Installed CS trans mount, still issues (some new)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Installed CS trans mount, still issues (some new) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; A few weeks ago I FINALLY installed the CS trans mount that I've had sitting around for a year or ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Installed CS trans mount, still issues (some new)

A few weeks ago I FINALLY installed the CS trans mount that I've had sitting around for a year or so. It would be paired up with the CS MMs which I've had installed for over a year now (most recent version). While I was ecstatic about the perceived improvements at first, the placebo effect has since worn off and I'm left with a couple annoyances. To be clear, I don't think any of these are faults of the mount, I just wonder if I did something wrong during install or if my car has other issues contributing to these issues. The issues are a bit difficult to describe, but I'll try:
    1) the "parade clunk" seems much more pronounced now. (Yes, the CS DS coupler is on my wish-list)
    2) More concerning is the new sound of something hitting something else when I manipulate the shifter. It seems somewhat random, but definitely easier to reproduce when turning somewhat aggressively. Whatever it is doesn't get in the way of me shifting, but it definitely has something to do with the shifter (and maybe exhaust?). I have Brian's (PISNUOFF) modified shifter installed, so maybe this new mount brought the trans up a little too much for clearances for the shifter...?
    3) Contrary to my initial excitedness, vibrations are no better. Whether in gear or out of gear, my 2,000-2,500 RPM vibrations are unfortunately still quite noticeable. I also noticed at a light today that with the clutch pedal depressed (clutch disengaged), I can create some pretty significant vibes at about 1,200 RPM too.

Some things I think I might have done to possibly cause issues:
    A) When I installed the trans mount, I didn't remove the exhaust. Instead I followed the suggestions from a few guys here and left the exhaust in tact. I unhooked it from it's hangars and pried it down enough to slide a deck board between it and the floor pan, which held it out of my way enough. Although I was being as careful as possible I had to pry pretty hard, so hopefully this didn't 'hurt' anything.
    B) I wasn't sure how much I needed to "lift" the transmission with my floor jack in order to give the clearance I needed for the new mount. I was very mindful that I didn't want to put too much pressure on it and possibly crack the case or something, but I also needed to lift it a bit. I would estimate that I lifted it about an inch. With that, the shifter and linkage didn't even cross my mind. I'm paranoid maybe I 'hurt' that somehow.
    C) The driver's side upper attachment bolt was a BITCH to get at. I'm paranoid that I didn't get enough torque on it.
    D) I installed it. Naturally, now I'm paranoid that I did something wrong. LOL

Any suggestions, ideas, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Re: Installed CS trans mount, still issues (some new)

1). Do you have the CS Diff bushing installed? A lot of on and off the gas "clunk" can be attributed to the worn stock bushing. It coupled with the MM's are the best solution to the clunking. The transmission mount not so much.

If you don't have the CS diff bushing installed crawl under the rear of the V and see how much play your diff has when you push up and down on it. It shouldn't move at all when a new bushing is installed. When a worn bushing is installed you can move it up and down with your own strength.

2). Did you put new shifter bushings in when you installed the short shifter?

3). Vibes are hard to say. Could be flywheel, DS out of balance etc. Also to note is that misalignment of the transmission when installing an aftermarket trans mount can cause vibes. I have a CS trans mount installed and it causes no vibes but I did have a UUC that caused horendous vibes. Bottom line is that the UUC was taller than stock and thus caused a slight misalignment that translated to a large amount of vibes. I haven't heard of them with the CS trans mount but perhaps you caused some misalignment by jacking the trans up. You say it wasn't that much but how much force did it require? Shouldn't have been more than could be applied with your arms...(Don't be too paranoid about this but its a thought to consider)

Lastly you refer to vibes that seemed to have been present beforehand. Is that the case? If so I'd say you need to look elsewhere than something with this install. Back to DS, flywheel etc.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    1). Do you have the CS Diff bushing installed?
    No, I don't. Isn't it the DS coupler that's the culprit of the parade clunk? I'm almost sure of it. If that's what you meant, I don't have that either. I want one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Last night I read that installing one of these can make the herky-jerky clutch engagement a lot better too. If that's the case, I might ask for one for Xmas. lol It's once in a blue damn moon that I can 1-2 shift this thing smoothly, no matter how hard I try. LOL
    As for the diff bushing, I don't want louder diff whine, so I'm not really interested in one of those.

