Beater Car / Insurance / Hooyah Navy Day
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Beater Car / Insurance / Hooyah Navy Day in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So now that I'm going the maggie route, I want to pick up a beater for short trips around town ...
    jmpumford is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Maggied CTS-V

Beater Car / Insurance / Hooyah Navy Day

So now that I'm going the maggie route, I want to pick up a beater for short trips around town and what have you. What do you all use? I'm looking for something cheap (between the cost of say coated, catted headers and the maggie. Something small, easy to work on with lots of parts to be had cheaply. I'm leaning towards an early 90s civic, any suggestions?

Also, I'm going to have between 10 and 15k into this car once the maggie goes on, is there any way to buy additional insurance through a separate company? I've spoken to some insurance carriers and I've seen some offer between 1 and 2k additional coverage but that wouldn't even cover the suspension. Any suggestions? I'd hate to have something happen to the V and be out all that when they give me blue book or however they do it.

Lastly, I had an interesting week working with the Navy and thought I would share in case anyone is interested in ships or military things in general. I'm an EOD tech deployed out here in the middle east and a few days ago we were asked to support this carrier coming into port so I went up a few days with my team. I'd never been on a ship and I must say, I was impressed! I guess it's the last of the Nimitz class carriers and this thing is ridiculously huge. It's always interesting to see Navy traditions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: Beater Car / Insurance / Hooyah Navy Day

love the wooden wheel, thanks for the pics.

i use a 2002 WRX wagon as a "practical" car, but they aren't always easy to find cheap and in good shape. i lucked out with mine.

Sullyfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V Platinum

I have an 4 door Nissan Frontier. Always nice to have a pick up around. And still big enough to take the Fam on a ride.

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

A little Bimmer coupe....got her for $700.....does the trick!

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I have a 96 Jeep Cherokee (only 31's) for a winter beater (easier to get baby in and out of with 4 doors) and a '89 YJ with 35's....just for fun lol.

Since you probably don't get much snow in CA, I'd suggest a late 90's early 00's Grand Prix GT with a 3.8L. They are cheap, good mpg, very reliable, and will last forever!

And thanks for protecting our country!!!

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

id go for a mid to late 90's civic. Parts are super cheap and the reliability is there.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I'd second the Cherokee. It will last forever, most replacement parts cost less than $50, and even in stock form it's a formidable off-roader. The bad news is they're getting harder and harder to find and the prices on them seem to be going up as time goes on...

Somewhere back in Baltimore there is a 16 year old enjoying my '99 Cherokee that I sold in perfect running condition with 218K miles.

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

I would assume an agreed value policy would not be that hard to find. We have it with State Farm on our boat but never asked about vehicles. There is always Haggerty and other specialty insurance companies a quick google search will probably turn up oodles of opportunites. Good luck.

AmigoBB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Oh Mods, please don't flag me but this is what I do for a living so I hope you don't consider me a spammer. The additional custom equipment coverage on your car will cap out depending on the insurance carrier you get your quotes from. In my experience most cap around seven or eight grand worth of custom equipment but a few can go as high as the customer desires. I currently have $2000 to cover my exhaust and brakes upgrades and they are charging me $31, but I am young and I live in AZ. A better example, I have a client with a Jeep with $10,000 in rims, tires, roll bars, stereo, and modest performance upgrades, with him they charge him $10 per $1000 in custom equipment. I work in all 50 states so my answers can sort of be counted on, you can PM me if you have any more questions.

jmpumford is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Maggied CTS-V

Thanks for the info, I'll do some more specific research for the second car.

As for the insurance, thanks for the Hagerty suggestion! It seems to be exactly what I was looking for and their premiums aren't bad at all. I had tried googling things like custom car insurance and such but a useful hit never came up.

Faber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None :(

There's several competitors to Hagerty that you might look into - JC Taylor, Grundy, Heacock, Classic Auto, National Corvette Museum Insurance - try searching Collector Car Insurance or other similar terms if you want to find some others. These all specialize in Collector Vehicle insurance in one form or fashion similar to what Hagerty does, however they each have a little different flavor, benefits, and pricing. All offer Agreed Value policies - avoid any carrier offering you a Stated Value, Market Value, or Actual Cash Value policies.

Adam Boca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V

Check us out! We offer what faber was talking about with the Agreed Value Coverage.

www.ncminsurance.com

We are operated by the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.