Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So a week ago out of the blue I found a 2004 cts v with 45k for sale for 20999. ...
  1. #1
    greg12m3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ls6 cts v
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    25

    Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    So a week ago out of the blue I found a 2004 cts v with 45k for sale for 20999. I immediately called one of my car buddies and said hey want to go check out this car, like just look at it? So we went and i fell in love, I loved my z06, it was an amazing car but the cts v just seemed better all around aside from being slower. Without hesitation I offered my 04 z06 with 50k for a straight trade for the cts v. Now after a week and 1500 miles I really love and understand the deal with the cts v, also having in my past an e39 m5 and w210 e55 i had high expectation for it and it definitely hasn't disappointed me yet. with every "new" car I have always had some problems so i just have a few questions which i have somewhat searched for the answer but haven't had any luck.

    1. what are the two rubber bushing like things on the shifter? not on the end of the shifter it self but the two arms that hold it up. There is metal bracket that looks like it goes over them and then bolts into place. I have a bm shifter which was notchy and i took a few things apart to improve it, i did remove these two bushings things and it feels a little bit better but aren't sure if thats for it.

    2. also i have a lot of trouble sometimes getting into first? is there an adjustment pin for the shifter like on the corvette?

    3. how hard is it to do the motor mounts? my car doesn't have headers also. Would you just need to the raise the front with ramps and then raise the motor a bit?

    thats all for now, thanks, here are some pictures below.
    these are from when i bought it, i have untinted the lights, debadged the dealer badge and cts and removed the window vents.



  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    244

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    Check the trans mount if the stock is worn and the tail of the trans is sagging then that may be why its hard to get it into first and to shift in general. The CS (Creative Steel) trans and engine mounts are popular upgrade. When the tail of the trans sags the linkage does as well it seems to make it hard to get leverage and find gears. Also the rest of the drivetrain is sagging putting a weird angle on the donut bushing that is between the driveshaft and diff also causing resistance when shifting. I went with the cs trans mount and will do the motor mounts soon. I know others have just put washers(shims) under the stock trans mount to raise the tail of the trans back up. If you search around can find a picture of the difference in cs and stock mount I took recently.

  4. #3
    lollygagger8's Avatar
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,929

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    1. Get UUC bushings and search for PISINUOFF's shifter. It makes a world of difference.

    2. Bleed the clutch and shifting morale will improve.

    3. MM's aren't hard at all. Check out the DIY section in the performance forum.

    Welcome aboard!!

    Good mf'n choice mf'r!!

  5. #4
    heavymetals's Avatar
    heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,657

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    "The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have both" Heavymetals

  6. #5
    PISNUOFF Guest

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    1. Shifter bushings. Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac to order some UUC polyurethane replacement ones.

    2. Flush the cluthch fluid. This should dramatically help with shifting, especially getting into first and reverse. Some people use the replace the fluid in the reservoir a few times method, but I prefer to actually get under the car and flush the fluid properly. If/when you replace the clutch, install a remote bleeder and this process will only take about 5 minutes total.

    3. That's pretty much the process.

  7. #6
    DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Georgetown KY
    Age
    34
    Posts
    110

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    Quote Originally Posted by greg12m3 View Post
    3. how hard is it to do the motor mounts? my car doesn't have headers also. Would you just need to the raise the front with ramps and then raise the motor a bit?
    CS put a how-to on you tube, just follow that and you'll be golden.

  8. #7
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,304

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    Wait a minute ... wait just a minute! Hold the phone!

    You traded a Z06 for a V?!! Even up?!!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  9. #8
    D.K
    D.K is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    You bought that CTS-V! I was planning on buying either that one or the other '04 on their lot for $17K. They sold both right before I left the house. Luckily I got a chance to pick up another '04 V a few days after.

  10. #9
    cvettr/cts-v's Avatar
    cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO.
    Age
    48
    Posts
    822

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    Congrats and glad you removed those window vents. Never seen them on a V and hope not to again. Oh well personal opinion.

