BOSE noise comp mic
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, BOSE noise comp mic in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've seen this little bugger in the wiring schematics listed in the FAQ. here I wonder if this has anything ...
    GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

BOSE noise comp mic

I've seen this little bugger in the wiring schematics listed in the FAQ. here

I wonder if this has anything to do with the bass reduction at higher volume levels. I'd like to play around with it to see if there's any difference with it or without it. When the car is off and there is no ambient noise the stereo sounds great. With the engine running it goes to crap.

Has anyone done this or tried it? And where is it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Re: BOSE noise comp mic

As far as I know, that mic only adjusts audio gain, not EQ (loudness curve). What you are hearing is the monstrous noise floor of our cars when driving down the road. The stock sub just doesn't have enough power to manage it.

I've got an aftermarket sub, but it's pretty inconsistent with bass. Maybe partly because it's IB.

It's the loudness curve. As you crank up the gain to compensate for road noise, the loudness curve compensates less and less, which gives the impression of decreasing bass as you turn the volume up. Set the volume at an appropriate level with the car off. Note the bass and overall sound. Now, without changing the volume (or the source if you have control over it), start the car and go drive around. It will sound like there is less bass, and in fact the overall sound level will need to be increased, which puts you at a different point at the loudness curve, further contributing to the impression of decreasing bass response.

I'm not sure how this is generally handled by OEM audio solutions, but in our case, I think the stock sub actually limits what the gain is to the sub channel. I have also noticed that the bass which goes to the interior speakers (I assume there is some kind of high pass filter), increases a lot more linearly with the volume, whereas the sub seems to level off (possibly as a protection). That gain is mapped to the loudness curve, so even if you beef up that whole system, if you are using the stock sub channel output, you'll still be stuck with the relative gain of the sub channel vs the rest of it. The amp itself may also do some limiting, to avoid clipping. In that case, replacing the sub AND amp would eliminate any self-limiting imposed by the sub-amp itself, but it would not help any limiting pertaining to the loudness curve used by the head unit.

Ok, so I have the sub amped also. This loudness curve I'm not quite grasping. Is it part of the system that's programmed in or is it a term you're using to refer to volume?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness

Generally, loudness is used particularly in car audio so that at low system volumes, you still perceive a fairly flat response from lows to highs. This helps compensate, particularly, for road noise. As you turn up the volume, the effects of loudness (from your psycho-acoustic perception) are less necessary. In layman's terms, it means there is less bass boost as you turn the volume up, because at high sound pressure levels, your brain/ears essentially "hear" bass better.

Loudness has been the bain of all those who have tied aftermarket systems to stock head units, often requiring remote gain controls at the driver's fingertips, or, devices that attempt to compensate for loudness. If I can find one, I'll link it.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess it leads back to the JL cleansweep being the best alternative.

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Great explanation!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.