My Cadillac Dealer Service is Pitiful
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, My Cadillac Dealer Service is Pitiful in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; It is a shame that Cadillac is trying so hard to build cars for enthusiasts when those same enthusiasts must ...
    crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

My Cadillac Dealer Service is Pitiful

It is a shame that Cadillac is trying so hard to build cars for enthusiasts when those same enthusiasts must deal with dealer service departments that know nothing about their own cars and act like they are still dealing with 75 year olds in white patent leather shoes.

I love my '05 V but I have unable to get my dealer to do such simple things as enable my alarm system and fix a tire that loses two pounds of air per day.
    My "Service Consultant" at Jim Coleman Cadillac (Bethesda, MD) is an amiable dunce who seems to know less about the V than any random person with a subscription to Car & Driver. She knew nothing about the alarm problem on the '05s wanted to convince me that the alarm was working properly even though there was no alarm icon on the dash and it was impossible to get the alarm to sound when tested.

She talks to me like I am retarded, explaining how tire pressures may change when tires warmup, seemingly unaware that her explanation has nothing to do with the problem that I was complaining about.

After three days in the shop, the alarm still doesn't work and the tire still loses pressure at a rate of two pounds per day. She seemed quite perplexed about the tire because it "was taken off the car and rebalanced which should fix the problem." HUH?

I faxed her the info from the forum FAQ regarding the alarm. Her response was a classic. She told me that "these are new cars and we really don't know much about them." She asked me to postpone bringing the car back while she consulted her manager about what to do next. I am not sure what is special about fixing a leaking tire or following the instructions in an existing service bulletin, but the "brain trust" is hard at work.

Finally, I had asked her about the getting the dealership to install the Corsa exhaust, and her "research" led her to tell me that no such exhaust was available as a package, but the parts depatment could coble together an exhaust system for me by special order after they examined my car to determine what might work. Wow. So much for the Cadillac/Corsa alliance.

How can any serious dealership be so incompetent in its service department? Why do so many dealers seem so oblivious to the fact that Cadillac (corporate) is trying to attract performance-minded buyers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rob Ketcham is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: My Cadillac Dealer Service is Pitiful

Sad to say, your tale rings true. My dealer, GM Giant, here in MD also, first argued with me that I had a LS6 until I raised the hood. And it went downhill from there. It took 30 Plus days to finally get the transmission corrected (a new one was finally ordered to replace the original defective unit). The dealer is not the whole problem however. Cadillac zone parts and service personnel still treat the dealer and customer as the enemy. Its the old penny wise and pound foolish syndrome. It is far different with my Mercedes experiences. Everytime one of my AMG Mercedes has had a problem over the past few years, it has been corrected with much efficiency--parts are flown in, whatever it takes. My V is truly a special car, rewarding to drive because it is so well balanced, responsive and powerful, and in my view, very appealing to look at. But the quality of the dealer network in this part of the world is submarginal. I once went to Coleman to look at the fourth generation Seville when it came out, and was so turned off by the grubby service bays and shabby sales facilitities that I didn't consider a Cadillac again until I heard about the V sometime last fall. When the Saturn franchises were being sold there was much required in the way of capital and commitment. It seems that GM has grandfathered its Cadillac dealers without regard to capital or commitment.
    There are a couple of good Cadillac dealers in the DC area, so at least you have a choice. My impression is that there is good dealer in Alexandria and one out near Fairfax. They are 100 miles or so from me or I'd be using them myself.
    Let us hope that GM is taking some good notes from this site.
    Rob Ketcham

Redline CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): GROO-V

Crowan

Are you still having problems?? I can help you out if you don't mind bringing the car to Alexandria...

James

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I'm still without an alarm and I have no confidence in my previous dealer. Alexandria is not a big problem at all. What do you suggest?

Carl

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Alexandria must mean Lindsay and I must say that I was very impressed with their handling of some V issues when they first started arriving in February. This is true of the sales department and the service department.

Big thumbs up from me.

I know of others with positive things to say about them, too.

Doug

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Thumbs down Re: My Cadillac Dealer Service is Pitiful

The Cadillac that I go to in North Jersey where I live has such incompetent tech, that I had to explain to some of them who unfortunelty ended up working on my car what the difference between the 275hp and 300hp N* engines were. This eventually led me to only getting the oil changed there and having all major work done by my trusty mechanic who I've known for years. I'm living down in West Chester, PA and there is a big Cadillac/Saab dealer down here. I've already had work done there, and I'm happy to say that these people actually know what they are talking about to some extent. It all depends on which dealer you go to, what kind of service you will get.

When I had my roght front wheel hub/bearing replaced, I got an estimate from my local dealer, and the next closest one. The other dealer which was about 25 miles away quoted me a price that was about $400 cheaper than my local dealer. I ened up having my mechanic fix it cause he was about $500 cheaper than both, plus my extended warranty would cover his work.

