in the market for an 04/05 cts-v, read the sticky and possibly concerned with mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, in the market for an 04/05 cts-v, read the sticky and possibly concerned with mileage in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys, glad to have found this forum!! I will be purchasing a cts-v soon, either a 04 or 05. ...
    hatched91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

in the market for an 04/05 cts-v, read the sticky and possibly concerned with mileage

Hey guys, glad to have found this forum!! I will be purchasing a cts-v soon, either a 04 or 05. I have found prices ranging from $13,000 to $18,000; all of which is in my budget. However, I need this car to last around 2 years, after that, i'll be purchasing something brand new. I read the sticky about various things to check for, but what i'm really concerned with is mileage. I have found several around 100k miles, and some around 70k miles. Is it worth spending the extra $4-5k to get 30,000 less miles? i'm concerned with electronics and various sensors shooting craps, not so much cosmetic defects, because those can vary significantly independent of mileage. Also not really concerned with engine/trans, as those are readily available, and somewhat cheap to rebuild considering they are in a lot GM sportscars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Re: in the market for an 04/05 cts-v, read the sticky and possibly concerned with mil

One would have to figure that the 100k cars have probably had parts replaced already. If there is a really a 4-5 k difference, I wouldn't think 30k less miles is worth it.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Re: in the market for an 04/05 cts-v, read the sticky and possibly concerned with mil

I'd have to think a 100k car has at least another 50-75k left in it, which in 2 years would be hard to use up. Electronics seem to be a crap shoot anyway. They can go sort of randomly independent of miles. A friend has an '05 with 15k miles, the headlamp washers hose the car down when he starts it. My '06 had the oil pressure sensor go at < 20k miles. Clutch might be the main thing who's replacement window would pop up. Though a 70k car could need one too, depending on how it was driven.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Yeah, I agree that the electronics at 70k vs 100k are a crap shoot.

If you do opt for the lower mileage car and pay that $4-5k premium, you'll probably get $2-4k back out in two years so it's not like the money is completely wasted.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

awdtalon92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    I got my 2004 with 82k miles for $16500, last month, so your numbers seem about right. Although my mechanic tells me I robbed the seller with my car's condition. I did have to get 2 rear tires the first week I had it, so I guess you can figure that $400 into the cost.

I would say to pay attention to the interior, if you can see it in person. My seats look so new I think he must have driven those 80k miles with plastic covers on.

Good luck on the V!

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I'm jealous. The seats in my '06 look like they've spent 4 years baking in the Texas sun....ah, right...

Thanks for the help guys! Yeah im looking at an 04 black V with 108k on it. It appears to be in great shape, and the price is a got dang steal! It has tan interior which is a downfall, but if im saving $5k, I can live with it for a couple of years. Some guys are selling for as much as $17k with 97k, 98k, even 100k on the clock, so this is a steal. At least this route ill have extra dough to sink into tires, maintenance, etc. which beings me to my next question.... Is there a haynes manual for this car? Or any specific brand which is best? I'm mostly concerned with wiring diagrams.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

The biggest issues with these cars don't seem to be wiring itself, but grounds. There's one behind the PS tail light that I've heard of coming loose and causing all kinds of problems, and one under the hood strut that needs to be improved with some better contact.

The more expensive issues are motor mounts, drivetrain bushings, and clutch/flywheel replacements. The rear-ends are also prone to the infamous wheel hop and tend to blow apart when hopped too hard. The general rule to keep the rear end intact is no clutch dumps or banging 2nd gear shifts at WOT.

i googled it, and $350 for a full drivetrain mount set seems extremely reasonable (previous cars being a subaru STI and a '00 bmw 540i). Also a ls7 clutch kit is around $300, not bad either. GDPossehl, thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to fix those up when I pick up a CTS-V. I sold my car today, so i'm hoping to pick up a V within the next week.

Prentice is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v

I bought my one owner 05 with 8x,xxx miles,she just rolled over 126,000 and still going strong.So far all I have done is oil changes,two sets of tires,front brake shoes and a oil pressure sending unit.My car is still on its original clutch and diff.I would buy another and one of the most fun cars ive ever owned.Good luck.

found one today locally, and I told the guy i'd give him a deposit to hold it until next week, but he refused...can't say I blame him. It has 28k mi, and it has the diff "clunk", other than that meets all criteron. Let's hope I can grab it up!!

okay, i ended up picking up that car, i am now a cts-v owner! We put it up on the lift, installed a !cags, and then had a good looksie. The motor mounts are about shot, and the original owner had installed a diff bracket support (yay!). So some poly drivetrain mounts are in my near future, and then it's time to have some fun!

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Be sure to get the poly rear diff bushing AND the block from creative steel. I didn't get the block because I didn't know about it and I still have a bit of clunk.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.