Cadillac Owners Forum banner

defective horn?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DDS rollin a CTS 
#1 ·
So one of the horns on my car stopped working after I accidentally hit the panic button on my key fob. Took the horns out, cleaned the connections, tried them individually from a separate power source and they worked. Dealer wants $90.00 for a complete new bracket and horns as that is how they come. I am thinking that I will just buy a horn somewhere else and put it in. Only thing is if its not a defective horn and a bad connections somewhere then its just a waste of time. Anyone else had this problem?

#2 ·
I have the same issue, mine just don't work anymore. they would usually stop working after washing the car for a few days. Now they just don't work at all.
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the connections as they don't look like they can withstand to much harsh weather conditions.
Hopefully ill have time within the next week to take a look, using my exhaust as a horn is getting annoying..
From the sounds of it though, you have a connection problem as it starts to work after cleaning, try using some di-electric grease on the connections to make them more weather resistant.

#4 ·
I bought new horns from rockauto and it fixed mine. (Never had from purchase).

#6 ·
I had issues once with the horn on my 03 CTS a couple of years ago. The tech said carwashes with "underbody sprayers" would spray water directly into the horns and over time this would cause them to fail. I just had to replace them that one time and they worked fine after that as long as I owned the car. If you decide to replace it yourself, try something like this:

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=nathan-airchime-k3-540-train-horn-kit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.