Thunk from front end when hitting bumps in the road and shifting hard-- motor mounts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Thunk from front end when hitting bumps in the road and shifting hard-- motor mounts? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Still getting to know my new 06 CTS-V. Put in the CS diff bushing and UUC shifter last week, which ...
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Thunk from front end when hitting bumps in the road and shifting hard-- motor mounts?

Still getting to know my new 06 CTS-V. Put in the CS diff bushing and UUC shifter last week, which made the car ride and feel MUCH tighter. However, I'm now beginning to notice noises that I didn't notice before, or that I did notice, but attributed to the wrong cause.

Anyway, I do have a thunk that comes from the drivetrain, even after the CS bushing and UUC shifter. I think this may be the dual-mass flywheel. It only happens when I drive it because I clutch-dump like I stole the car (blame years high-revving imports and dreading letting the tach drop).

Today, noticed a NEW thunk from the engine. When I hit a bump or big crack in the road-- thunk. Is that the dreaded motor mounts? I thought it would only be a matter of time, given I live in Baltimore, but three weeks?

What do you guys think?

HAM

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Re: Thunk from front end when hitting bumps in the road and shifting hard-- motor mou

Your three big remaining areas to address to rid the clunk are (1) motor mounts (2) flywheel and (3) possibly trans mount. It is also possible the rubber coupling of the two piece driveshaft is contributing but the three I listed are the main ones.

You really can't be clutch dumping in this car or your next thread will be..."Newbie...please walk me through differential replacement options..."

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Thunk from front end when hitting bumps in the road and shifting hard-- motor mou

HAMSTAR, I can see you prefer a Do-It-Yourself approach and I can appreciate that. If you still haven't found a fix after your attempts, I would recommend visiting your Cadillac dealership for a thorough diagnosis.

Glad to see the community is already responding with helpful feedback!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Juggernaut850 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    May also be sway bar bushings or end links. They would tend to make noise when the bump is isolated to one wheel or the other, less so when both wheels contact a bump at the same time like a driveway or such.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut850 View Post
    May also be sway bar bushings or end links. They would tend to make noise when the bump is isolated to one wheel or the other, less so when both wheels contact a bump at the same time like a driveway or such.
    Good idea. I will look out for that.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    HAMSTAR, I can see you prefer a Do-It-Yourself approach and I can appreciate that. If you still haven't found a fix after your attempts, I would recommend visiting your Cadillac dealership for a thorough diagnosis.

Glad to see the community is already responding with helpful feedback!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Hi Katie, from what I can see, virtually every one of these Vs encounters the following problems: rear diff bushing, sloppy shifting, motor mounts, diff failure and chronic wheel hop almost from when the cars roll off the lot. I would think people would take Cadillac more seriously if they had done something about it when the cars were in production, rather than building them from 2004 to 2007 with only minor modifications that didn't address the problems in a material way.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

As far as I'm concerned, Katie should be banned from the forum for spamming and potentially misleading users about Cadillac's willingness to address the issues that we have to deal with ourselves. I assume that it's done out of ignorance, but if not, it's malicious. Either way, it needs to be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, Katie should be banned from the forum for spamming and potentially misleading users about Cadillac's willingness to address the issues that we have to deal with ourselves. I assume that it's done out of ignorance, but if not, it's malicious. Either way, it needs to be stopped.
    Aw, I don't think it's that bad. She probably on the social media team, got a bunch of browsers open to a bunch of different forums, writing the same thing over and over and over again. Doing her job.

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V | 07 Aprilia Tuono R
    The engine, trans and brakes is the only thing that sold these cars. Suckered me right in... If you really drive your car and you are not a serious diy forget it buy a bmw. The implementation of rubber bushings and mounts on the V1 is pathetic. Most of these mounts are shot before the run flats are worn out. Luckily have aftermarket companies to make parts to address these issues. Once addressed the car is amazing, I often wonder if any gm engineer has had the chance to drive a sorted V1 where the car is actually smooth at 5k in 1st gear and you can actually feel a positive shift to 2nd without feeling like the car is puking on itself. Its taken me 2.5 years to sort most of it out, had I bought an m3 it would have been sorted day 1. I like my V, but out of the box its a fail for every purpose it was designed for except scaring people with its combination of power, lack of overall control and non-existent feedback...

