New bushings installed review.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New bushings installed review. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So the V had a clunk which had gotten much worse while I was deployed. The car is my wife's ...
    jbaldez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

New bushings installed review.

So the V had a clunk which had gotten much worse while I was deployed. The car is my wife's DD and she was really having to baby the car on acceleration because if the huge clunk under anything but light acceleration . Did some research on the symptoms and discovered the the the engine mount was bad. Decided to go with Creative Steel after reviewing some customer
    feedback on their product and Customer Service.

Ordered and just installed the following from Creative Steel

1. Engine mounts
    2. Rear Diff Bushing (Also rented their tool to pull the old bushing and pressin the new one with out removing the rear diff).
    3. Poly Bushing Diff Block
    4. Trans Mount

I went to a local performance shop to see how much it would cost to have these parts installed. They quoted $600. Well that was enough motivation for me to try myself and I am glad I
    did. Creative Steel's web site has a video posted for the engine mounts and the rear diff tool came with laminated instructions with BIG clear pictures. This is something the average joe
    should be able to do. I am not a pro wrench turner by any stretch but was able to complete everything in two weekends. A person with a higher aptitude should be much quicker. I recommend you get some extensions, wobble drive, and some Star 3/8 drive sockets. I also had to get a Reverse Torques 10M drive. When I did the rear diff I also unhooked all the rear
    exhaust shackles for the extra clearance and it was much less frustrating. Everything was done on ramps and jack stands in the drive way.

Drivers side engine mount was completely broke, Trans mount was still good but very inadequate compares to the CS one. Same for the rear diff mount. Finished the install this morning and went for the "test drive". Car drives better than new. The trans mount really cleaned up the shifter and now it is easy to find 5th, 6th, and reverse. Shifting had a much more positive feel. WOT acceleration there is ZERO clunk, thump, or any other strange driveline noises. The drive train felt tight and efficient. I could definitely tell the power was getting to the rear wheels instead of transferring in to driveline slop. For the stress test I tired a Clutch dump (4K RPM) start from a dead stop. The the car did have the some wheel hop but it was MUCH less that before, even when the car was new. I
    forgot how fun this car was to drive! The improvement driving was well worth the money spent for the parts. Took the wife for a drive and she was really surprised at the difference, and she usually says she can't tell a difference. She used to like to take her car the the track before to (1/4 mile) but stopped because the clunk was so bad but is now ready to go back. If you are tired of sloppy drive line annoyances and are on fence about this mod or the product from Creative Steel trust me it is time to pull the trigger, and Creative Steel's customer service is definitely top notch. Just my experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

Re: New bushings installed review.

i gotta do motor mounts, diff bushing, and cradle mounts. I've had the diff bushing since I bought my car 2 years ago.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

I wish I'd have known about the diff block when I installed my diff bushing. I still have a little bit of clunk under hard acceleration, but it's been much reduced.

jbaldez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

You should be able to do the block relatively easy. Three long bolts drop the rear diff onto the exhaust, put the block in (i used a floor jack to push the diff back up to fully seat the bushing block) and bolt it back up. Taking the exhaust off the rear shackles will make it much easier.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Yeah, I did the bushing install myself. I'm just not looking forward to doing it again. The front bolt was a real PITA the get back in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.