuff before, it took 5 hours or so; the hood was actually the easiest part because it was flat. I did botch one headlight which I will redo, but aside from that there are no bubbles, no tears, and is is virtually invisible save for the unavoidable line at the end of the hood and fender pieces.

A little patience, common sense, a heater, a good light, and dust control. Total cost: $218. Yes it took a lot of time but this comes under the "hobby project" heading so I am not doing the time/cost analysis.

Picture, if attached, doesn't really show anything but...that's the point.

Doug
    Attached Images

slk230mb is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade

Nice work. I am considering doing it to my Escalde, but I would need to find an installer in the Queens/LI area.
    ~Steve

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

The hood looks good - did you tackle the bumpers & mirrors?

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Good job Doug!

Quote Originally Posted by 2004ctsv
    The hood looks good - did you tackle the bumpers & mirrors?
    Hood, fenders, bumpers. mirrors, headlights, and foglights. The headlights were BY FAR the hard part due to the complex curve and the flat top. The mirrors are a bit tricky but the kit has relief cuts in the right places. The film, though, is actually quite pliable as long as it is warm. I ran a space heater in the garage for a couple of hours before starting; though our garage stays pretty warm due to crappy house insulation.

You need a good light because the bubbles are hard to eradicate and hard to see since they are fluid filled. Opaque decals are easier in that respect.

PneuBird is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Nice job Doug......you got more nerve to tackle that job than I do!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.