replacing starter and motor mounts. some notes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By D3l7a3ch0
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, replacing starter and motor mounts. some notes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; this is the view over the passenger side of the engine bay, with the starter, exhaust manifold, and catalytic converters ...
    D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

replacing starter and motor mounts. some notes

this is the view over the passenger side of the engine bay, with the starter, exhaust manifold, and catalytic converters removed. makes access to the motor mounts clear and unobstructed.

driver side:

things I will be replacing:

starter
    motor mounts
    spark plugs--they look great, and they're dry... but why not.
    ignition wires--mine were old and dried out, and tore during removal. set of 8 is roughly $50 at my local auto parts store. (for example: Duralast part # 4714)

I stripped ALL FOUR of my catalytic converter-to-exhaust manifold nuts, even with the proper 6-point (don't use a deep well 12-point... ever) impact socket. they're just too soft for repeated use. I had to grind the studs off after removing the cats and manifold from the vehicle as a unit.

with them out of the car and in a vise, it's too easy to drill the holes a size or two bigger, and throw in the highest grade bolt and nuts I can find off the shelf at the parts store.

I'm working through the night, and I will update as I come to something significant with the motor mounts. my plan is to run a ratchet strap under the motor, looped over the cross brace, and raise one side of the motor at a time.

from what I can tell, the sequence has to go:
    -loosen lower motor mount bushing nut
    -support the engine
    -remove upper motor mount-to-block bolts
    -raise the engine
    -replace motor mounts, reverse previous 4 steps

I'm using revshift urethane mounts, and the studs are rather long. they came with beefy nylock nuts, too, so even if the studs will clear, I think I will grind the studs down to make life easier.

I will update again after the first motor mount is done.

I'm also taking the starter to be rebuilt tomorrow. worst case, I can get a lifetime-warrantied remanufactured starter from my local auto parts store for $120.

the toasted starter solenoid
    http://i.imgur.com/DR1rx.jpg

the new one is going in with a heat shield.

if you're removing only the starter: it's not going to happen with blown "hydro" motor mounts. you'll need to move the exhaust. what makes this risky is the soft metal of the nuts at the top of the catalytic converter. when those get stripped, your next option is the exhaust manifold, and to be safe, spark plugs and dipstick tube... and chances are, you're going to rip the ignition wires during removal.

//I took another shot at the exhaust nuts with a plain o'l box wrench. and it backed the stud out, rather than coming loose. so maybe I wasn't supposed to use an impact gun.

I'm not a professional mechanic anymore, but I asked myself if anyone should trust me to work on their car. all I can say for myself is: I trust me. and I like driving my car. and I also like dollars. so.

this is me with my can-do attitude and Do-It-Yourself approach

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    HAMSTAR, I can see you prefer a Do-It-Yourself approach and I can appreciate that. If you still haven't found a fix after your attempts, I would recommend visiting your Cadillac dealership for a thorough diagnosis.

Glad to see the community is already responding with helpful feedback!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Katie, as I work on this, your words keep running through my mind on a scrolling marquee.

grinding nuts at 3 am?
    http://i.imgur.com/AVyCj.jpg

//thursday 2:40pm... stopping for parts, they are on order, due to come in tomorrow. nothing special, just plugs, wires, starter, and some wrenches to make things go smoothly. (like a 13mm ratcheting for the exhaust manifold-to-block bolts)

time for some sun, then an epic nap
    http://i.imgur.com/z15Te.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: replacing starter and motor mounts. some notes

parts

starter w/ lifetime warranty--isn't it beautiful? Ultima remanufactured pn: 03-3810
    plugs-- ACDelco pn: 41-110 (box of 8 pn: 8#41-110)
    wires-- BWD Select pn: CH7883
    bolts to replace double threaded studs on the exhaust--catalytic converter side is not threaded. there's a little less shoulder on the bolt heads, but the metal is stronger and the bolt doesn't require a deep socket. size: M10-1.50 x 30mm (any longer or shorter than 30mm is less than ideal)
    revshift motor mount bushings

stock bushing against revshift:

the revshift studs are LONG. longer than the stock studs, which were excessively long themselves. so I went about grinding them down.

this is the only modification I made to the revshift bushings, to make reinstall easier. ...5 or 6 turns (threads). I eyeballed it with a grinder and deburred with a file.

the revshift bushings look like they would still fit without being shortened, but I'm not willing to install just to verify *sorry*

I didn't want to put a jack against the oil pan, so I anchored a ratchet strap to the cross brace, and the opposite motor mount, and lifted/replaced one side at a time.

I removed the upper and lower brackets because I'm in a delicate leisurely mood, and didn't feel like monkeying with studs, or want to lift the engine more than 1 inch and risk pinching the lines on top of the bell housing.

what you're seeing here is a 2x2 plank about 14 inches long resting along the bottom of the heads to keep the strap from interfering with the removal/install.

action pose:

no special tools needed. by my guesstimate, the stock bolts were less than 50 ft/lbs to break loose.

it's all reinstall from here. with the extra space around the mounts, the starter has room to reinstall with everything in place.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Brand new stock mounts are taller than old mounts as well..

ctsvjeff is offline Banned
    Dude, it's just motor mounts and a starter not some epic battle. Take your pills and relax..

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

LOL @ Action Pose.

Only step you seem to be missing is replacing the exhaust manifold with headers. LOL

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Quote Originally Posted by odthetruth View Post
    LOL @ Action Pose.

Only step you seem to be missing is replacing the exhaust manifold with headers. LOL
    oh I know! I asked friends to see if they knew anyone selling some? but I was not successful. it's not so difficult replacing headers, so... I gave up after the initial round of calls.

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    oh I know! I asked friends to see if they knew anyone selling some? but I was not successful. it's not so difficult replacing headers, so... I gave up after the initial round of calls.
    LOL Gotcha. I snatched up some pacesetters on amazon earlier this year. Around black friday last year, I saw them going for under $200... and then that deal was gone by the time I went to purchase myself. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by odthetruth View Post
    LOL Gotcha. I snatched up some pacesetters on amazon earlier this year. Around black friday last year, I saw them going for under $200... and then that deal was gone by the time I went to purchase myself. LOL
    all I could find were new longtube/full exhaust kits for $2000-ish. I would have jumped on anything around your price that is not cast iron. like, anything

especially now. this is how I solved the seized stud problem. had to do it to two studs. threads are still viable, but it's time for some headers.

I cleared some material on top, for shoulder room just in case the threads don't hold and I need to use a bolt and nut.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvjeff View Post
    Dude, it's just motor mounts and a starter not some epic battle. Take your pills and relax..

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    Brand new stock mounts are taller than old mounts as well..

LOL Removing stripped header bolts always sucks.

Here's the trick I had done on it (I suck at welding and painting... I don't have the precise hands for either)

Headers are the way to go.

that's a good idea!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.