Other Rear-End squeaks besides diff??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Other Rear-End squeaks besides diff?? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My 2004 has 68k mi on it and has been perfect. It has the barely noticeable howl at 45mph in ...
    LS6Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Other Rear-End squeaks besides diff??

My 2004 has 68k mi on it and has been perfect. It has the barely noticeable howl at 45mph in high gear from the diff, but nothing abnormal.

This past weekend I did some pretty hard 3rd/4th accelerations with 4 passengers (big guys). From then on, now I hear a new noise. It is after thetransmission since the frequency increases with wheel speed. It sounds more like a wheel bearing squeek (one quick squeek per tire revolution). Comes on when above 40mph and cold, is audible for 5-10min then quiets down significantly but still there. Seems to happen when cold only... if I slow down and get right back up to speed, its not gone but much quieter, but if I slow down and drive around town for a while then jump back on highway it will come back again loud. Normal diff noise is unaffected, so I'm thinking it is not the diff but maybe an axle or wheel. Very intermittent but seems to vary depending on time-in-car (cold vs warmed up). What else can I check or lube?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Other Rear-End squeaks besides diff??

Each axle has inner and outer constant velocity joints that are lubricated. Usually, this lubrication does not require maintenance unless the rubber boots are damaged. The wheel bearings are sealed units which are long-life units but can fail. If there are no visible leaks in the axle joint boots, I would listen to the wheels while the car is on a lift in the area of wheel bearings. The failed wheel bearings that I have encountered did not squeal however, but rather made a variable pitch whirling sound.

carpooler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Re: Other Rear-End squeaks besides diff??

I had a similar problem on my 07. It turned out to be the carrier bearing on the drive shaft

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.