NEW 05 V owner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, NEW 05 V owner in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi guys... Getting my new Used V and just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on what should ...
    Newvee2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

NEW 05 V owner

Hi guys... Getting my new Used V and just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on what should be my first SMART things I should get done.. Wether its a tune up or something like that.. You never know what the previouse owners really did and how they took care of the car.. I just want to start off right...Thanks in advance for any suggestions...I think a tune up would be first... What's my best and cheapest way ? ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: NEW 05 V owner

Are there any maintenance records at all? How many miles? Yr? Mods?

Regardless, start with all the fluids paying close attention to the clutch. After you've taken care of all the basics, then we can talk about a shifter, CAGS eliminator, bushings, and so on.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

First of all, welcome to the forum!!!

Next comes the muffler delete. Get that caddy sounding like the muscle car it is!

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

Put shifter high on the list if not already done. Post pics, Congrats.

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

As always with the shifter....CAGS elim....and then whistle tips.....

WOW.. Feelin the love... Thanks to all the responses.. Well, how do I get maintenence records ? 80, 000 miles and no mods... So ,I'll replace all the fluids, oil, power steering, transmission, coolant.. The Clutch !! What, the clutch has fluid, what do I pay attention to with the clutch ? Oh, bye the way.. I only had one manual lesson.. My friend said I did pretty good, no grinding and only stalled once in a half hour... LOL.... What about a tune up ? Can I do that myself ? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter ?

The clutch is operated hydraulically and has an hydraulic reservoir under the hood. I'd have someone do that for you, and make sure they bleed it thoroughly. Maybe do the power steering, brakes, coolant, but definitely the oil if there's any question at all. You could also do the differential and the trans if you want ... I would.

Oh, yeah, the filters. There's the engine air filter of course and a fuel filter, and there's a cabin filter. Not sure about the fuel filter, but do the other two.

CAGS eliminator is next. Costs ~$20 or less and allows you to shift from 1st to 2nd without being forced into 4th gear ... SO-O annoying.

Assuming your motor mounts are okay and bushings are okay, too, I'd really look into a shifter. PISNUOFF is the most cost-effective route to take, though he may be backed up ... well, not him personally, but he may have a backlog of shifters he's doing right now.

After that, guys here and I could list a buh-zillion things for you to do. It just takes money.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Just drive, man...

Thanks Rand..I will take care of your suggestions... I just want to make sure I fix the previouse owners mistakes if any.. I guess I'm better safe than sorry kind of guy...Sounds like after that stuff, shifter needs to go.. LOL Thanks again....keep you posted....

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Just drive, man...
    Concur....the diff will blow before your fluids go.....

So, what should I do to the differential ?

Quote Originally Posted by Newvee2011 View Post
    So, what should I do to the differential ?
    If it's not whining, forget it. If it's whining, then ... well, join the crowd.

j/k If your diff isn't whining, then I'd get some axles to keep it from getting there. If it is whining, then you may have to get a replacement ... then get axles.

If it's not whining ,why do I have to get axles ? How much are axles ? Splain Lucy !!!!

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

I owned a V1 for 4 years and never had a problem with the differential whining. Sure some people just get unlucky, but just remember to 'go easy' on the diff in 1st gear in particular, meaning don't try to do a burn-out, you'll end up jarring your teeth out with the wheelhop instead - and hurt the diff.

Hm-m ... okay, here goes.

Spirited launching causes the rear suspension in Gen I Vs to wheelhop which puts severe stress on the differential. The diff starts to develop a whine, especially noteworthy at about 45-50 MPH under very slight acceleration. The diff may eventually fail. Though that's rare, it does occur from time to time. For years and years, there was no true cure for WH, though we were all on the lookout for one. A brace called the KARS 3 was developed with modest success but actually amplified any existing whining. Steel diffs were fabricated but were too expensive for many of us. Some guys went to straight axles. Some of us talked about making big beefy axles, but no one took on the effort. Then, sort of serendipitously, someone posted up a youtube vid of a V doing burnouts at the dragstrip with no observable WH. The Driveshaft Shop (DSS) had produced a set of axles that seemed to eliminate WH, at least in dry conditions which is where most of us wanted to find a fix anyway. Hendrix Engineering started selling them, and now others are available as well. The point is, they reduce or come close to eliminating WH which is thought to be the cause of diff whine/failure.

There you go, Ricky.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.