  11. #10
    greg12m3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ls6 cts v
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    25

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    Quote Originally Posted by garrettg View Post
    Check the trans mount if the stock is worn and the tail of the trans is sagging then that may be why its hard to get it into first and to shift in general. The CS (Creative Steel) trans and engine mounts are popular upgrade. When the tail of the trans sags the linkage does as well it seems to make it hard to get leverage and find gears. Also the rest of the drivetrain is sagging putting a weird angle on the donut bushing that is between the driveshaft and diff also causing resistance when shifting. I went with the cs trans mount and will do the motor mounts soon. I know others have just put washers(shims) under the stock trans mount to raise the tail of the trans back up. If you search around can find a picture of the difference in cs and stock mount I took recently.
    thank you, i looked underneath and it appears the tranny is sagging, so trans mount is added to the todo list

    Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    1. Get UUC bushings and search for PISINUOFF's shifter. It makes a world of difference.

    2. Bleed the clutch and shifting morale will improve.

    3. MM's aren't hard at all. Check out the DIY section in the performance forum.

    Welcome aboard!!

    Good mf'n choice mf'r!!
    haha, thanks, for bleeding the clutch, i imagine the prefered method is from the bleeder screw but is the "ranger/turkey baster" method acceptable?

    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    1. Shifter bushings. Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac to order some UUC polyurethane replacement ones.

    2. Flush the cluthch fluid. This should dramatically help with shifting, especially getting into first and reverse. Some people use the replace the fluid in the reservoir a few times method, but I prefer to actually get under the car and flush the fluid properly. If/when you replace the clutch, install a remote bleeder and this process will only take about 5 minutes total.

    3. That's pretty much the process.
    thanks, I'm definitely gonna order the bushings tomorrow, the ones i took out were warped and just beat to crap

    Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
    CS put a how-to on you tube, just follow that and you'll be golden.
    Found it! thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Wait a minute ... wait just a minute! Hold the phone!

    You traded a Z06 for a V?!! Even up?!!
    yeah, my z06 wasn't in perfect condition, a few blemishes on the driver door, gas filler door was broke and the seat bottom was sunk, the people at the dealership were sticklers too but the their car was pretty clean, i think it's the cleanieast car i've owned.

    Quote Originally Posted by D.K View Post
    You bought that CTS-V! I was planning on buying either that one or the other '04 on their lot for $17K. They sold both right before I left the house. Luckily I got a chance to pick up another '04 V a few days after.
    I also was interested in the one they had for 17k but it had sold too before i had gotten there, i'm glad i got there in time for this, i'm awfully pleased with its conditon

    Quote Originally Posted by cvettr/cts-v View Post
    Congrats and glad you removed those window vents. Never seen them on a V and hope not to again. Oh well personal opinion.
    I agree 100%, it was truly disgusting with them on it

  12. #11
    D.K
    D.K is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    Quote Originally Posted by greg12m3 View Post
    I also was interested in the one they had for 17k but it had sold too before i had gotten there, i'm glad i got there in time for this, i'm awfully pleased with its conditon
    Congrats on your purchase! It's definitely a clean car! Let me know how you make out with the motor and trans mounts...I've got to do the same on mine.

  13. #12
    Cobrahunter's Avatar
    Cobrahunter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Black Cts-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    116

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    get that dealer sticker off the back!!

    nice trade!

  14. #13
    mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    Yeah....congrats....and don't waste time....get the V "MURDER'D OUT!"

  15. #14
    Aurora40's Avatar
    Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    730

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Wait a minute ... wait just a minute! Hold the phone!

    You traded a Z06 for a V?!! Even up?!!
    I'm guessing you haven't looked at the C5Z market in a bit? They have really dropped, you can buy nice ones under $20k, and super nice low miles ones for like $22-3k.

  16. #15
    lollygagger8's Avatar
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,929

    Re: Traded my c5 z06 in for an 2004 cts v

    The turkey baster doesn't get 7/8" of the crap that's in the slave or the lines.

    Unfortunately it's time to get on your back and grow a second elbow so you can reach the bleeder screw.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting