Not looking good. What am I in for ?? *Picture Attached
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Not looking good. What am I in for ?? *Picture Attached in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Attachment 91438 Didn't look like this a few weeks ago. I am still under the 5 year warranty, and the ...
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Not looking good. What am I in for ?? *Picture Attached

Attachment 91438
    Didn't look like this a few weeks ago.
    I am still under the 5 year warranty, and the dealer has told me the slave is covered.
    Is that part of the slave wearing off ?
    What all needs done to fix this ?

and while you're here...
    How does this trans mount look, I think it looks fine, but thought i'd double check. She's getting ready to go in for motor mounts and a trans issue, just wanted to check on this before I take it in.
    Attachment 91439

Thanks again guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Not looking good. What am I in for ?? *Picture Attached

I have never seen that kind of contamination in either brake or clutch fluid. My guess is that it came from an external source such as a contaminated brake fluid container or the perhaps the rubber device under the cap picked up something. Brake fluid is, of course, hygroscopic and in theory water contamination could give rise to something that looks like that. However, if it were mine and under warranty I would want the dealer to see it in case I am wrong and it is in fact something such as the slave seal deteriorating.

On the transmission mount, I would replace it when the motor mounts are done. The transmission mounts don't really break, but they do compress to the point where shifting can be affected especially if new motor mounts are installed.

fluid is super dot 4 GM clutch fluid.

Flushed the clutch fluid about a month ago, that is why fluid is so clean, but the debris make we worry

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    fluid is super dot 4 GM clutch fluid.

Flushed the clutch fluid about a month ago, that is why fluid is so clean, but the debris make we worry
    Take one of those shop towels that doesn't produce strings or dust (not microfiber!) and wipe it clean and then pour more clutch fluid in and see if it continues to show up. I've only seen that from hard launching or heavy abuse.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

does it mean serious problem ahead, or is it just debris from the clutch. I did take it to the track two weeks ago.

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

I've actually heard that it's completely normal... it's shavings of the rubber hose that leads from the res to the connector from the slave... mildly eaten away by the brake fluid... the way a clutch works, the only way "clutch debris" could enter the fluid, is if there was a large leak in the slave, and it was somehow not losing fluid.

Well I decided to go clean it out; I didn't know if I should leave it there and show dealer or clean up and see if it comes back.

I syringed it out, and wiped it clean with a shop towel. The particles that look like chunks dissolved when I wiped them up,
    this does make me believe that it was from my hard driving on the track. I was glad to know it was not rubber chunks

does it mean serious problem ahead, or is it just debris from the clutch. I did take it to the track two weeks ago.
    Doesn't necessarily mean trouble ahead, and the fact you tracked it could be why you had that clutch dust in there. Just keep an eye on it.

PISNUOFF Guest

It's super fine dust from your clutch that works its way past the seal on the slave. Sometimes it clumps up and sometimes it just makes the fluid black. Excessive dust and high rpm's will produce that.

Thomas M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

My clutch reservoir shows the same suspended clumps of crud every now and again and I do not abuse it. I flushed my fluid 3 times in the past 6 months as well. I see less of it each time so I think it is just mild contamination of the fluid from old fluid that was left in the lines and boiled down over time. The previous owner did let the fluid run nearly dry in the reservoir so I doubt it was ever changed before I bought the car.

How about that trans mount ? It does not look compressed at all to me, but it does look a little angled, not straight. What do you guys think?

Dealer did a rear main seal a few thousand miles ago, would they have put in a new mount at the same time ? I'm at 75k

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

How about that trans mount ? It does not look compressed at all to me, but it does look a little angled, not straight. What do you guys think?

Dealer did a rear main seal a few thousand miles ago, would they have put in a new mount at the same time ? I'm at 75k
    The stock trans mount is fine and there is no way in hell the dealer would have replaced it unless it was broken in two.

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    The stock trans mount is fine and there is no way in hell the dealer would have replaced it unless it was broken in two.
    I should take a pic of my trans mount next time I'm under the car. It has a giant hole in the middle of it.
    Don't worry STS, your mount is good.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Clutch dust is unfortunately normal to see in the fluid. Change the fluid once a year. If you track, just change all the fluids that wear quicker than others (motor oil, rear diff, clutch, brake) every spring. ...bleed brakes again before each event.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.