A/C compressor seized up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, A/C compressor seized up in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hoping for some help from the experts. What limited car knowledge I have, I've learned from issues that arise on ...
    AngryHog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Unhappy A/C compressor seized up

Hoping for some help from the experts. What limited car knowledge I have, I've learned from issues that arise on my cars that I have to fix. Until now, I've never had A/C problems so I am out of my comfort zone.

Was sitting in my '06 CTS-V in the garage yesterday, listening to the stereo (just did some upgrades in the trunk) with the car idling and decided to kick the A/C on. I pushed the button and a few seconds later, smoke came out from under the hood. I shut the car off, popped the hood, and could see it was coming from the passenger side. Upon further investigation, I found the belt for the compressor to be snapped and just dangling there. I fished it out and tried turning the compressor by hand. It moves about 1mm in either direction. So obviously when I engaged the compressor, it was seized up and the belt was sacrificed.

As I said, I know very little about A/C systems. I've been reading a ton of stuff on the web and see mixed advice on what should be replaced when the compressor is replaced. I can get a new one for just under $300. I just need to know what else to replace. Not sure I want to tackle the labor myself, but I'd at least like to purchase the parts myself to keep the overall cost down. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Essential info: 2006 CTS-V, 80k miles, Maggie, always felt like the A/C was never really that great in this car. My daily driver 2002 Sentra has much better A/C. So maybe it's always been on the brink of going out.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

-AngryHog

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kjr6306 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Maggied.

Re: A/C compressor seized up

It really not that big of a deal. No different that doing a water pump or any other of your belt driven accessories. If you have average skills and basic tools you can at least replace the compressor. Worse case if you dont feel comfortable refilling the system after you are done you can take it somewhere and have a shop recharge it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi AngryHog,

I'm sorry to hear about the compressor! I know there are lots of Do-It-Yourselfers on this forum who will most likely chime in soon. In the meantime, however, I'm always happy to help where I can so send me a private message anytime for further assistance.

If it helps, here is a list of parts sites you may find useful:

http://www.acdelco.com
    http://www.advanceautoparts.com
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
    http://www.autozone.com
    http://www.kanter.com

(GM neither maintains nor endorses these sites and will not be responsible for their contents.)

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

You should probably replace the orifice tube and the accumulator while you have the system open. Add refrigerant oil, get the system professionally charged (DO NOT use a stupid home charging kit, they don't work!) and make sure you check for leaks when you're done.

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

how cold was the A/C before the compressor went bad? I wonder if the clutch/bearing completely shit the bed.

bjazz69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    If replacing the compressor or opening any part of the system it needs to be vacuumed replacing the orifice is not always necessary but I would replace the accumulator you do not need to add oil if the compressor is already filled in fact do not add more oil you can get most the tools from a local auto part store if not then have someone with the tools do it.

bjazz69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The compressor may not be bad the bearings in the pulley mast be shot if so you can replace the pulley and bearing assembly without having to pull the compressor or opening the system

2004Vman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I just had to put a new compressor on my 04 CTS-V. If you cant turn in by hand your compressor took a crap. I would recomend a compressor kit and A/C flush to wash the metal out of the system. These systems do not have an actual accumulator they have a removable desiccant bag in the side of the condensor with a plug that has a filter in it. The plug and desiccant bag come in a kit because they will be full of metal. It is also recomended to replace the expansion valve but thats in the dash by the evaporator so I didn't do that on my setup I just hope the A/C flush did its job. If you don't have a good A/C machine and stuff I would recomend taking it somewhere. Its also a pain getting the compressor out. When I looked it up on Mitchell it said to remove the radiator and condensor and take it out the front but I was able to sneak it out the side after removing the wheel, fenderwell plastics, and swaybar. Hope this helps.

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

the majority of the gunk is usually all caught in the orifice tube.

Motown Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Silver V Sport Susp.

Hog, Check out his link. Cheap and new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...=220980806285+

AngryHog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Thanks everyone. I had actually seen this other auction on eBay and was kicking it around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-REPAIR-KI...ht_4394wt_1148

I installed my supercharger myself, so I'm thinking the compressor, etc wouldn't be above my capabilities. I was more concerned with "what else should I replace" since A/C systems are a new realm for me. Does anyone feel the above auction would cover what I would need? If so, do I install everything THEN get it flushed or should I get it flushed after removing the old but before installing the new compressor? I guess I just don't know where the actual output of the flush happens and I'd hate to flush all the gunk into my shiny new compressor. And what should I expect to pay for a flush and fill at a local or chain shop? Thanks all!

-AngryHog

2004Vman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Yes that kit has everything you need. The system must be flushed before you install the compressor. You could actually flush it yourself. You should be able to buy it at any auto parts store. It usually comes in like a litre can. Reverse flush it so you don't send any metal towards the expansion valve. I would also suggest wearing a mask or something because its really bad stuff. also don't put the desiccant bag in until you have it somewhere to vacuum pump the system because thats what keeps your system moisture free, you don't want it to sit in a system thats been opened up for very long. Getting your system charged will probably vary quite a bit from shop to shop and R-134a also went up some more this year.

Jsmitty02z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

My AC compressor took a shit also. I was wondering us it the same compressor for f-bodies or is it different. I was told it could also becsamecas truck compressor. I see they sale them on ebay as LS1 LS2 LS6. are they all the same?? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.