my TPMS acts up a lot
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, my TPMS acts up a lot in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The system acts up frequently, possibly in different ways. I have learned that 99% of the time it is a ...
    bjv
    bjv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

my TPMS acts up a lot

The system acts up frequently, possibly in different ways. I have learned that 99% of the time it is a false indication.

1. Sometimes the dash indicator will start flashing, and after a minute or so the 4-wheel display will come on an done of the pressures will indicate over 50. About a minute later it will stop flashing and go back to normal display of pressures. This little tantrum is usually only a couple of minutes long and may happen once or twice a week.

2. On some more rare occasions the dash indicator will start flashing and stay that way for 10 minutes or more, and never indicate any pressures so you don't really know why it is flashing. You may have to wait until you get in the car the next day to see what the pressures are. Yesterday leaving my office it started doing this. The tires looked fine when I got in the car and I know that it lies a lot so I kept driving. When I got home I checked each tire with the "knock knock" test and they all checked fine. When I got in the car this morning the indicator resumed flashing but after about a minute it stopped and indicated pressures, all 4 in the proper range.

3. On at least one occasion the indicator has started flashing and one of the pressure indicators instead of giving a number just gives dashes. After about 20 minutes of flashing it goes back to indicating proper pressures.

My guess is that one of the sensors is bad and throws out bad radio signals. Sometimes the indicator doesn't tell you which tire it thinks is off so I have no way of knowing if it is consistently the same sensor or if several of them have intermittent problems.

Once about a year ago we were headed out of town for a trip and the indicator started flashing. I knew that the thing liked to lie so I watched it. When it didn't go out after a couple of minutes I looked for a place to get off the freeway and sure enough one of the front tires had failed and had no pressure. I put my spare on and went on with my trip. (Shortly after I bought the car used I decided I didn't like the concept of relying on run-flat tires so I bought a used wheel and tire and put it in the car as a spare.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Re: my TPMS acts up a lot

What year is it? Are the sensors still original? If so, their batteries may be failing. Is it one specific tire that stops reading or all of them?

bjv

Quote Originally Posted by GDPossehl View Post
    What year is it? Are the sensors still original? If so, their batteries may be failing. Is it one specific tire that stops reading or all of them?
    It's a 2007 and most likely the sensors are all original. I thought I read that the batteries are supposed to last 10 years.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

My research of the TPMS indicates that there only two components involved - the set of tire sensors; and the instrument cluster panel.

There are however, four grounds involved: G104; G200; G201; and G142. The locations of these are shown in the attachments. If refreshing the grounds (making them shiny with a file or metal brush and/or adding star washers) does not fix it, and the sensors are all good - the problem may be the instrument cluster panel.

bjv

I gather from the lack of responses that this isn't a common issue with TPMS systems, thus it would follow that one of my sensors and/or its battery, is a little flaky.

DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I get errors all of the time and just ignore it until it goes away. Sometimes it tells me it's too high, sometimes too low, sometimes just dashes. Most of the time it fixes itself or a restart of the car fixes it. I do not have runflats.......or a spare (I did buy a spare wheel though).

bjv

Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
    I do not have runflats.......or a spare (I did buy a spare wheel though).
    I won't go without a spare. My luck is such that I would have flats immediately.

When I got my car and did a little study I determined that I wanted a spare even though I was currently on runflats. I did plan to use conventional tires when tire change time came. I found a tire/wheel on this forum and bought it. Our little tiny secretary sure looked funny rolling my spare down the hallway wrapped in its brown paper for shipping.

A stock V wheel and tire will fit in the spare tire well if you take all the other stuff out. Well it will almost fit, in my case it sticks up about 3/4" too high. I put the cover on it and it works fine, but there is a slight offset around the perimeter of the cover. You can even buy a kit with plastic tub/wrench/jack that will fit within the wheel.

DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Really, I need that kit! Do you know the part number and/or where to buy?

bjv

Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
    Really, I need that kit! Do you know the part number and/or where to buy?
    Look at post #17 in this thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...aler-vs-2.html

I bought a jack and wrench on ebay for cheap. It works fine with the car but the jack is about 1" too long to fit within the wheel. I keep my jumper cables, tire pump, and spare rags in the wheel. I would like to have a round toolbox that would fit in there.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by bjv View Post
    I gather from the lack of responses that this isn't a common issue with TPMS systems, thus it would follow that one of my sensors and/or its battery, is a little flaky.
    The reason I didn't see this thread is I was all gah-gah about the Dream Cruise thread.

I've just started getting warnings about low air pressure in both rears. Coincidentally, I just had two 275s put on them just before they started acting up. Since I don't want to have the tires unmounted just for the TPSs, I'm just ignoring the warnings.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.