1). 2). Did you put new shifter bushings in when you installed the short shifter?
    You bet! It took some dexterity, but I got em in there.

1). 3). Vibes are hard to say. Could be flywheel, DS out of balance etc. Also to note is that misalignment of the transmission when installing an aftermarket trans mount can cause vibes. I have a CS trans mount installed and it causes no vibes but I did have a UUC that caused horendous vibes. Bottom line is that the UUC was taller than stock and thus caused a slight misalignment that translated to a large amount of vibes. I haven't heard of them with the CS trans mount but perhaps you caused some misalignment by jacking the trans up. You say it wasn't that much but how much force did it require? Shouldn't have been more than could be applied with your arms...(Don't be too paranoid about this but its a thought to consider)

Lastly you refer to vibes that seemed to have been present beforehand. Is that the case? If so I'd say you need to look elsewhere than something with this install. Back to DS, flywheel etc.
    I can't describe how much force I used. I lifted it maybe an inch or inch and a half using my floor jack and a 2x4 under the trans.
    I don't think any of the vibes are new, which is why I'm not faulting the new mount. This low rpm one seems new, but I think I'm just noticing it now because I'm looking for things. The only thing that's new since the new mount is whatever's going on with the shifter contacting something and feeling/sounding a bit funny to my hypersensitive self.
    Regarding the vibes, I have to think that the DS is out of consideration since I can reproduce them with the car sitting still and in neutral. I'm thinking this might also rule out the FW and PP too, but that's just a guess.

DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

I installed a CS trans mount back in August and loved how it felt at first (meaning 2-3 days). Then, I took the car on a 3-400 mile trip and by the time I got home, I had a terrible vibration at just off idle. It felt like a thump thump thump, but nothing was hitting anything. I actually thought my exhaust was vibrating. I went back to the stock mount and it went away.

I sent one or two e-mails to CS, but between vacation and a busy fall, I haven't called them.

Edit: I just sent them another e-mail (to Kristie) and will follow up with a phone call next week.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    Thanks for the input!

No, I don't. Isn't it the DS coupler that's the culprit of the parade clunk? I'm almost sure of it. If that's what you meant, I don't have that either. I want one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Last night I read that installing one of these can make the herky-jerky clutch engagement a lot better too. If that's the case, I might ask for one for Xmas. lol It's once in a blue damn moon that I can 1-2 shift this thing smoothly, no matter how hard I try. LOL
    As for the diff bushing, I don't want louder diff whine, so I'm not really interested in one of those.

You bet! It took some dexterity, but I got em in there.

I can't describe how much force I used. I lifted it maybe an inch or inch and a half using my floor jack and a 2x4 under the trans.
    I don't think any of the vibes are new, which is why I'm not faulting the new mount. This low rpm one seems new, but I think I'm just noticing it now because I'm looking for things. The only thing that's new since the new mount is whatever's going on with the shifter contacting something and feeling/sounding a bit funny to my hypersensitive self.
    Regarding the vibes, I have to think that the DS is out of consideration since I can reproduce them with the car sitting still and in neutral. I'm thinking this might also rule out the FW and PP too, but that's just a guess.
    I haven't read enough, nor do I have, a CS driveshaft coupler to know anything about them. I can say though that a failed diff mount will cause significant "clunking". Yeah it might transmit more noise into the cabin but I can't comment on that either as my diff is quiet as a mouse.

DS sure I'd say that isn't your problem then. However the FW and PP are both moving when the engine is running so they certainly could be.

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

I know when I installed my new CS trans mount, I ended up having some vibrations by the diff and near the fuel tanks. Turns out my exhaust was crooked from the time I removed my mufflers and when the trans mount was installed, things stiffened up and that caused the exhaust to vibrate off the frame.

When you stiffen things up in a car, the other areas that have play or aren't lined up right, will respond with feedback. I also have the CS diff bushing and block and while that helps dampen the clunk, it's still there. The next thing up is the CS driveshaft coupler and then finally a new clutch setup so that I can finally get rid of that heavy dual-mass flywheel.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.