I think that Cadillac really needs to educate their dealers more about the cars they sell so they don't look like such idiots when we spout off technical terms and get stared back at as if the sales person were a deer looking into a cars headlights. It doesn't inspire much confidence in those who are trying to get their cars fixed by these people. I think that they'll definitely get their act together because the dealers are going to start loosing business to outside repair facilities, and that would be bad for business. It's only a matter of time.

Redline CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): GROO-V

Carl

e-mail me at redline_cts_v@yahoo.com and I'll be in touch

James

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

crowan, I work in Bethesda and maybe I'll see you in the road sometime.

I bought mine from Capitol Cadillac in Greenbelt, MD. Not a good idea. I can go into all the details, but it's the same old story that's happened to a lot of people.

The only time I had to take the car to a dealer, was to get the recalls fixed. I didn't want to take it back to Capitol, so I called Jim Coleman.

I spoke to a woman the first time I called (probably the same woman that you talked to), and she told me that she has not heard of any recalls for the vehicle.

I called back an hour later, and this time a different person answered. He looked up my VIN and said both recalls were applicable to my car, but they weren't quite sure how to do them and they might need the car for a few days.

I first asked if I could get the parts and do the recalls myself- in most all situations, I would rather the car not be fixed at all than let a dealer touch it (I used to work at a dealership). But of course, that is not allowed, which makes sense.

When I decided to let them do the recalls, I ended up having to basically write instructions for the techs on how to do the recalls. They were telling me that the recall was for something in the fuel tank; they were just stupid.

But I got the car back, everthing on the car looked normal (my painted washers and nuts, and fuel pipe were not on the car any longer), except for the g-meter pegged at like .92 Someone in the shop had their fun gassing it around a turn.

Harley Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I love the V, but I am learning to hate the dealer / GM support. As I have said in other posts... They don't get it! As I have posted before, my sunroof unit went bad and was replaced. Once the new unit installed they found out that the sunroof unit originally in my 2005 V is not the same as what is currently being installed. The wiring harness for the old unit will not mate up to the new unit. It has been over a month since I have had a working sunroof. They say that GM is working on a fix, but have no idea when it will be available.

Also had them balance the tires to get rid of minor vibration from 75 to 80. The vibration is now stronger and starts at about 65 and last over 80. They also rotated my tires and did not reinitialize the TPS sensors. The rear tires are now reading on the front and the fronts show on the rear. When I told them about this they said that they would try to get it right next time I am in, but since I know they are reading in reverse this is really no big problem.

I would really like to see GM / Cadillac succeed with this and future performance models, but they seem to be their own worst enemy. The guys I work with who own other high line cars are envious of the V's performance, but are constantly laughing and saying "I told you so" about the service.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Not to break the thread, but...

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc
    I'm living down in West Chester, PA and there is a big Cadillac/Saab dealer down here.time. :
    I grew up in Exton and graj-e-ated from Henderson in '71... where in the WC area are you?

Jim

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Guy

Also had them balance the tires to get rid of minor vibration from 75 to 80. The vibration is now stronger and starts at about 65 and last over 80. They also rotated my tires and did not reinitialize the TPS sensors. The rear tires are now reading on the front and the fronts show on the rear. When I told them about this they said that they would try to get it right next time I am in, but since I know they are reading in reverse this is really no big problem.
    there is a DIY procedure on the FAQ to reset your TPMs. Very easy.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I am also unimpressed with Cadillac service. Same thing with tire rotation... no reset of the TPM. Lack of knowledge about the V and it's common issues. And rotten time management when handling routine service (both my V and the wife's Escalade). Only one dealer, but it sounds like there are others.

Strangely, the Dodge dealers did a much better job when I had my Viper GTS.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

danbuc, who is the dealer in "North Jersey" ?
    I got a buck that says it's Brogan in North Brunswick.

I could NEVER get good service on my Caddy (which I still have - a 93 with 9,000 miles on it ~ I tried many dealers, the very best were fair to Okay, the remainder were horrible. I was at Brunner in South Orange (Now out of businesss) Brogan, Crown, & DeMasi. Therefore, I bought a Town Car in 2003, and have excellent service on it.

Harley Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Urbanski,
    I am aware of the procedure and will do the reset my self. What frosts my potatoes is their lack of attention to detail and overall attitude.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Guy
    Urbanski,
    I am aware of the procedure and will do the reset my self. What frosts my potatoes is their lack of attention to detail and overall attitude.
    indeed

have i told you guys the story of Ken Batchelor Cadillac here in San antonio?

I had them replace a tire for a cut in the sidewall, they scratched the rim. Then i noticed they were kind enough to scratch another rim that wasn't even getting worked on.
    Through much yelling I got them to replace all 4 wheels/tires from an unsold V on the lot.

To top that off, when I picked it up Sparky the dipsh!t said "they're all at 30PSI for you sir"
    Guess what, they never reset the TPMs. Only after I realized they never ever heated up or changed from 30 did I realize it. LOL. true morons.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.