Driveshaft replacement - knocking at low speed acceleration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Driveshaft replacement - knocking at low speed acceleration in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; What's the latest on replacing the driveshaft/propeller shaft? Older threads had a OEM part number for the complete assembly of ...
    V-Therapy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Driveshaft replacement - knocking at low speed acceleration

What's the latest on replacing the driveshaft/propeller shaft? Older threads had a OEM part number for the complete assembly of both shaft plus center bearing. Is that the only way to buy it?

Some discussion of a g-force aftermarket part but couldn't find anyone happy with that.

I have an interesting problem. All of a sudden I started getting a vibration. Also a knocking at lower speeds under acceleration. I was thinking it was the center support bearing. Mechanic says something is loose inside the rear half shaft. Says he can hear something metal tumbling around when he turns the shaft. Anyone else had this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Driveshaft replacement - knocking at low speed acceleration

Your mechanic's report sounds like he is referring to the constant velocity joint. Each half shaft has two of those - one inner and one outer. They are covered by rubber boots and the bearings and bearing races are serviceable.

family-man is offline Cadillac Owners Member

damn darkman...you know everything about the V, inside and out!!!

If I take the mechanic at face value (and he's usually right on), he says that he can hear a piece of metal rolling around inside the shaft. He says he can tap on the shaft and get the piece to move. He said the CV joints were fine.

I didn't have the time, but now I'll have to make time, to work on it myself.

For what it is worth, the OEM half shafts are hollow.

vetteboy2k is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domestic-driveshafts/cadillac

Frank at DSS can set you up with either an aluminum 1 piece or a carbon fiber 1 piece.

I have the carbon fiber shaft and been running it since August now with no problems and absolutely no vibrations. I'd highly recommend this.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Your mechanic's report sounds like he is referring to the constant velocity joint. Each half shaft has two of those - one inner and one outer. They are covered by rubber boots and the bearings and bearing races are serviceable.
    Darkman,
    Thanks for the info. I got the car up and dropped the exhaust. i have no idea what my mechanic was talking about. The best I can tell is that the bushing around the center support bearing has a little too much give plus the rear section of the prop shaft may be moving too much. I think the CV joint is hitting the center support heat shield. Do you know how much front to back movement is normal? You said the CVs were serviceable. Do you have any info?

Since I`m also getting a vibration, I`m guessing I need to replace the whole assembly anyway. Does that sound right?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I am still confused as whether you are chasing a prop (drive) shaft issue, or a half-shaft (axle) problem. The prop shaft is not considered serviceable, but I have not kept up with aftermarket parts that may be available other than the GeForce unit you've already mentioned.

On the half shafts there are some options if the problem is with them:

1. You could service the CV joints yourself.
    2. RockAuto has a halfshaft rebuild service for $160/side. This is involves some down time because you would have to send them your halfshafts.
    3. You could look at the aftermarket alternatives which would also eliminate wheel-hop.
    4. You could buy some used ones - I have a set of slightly used 2006 halfshafts somewhere in the classifieds, but there may be others since a lot folks bought the GeForce aftermarket units.

slick_black_v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RAVEN BLACK CTS-V 05

Hi All!
    I have the exact same problem, driveshaft is knocking at low speeds or when going uphill, also getting some vibration, took it to the dealership, got charged an arm and a leg, they changed engine support bushings and the tranny bushings. Worked Ok for a day then vibration came right back.

V-Therapy, Did you fix you driveshaft issue?

LS6Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by slick_black_v View Post
    Hi All!
    I have the exact same problem, driveshaft is knocking at low speeds or when going uphill, also getting some vibration, took it to the dealership, got charged an arm and a leg, they changed engine support bushings and the tranny bushings. Worked Ok for a day then vibration came right back.

V-Therapy, Did you fix you driveshaft issue?
    What mileage do you guys have? After my recent adventures with drivetrain vibrations, depending on your mileage I would point you to the POS dual mass flywheel in these things...

Not something most mechanics think about at first, because unless they have specific experience with this car, they don't think of a flywheel to be the problem (or even know that our cars have a "special" flywheel)

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Slick_black_v,
    Did you talk to the dealer once the issue started to act up the next day? If you would like you can send me your contact information (name, phone number, address, email address) along with your VIN number, mileage and the name of the dealership that you worked with I will look into this for you.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

slick_black_v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RAVEN BLACK CTS-V 05

Hi Breanne,
    Well I did not call or go back to the dealer, This is was the second time I've gone to the dealer, first time it took two weeks to change a transmission mount, The second time (a week after I recieved the car) it took more than 20 days to change the engine mounts,(about 5 days to get the part and 15 to install it).
    The thing is, before taking the car the second time I was about 100 miles from my house and was worried I would not make it, another mechanic and I took a look at it on a lift and we checked the motor mounts and they seemed fine. Yet the dealership rep said they could not find the vibration but I needed to have the engine mounts changed.
    When I got the car back the second time the vibration was gone. When I washed the car that very night I noticed that they broke off a wheel lug. Next day took it for a trip no vibration until I went uphill, now its back constant and worse,
    I dont trust the dealer and my car is still a driveway ornament.
    Please send me your email And I will send you my VIN and info and the dealers info.

----------

Well my V's got 43K on it. Would the flywheel act up at all rpm's? Clutch engagement feels great, very smooth, But, i have never had a car with a dual mass flywheel.
    My car's vibration gets really pronounced when under load, like going uphill, But it also seems like a bearing since it might not be present until it warms up, like a 15 minute trip. It feels like a bad universal joint (kind of like Im too high of a gear.)

Technikal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts-v

I too have this issue with my 07 v. Only 53k. Was told I have to change out the entire drive shaft. Because the cv's are shot. I have a hard time thinking that there is only $800+ fixes. $1k for the part alone for a GM supplied part. There has to be a more realistic answer

silentwig is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I thought I saw the driveshaft listed on gmpartsdirect for $775? correction $730.16

When comparing prices from GMpartsdirect you should include the shipping, processing & handling charges for which they are notorious.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.