Whinning coming from the left rear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pato
  • 2 Post By Cadillac Cust Svc
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Whinning coming from the left rear in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just noticed that if I were to hit between 65-70 I hear a high pitched whine from the left ...
    SRTTOCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Whinning coming from the left rear

I just noticed that if I were to hit between 65-70 I hear a high pitched whine from the left rear(drivers side). If I apply gas and take it off during that MPH it has no affect on the whinning. its still there no matter what you do. when I decelerate I notice a not so smooth sound. I dont know how else to describe it. So my question is has anyone else had this issue and what was the fix. at the moment Im thinking bearings but cant tell which one. If anyone could help out that would be great.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Whinning coming from the left rear

Your description about the orientation of the sound to one side does sound like a wheel bearing. Otherwise, noise on decel in the center of the car is the signature of a drive shaft related issue.

Thanks Darkman for the fast response. I cant tell if the decel noise is from the center but I can tell that the noise on the left could possible be the wheel hub bearing taking a crap on me. Is there anything I can do to test this idea to make sure it is the wheel bearing or somthing else.

You can put the car on a lift and operate the car at various speeds. Don't forget to turn off the traction control - it likes the front wheel speed to resemble the rear wheel speed. (This can theoretically be done on jack stands - but I personally consider that too risky.) Some shops, and certainly a GM Dealer, have sonic vibration detection gear to isolate the source of sounds while testing on the rack.

okay I did a little more listening on the way home last night and noticed when I changed lanes quickly or took a sweeping corner to the right the sound would disappear but once I straighten out again the sound was back. So I was thinking wheel bearing but a guy at work mentioned something about the CV joint. Could this be or would it be more likely the wheel hub?

Each axle does have two constant velocity joints that are covered by rubber boots. These can fail. The most common issue is the boots getting torn and allowing the grease to escape, which can lead to failure due to the lack of lubrication.

so if one of those were to go bad what might be some symptoms? would the sounds I just described earlier be the same as one of the cv joints failing or on it last leg?

i am not sure - I have not had one fail nor heard the sound. A failing bearing usually makes a very distinct sound that I recognize but can not really describe. i am relatively certain that if you had the car on a lift with the rear wheels turning you could easily distinguish between a wheel bearing and an axle joint as the source.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Any updates since Sunday, SRTTOCTSV? As darkmen already mentioned, a trip to your Cadillac dealer may be in order so that the proper diagnostic tests can be run. I can completely understand if you'd rather try the DIY approach first, however!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

PISNUOFF Guest

If it goes away on right hand turns, it's most likely the right wheel bearing/hub assembly. A worn out CV would change tone or go away with the application/removal of torque not weight transfer. I would also hit the brakes and see if it goes away when the weight transfers to the front of the vehicle, this may not be as pronounced as the side to side weight transfer. You generally will not be able to diagnose a bad wheel bearing while the wheel is in the air.

Also, a worn CV will rotate without the stub shaft rotating with it. You can check this by rotating the axle shaft by hand and seeing how much play is in the joint. There will be some, I wouldn't consider it excessive until you can rotate it 30 degrees without the stub shaft moving.

mlimanti is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am having similar issues. Sound coming from the rear sounds much like a very bad tire. The sound is there at all speeds and the volume increases with speed. None of the CV's look torn, so I am assuming it is a wheel bearing.

How involved is replacement of rear wheel bearings on a V?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    There is only one n in the middle of whining...

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

I have some whining too, but mine comes from the passenger seat.
    Sometimes at the most inopportune moments.
    It's not there when I'm driving alone, so I think I may need to replace the passenger.
    NCOGNITO and NCOGNITO like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by pato View Post
    I have some whining too, but mine comes from the passenger seat.
    Sometimes at the most inopportune moments.
    It's not there when I'm driving alone, so I think I may need to replace the passenger.
    pato,

Maybe it was the long weekend. Maybe it's being too accustomed to reading so many different threads over the course of a day and jumping right in to see what we can do. I was opening manuals and trying to see if there was any information I could provide and was really perplexed by this particular problem...until I realized that you didn't actually have a problem with the vehicle...

Thanks for the laugh!
    Sarah (Assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service
    pato and pato like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.