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

If you want a BMW, go buy one. Then, spend your time on their forum complaining about other problems including a perpetual money shortage and leave us alone.

As far as the MMs go, a rough engine shutdown is a sure sign that you need new MMs. If that's the case, you have several options.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Zing!

Haha my v is sorted now no way I would consider another sedan. Lucky better parts are reasonable. Its not as simple as mm imo. I will re-iterate once sorted its an incredible amazing sedan. Carry on, done with complaints I am happy and would do it over again.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by garrettg View Post
    The engine, trans and brakes is the only thing that sold these cars. Suckered me right in... If you really drive your car and you are not a serious diy forget it buy a bmw.
    I would disagree on two accounts: First, one major thing that sold them was the style. Second, BMW is NOT god's gift to reliability or performance. I've run with some quick BMW's and we had to pull off so their brakes could cool. And, If I had to pick between owning the V or owning an M-car after the warranty was up, I would choose the V any day of the week. The V is high-performance car that your drunken shade tree mechanic can easily work on without special tools or proprietary computers for *every single job*.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    I would think people would take Cadillac more seriously if they had done something about it when the cars were in production, rather than building them from 2004 to 2007 with only minor modifications that didn't address the problems in a material way.
    This must be your first GM product. For the most part, I love GM cars, but they are notorious for screwing up some small detail, sometimes even corporately acknowledging that it's screwed up, and then going on for years and years making it the same defective way...

In other news, I've also got a front-end clunk. I thought it was the struts (I wanted to upgrade to FG2's anyway) so I replaced them and still have it. Next up is replacement of the sway bar bushings and end-links.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    I would disagree on two accounts: First, one major thing that sold them was the style. Second, BMW is NOT god's gift to reliability or performance. I've run with some quick BMW's and we had to pull off so their brakes could cool. And, If I had to pick between owning the V or owning an M-car after the warranty was up, I would choose the V any day of the week. The V is high-performance car that your drunken shade tree mechanic can easily work on without special tools or proprietary computers for *every single job*.

This must be your first GM product. For the most part, I love GM cars, but they are notorious for screwing up some small detail, sometimes even corporately acknowledging that it's screwed up, and then going on for years and years making it the same defective way...

In other news, I've also got a front-end clunk. I thought it was the struts (I wanted to upgrade to FG2's anyway) so I replaced them and still have it. Next up is replacement of the sway bar bushings and end-links.
    We will have to disagree about what sold the car, the styling/interior was just ok(have you had your bumper melt around the headlights on a hot summer day?, does your high 3rd brake light still work?) it was all about rwd sedan, 400 reliable hp, manual, brembos, and all that for <2 tons. And yes I cross shopped several bmw variations and went with the V due to maint costs. So you are exactly right on the warranty part but back to the original post in that I didn't think it would need this much sorting to be a controllable, comfortable beast and by sorting I don't mean replacing stock parts with stock parts under warranty or otherwise. Cadillac service for the record has been great, no complaints, new trans(after rebuilding the original one started making noise) and diff(3rd gen replaced with 4th gen after lots of noise) installed right at the end of the 5 year powertrain. I don't drag race, I don't drop the clutch, I drive the car from point a to point b sometimes spirited. The point is in stock trim the car needs some help. Its more time than money and as already posted I would sort another one in the future.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I bought the car 50% on the exterior (I will poke you in the eye with a hot soldering iron if you don't agree that the V1 looks better than V2) and 50% powertrain.

Yes the Nav f'n blows, all the mounts suck, the diff sucks, the sail panels are stupid, the Bose system blows, etc, etc.

BUT, I've replaced 90% of that $hit with something better and I still love my V1.

Soldering iron standing by......

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

1000% agree with the styling of the V1 vs. the V2. The Nav does suck but it doesn't bother me as I have other means. The stereo sucks but doesn't bother me cause I would rather listen to the roar of my LS at 5000 RPM. My third brake light works just fine. The only thing I've had to replace is the wiper motor. I have the 2006 Diff (under warranty).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.