Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Not looking good. What am I in for ?? *Picture Attached

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  JDB 
#1 ·
View attachment 91438
Didn't look like this a few weeks ago.
I am still under the 5 year warranty, and the dealer has told me the slave is covered.
Is that part of the slave wearing off ?
What all needs done to fix this ?

and while you're here...
How does this trans mount look, I think it looks fine, but thought i'd double check. She's getting ready to go in for motor mounts and a trans issue, just wanted to check on this before I take it in.
View attachment 91439

Thanks again guys.

#2 ·
I have never seen that kind of contamination in either brake or clutch fluid. My guess is that it came from an external source such as a contaminated brake fluid container or the perhaps the rubber device under the cap picked up something. Brake fluid is, of course, hygroscopic and in theory water contamination could give rise to something that looks like that. However, if it were mine and under warranty I would want the dealer to see it in case I am wrong and it is in fact something such as the slave seal deteriorating.

On the transmission mount, I would replace it when the motor mounts are done. The transmission mounts don't really break, but they do compress to the point where shifting can be affected especially if new motor mounts are installed.

#4 ·
Take one of those shop towels that doesn't produce strings or dust (not microfiber!) and wipe it clean and then pour more clutch fluid in and see if it continues to show up. I've only seen that from hard launching or heavy abuse.

#6 ·
I've actually heard that it's completely normal... it's shavings of the rubber hose that leads from the res to the connector from the slave... mildly eaten away by the brake fluid... the way a clutch works, the only way "clutch debris" could enter the fluid, is if there was a large leak in the slave, and it was somehow not losing fluid.

#7 ·
Well I decided to go clean it out; I didn't know if I should leave it there and show dealer or clean up and see if it comes back.

I syringed it out, and wiped it clean with a shop towel. The particles that look like chunks dissolved when I wiped them up,
this does make me believe that it was from my hard driving on the track. I was glad to know it was not rubber chunks

G
#9 ·
It's super fine dust from your clutch that works its way past the seal on the slave. Sometimes it clumps up and sometimes it just makes the fluid black. Excessive dust and high rpm's will produce that.

#10 ·
My clutch reservoir shows the same suspended clumps of crud every now and again and I do not abuse it. I flushed my fluid 3 times in the past 6 months as well. I see less of it each time so I think it is just mild contamination of the fluid from old fluid that was left in the lines and boiled down over time. The previous owner did let the fluid run nearly dry in the reservoir so I doubt it was ever changed before I bought the car.

#12 ·
The stock trans mount is fine and there is no way in hell the dealer would have replaced it unless it was broken in two.

#14 ·
Clutch dust is unfortunately normal to see in the fluid. Change the fluid once a year. If you track, just change all the fluids that wear quicker than others (motor oil, rear diff, clutch, brake) every spring. ...bleed brakes again before each event.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.