Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Hmmm . . . BMW guy looking at a V1

6K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  Strike_Zero 
#1 ·
After driving several cars over the last few months, I'm liking the V.

I'm more of a BMW guy. I originally was thinking 2005/6 GTO (since I had an 04) and BMW M5 but I decided to give the V a try and it talks a language I can understand. I knew what the power/tq delivery was like, but the chassis appears to be pretty damn nice.

The tires on the one I test drove wasn't up to par and the Nivomats suck, but the interior is nicely appointed and optioned, seat are kinda meh, but ok.

So now that I have the fever for a black/black V1 . . . can someone point me in the direction of a mostly stock 2005 for around $17K w/ less than 100K :D

-=PJ

#7 ·
I'm actually waiting on some more information from the dealer. They are still doing some touch-up work on some of the scratches.

Strangely, I prefer the LS6 over the LS2. The idle, the top end pull and slight rock of engine is awesome. Since this is a DD, I'm going to TRY and not MOD it. . . . . . . . . .too much :bouncy:

#24 ·
FINALLY had some time to work the TimeBomb (as christen by some friends). The radiator from Pete at Alradco was a true drop in affair. There is one mount on the A/C condenser that doesn't line up, I'll have to bust out the dremel and CAREFULLY slot it so I can secure it to the radiator.

I thought BMW's has crappy small radiators, this Denso I pulled out is SMALL. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Time pull her off the ramps and go for a drive in this 90* summer time weather!!

#25 · (Edited)
I put another 1500 miles on TimeBomb since my last updated (Alradco is awesome!!)

I ordered diff mount + diff bushing + shifter bushing from CS and motor + trans mounts from Rev-Shift.

If you do not get the bushing tool with diff mount from CS, you must be a masochist!! It took a longer time dropping and reinstalling the Diff than pressing the bushing out and in (literally 6 minutes using hand tools). Here is what I pressed out :annoyed:

I also found grease EVERYWHERE under car. It looks as though the dealer I bought this from only does 119 point inspections as the 120th point was checking and securing the driveshaft bolts . . . yup all of them were finger tight with very little grease left in the CV Joint. I took it apart and it looked ok, packed it with grease and reassembled it. There were no alignment marks on the driveshaft or pinion so I'll have to play roulette over the next few days to get it aligned correctly.

Finally is the trans mount . . .

I think they call that "perished". Hopefully I can get the RevShift mount in there when it arrives.

So far after the diff mount and bushing :yup:. It literally cut the Drivetrain slop in half. I can't comment on the vibration since the driveshaft isn't properly aligned :mad2:

#27 · (Edited)
Took some time yesterday to installed the the RevShift insert(blue). The install was rather easy.
  1. I jacked the transmission up.
  2. Dropped the exhaust
  3. Marked the location of the cross member
  4. Removed the crossmember
  5. Took a pry bar and opened the "perished" mount a little
  6. Sprayed the insert and mount with silicon spray
  7. Wacked it in with a rubber 3lbs mallet.

I took the car out for a test and it shifted like butter. The driveline responds MUCH better and faster. ~70% of the "spoon in peanut butter" shifter feel is gone!! Getting first and reverse are easier than ever . . .

Now for the vibration . . . there was a LOT more than with the perished mount. It may because of the dual mass turd now transmitting more vibes due to a more solid mount. :suspect: It vibed enough to rattle the exhaust and other components under the car. I'm going to use http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Driveline-Vibration-FAQ.pdf to do some troubleshooting tonight.

I attempted to reindex the driveshaft (no alignment dot on the diff pinion) again and no love . . . . will try this again tonight.

Still have motor mounts and shocks to do . . .

#28 · (Edited)
Motor mounts and front shocks = DONE!!

The Driver side mount looked new . . . and passenger side is "perished"

After the temperature rose from nice to hell, I got lazy and didn't attempt to try indexing the driveshaft.

I did take it out for a few minutes but not enough the run through the full battery of test from the PDF. I'm starting to think the vibes are from the dual-mass turd. But it feels like a brand new car with the RevShift mounts and Creative-Steel Diff stuffs . . .

#30 ·
Haven't updated it in while (to busy working :rant2:)

I took out the RevShift insert and stock mount (it's really bad) along with all the washers and installed CS Transmission mount. It quiet things down in a hurry. I have LS7 clutch kit and flywheel coming this week to take care of dual mass turd. One of the local performance shops gave me (what I believe to be) a reasonable quote (~$560) to get it done.

I'm also venturing to the local Cadillac dealership today (say a prayer for me). I haven't been to the dealership for any of my cars for work in the last 10 years. However, with the little time I have these days, I need to farm out some tasks. I hope this dealer doesn't attempt to run off with my wallet.

-=PJ

#31 ·
Well . . . just got back from the dealership. My wallet is still intact . . . YAY!! A few niggles I'm going to have to sort (small leak on the left exhaust manifold). They corrected the Competition Mode issue. I also picked up another Key and fob while I was there.

Unfortunately, I have to go back tomorrow. I asked them to check and index the driveshaft since I hear a rumble in gears 3-5 and feel it in 6th gear. They indicated the noise in 6th was slight (I don't consider vibrating the whole car as slight). They turned it 180*. On the test drive home, the noise is louder and can now be felt in gears 3-5 and MUCH worse in 6th. :annoyed:

-=PJ

#33 ·
Well, since you have the same name as me, I think it's only fitting that you come up to MI and do all of the same maintenance mods to mine that you did to yours. :)

You've been pretty busy in the first year! Most of those things are on my list of "to do". One easy one you can knock out is filling the prop shaft bearing since I guarantee it is sagging on you and very sloppy given the state of all the other rubber under there. Won't help with your current drivetrain noise though.

Did you get the clutch swapped yet? I'm wondering if the stock worn/busted dual mass is part of that vibration? I'm about to turn 100k on my maggied V w/ stock clutch and stock diff. Still going strong but getting a little damp around the passenger axle shaft and some vibrations in the drivetrain and some whine from the diff.

Good luck and I'm fine with you coming up and helping me with some maintenance to mine!

-PJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.