Anyone tried Dr. ColorChip?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Anyone tried Dr. ColorChip? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Has anyone tried the Dr. ColorChip custom paint touch-up kit? I keep seeing the ads and checked out the website, ...
    TERP V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 Cadillac CTS-V, '69 Firebird Convertible

Question Anyone tried Dr. ColorChip?

Has anyone tried the Dr. ColorChip custom paint touch-up kit? I keep seeing the ads and checked out the website, which of course has some nice before and after pics.

Just have a handful of chips to fix, they look so bad on a black car. Wasn't sure if I should go with the old GM black touch up paint that's been out there forever ($5-6) or try something like this ($40-50?).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Anyone tried Dr. ColorChip?

The DR colorchip system is pretty much normal touch-up paint, you're getting OEM paint, a clear sealant that acts like a clear coat and good instructions on how you should be using the OEM touch-up paint anyway.
    http://www.clublexus.com/forums/auto...view-pics.html

Worth the $40-50? Maybe.

trhs75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

They sure make it sound special. I keep planning to get some. That "proprietary solution" or whatever they talk about -- does that help blend the surface contour a little better than when I dab on the usual touch-up paint?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by trhs75 View Post
    They sure make it sound special. I keep planning to get some. That "proprietary solution" or whatever they talk about -- does that help blend the surface contour a little better than when I dab on the usual touch-up paint?
    It's not going to fill in the cavities, what you get is the OEM touch up paint and a special kind of clear coat that you can smear on and buff off even.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

yes, I used it on my V and it worked perfectly. Here's an in-depth review that I did, with before and after pictures of my car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...eems-work.html

It's really nothing like standard touchup paint. You don't need to wetsand or apply a clear - you smear it on (literally), wait a few seconds, and then wipe it off with their solution. It doesn't bond to existing clearcoat, but it does do an excellent job of filling in rock chips. It won't work on scratches - tried that.

Scooter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I used it just two weeks ago and it is very good, way better than the OEM stuff. My car is black too and I used it on all the road rash on the front. It is time consuming because you're still painting over every single chip but worth it. I see that some have complained that it doesn't fill smooth out the indentation of the chips and it doesn't, so keep that in mind, but it takes away the white specks. I'll be watching it now to see how long it really lasts.

TERP V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 Cadillac CTS-V, '69 Firebird Convertible

Thanks for the feedback and the link to the earlier review (didnt realize that was there). Sound like it may be worth a shot...

Driftwood420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 V stock, silver on black
    I used it on my f150 after it got beat up during the tornado that hit Atlanta years ago. The truck looked sand blasted down the side frame gravel and sand. It took some time but it ended up much better. In the spring I will be doing the wife's Volvo, no chips in the V yet (crossed fingers).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.