Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Of the 2004-2007's, which would you choose?

3K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  50 4Ever 
#1 ·
Hey gang! Hoping to buy a V some time in the near future and am wondering if any of these particular years offer more than the other years. When I bought my Mustang I just went to the dealer, saw it and bought it. If I would have taken a little time to research I would have made a different decision.

The only two things that I have found reading through the FAQ and forum that lean me toward an '06 or '07 is the diff and the LS2. But if I can get an '05 for $16k and an '06 for $23k, is the $7k worth it?

Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to learning and enjoying as much of the V as I can!

#2 ·
I don't think we can really help you with this. You pointed out the two biggest differences.

The common answer seems to be that individual condition of the car you are looking at greatly out weighs the benefits of any specific year. What I mean is that I would pay more for a low mileage, one owner '04 than I would for a high mileage '07.

Good luck.

#4 ·
2007 ftw.

#7 ·
the one i have...:D

:horse:

#9 ·
2007.... 100k powertrain warranty included. LS2 FTW! Either that or find a CPO car.

#13 ·
Yes, 2007 started the 100k powertrain warranties. Go with an 06-07... the 'torque motor'. :p

#14 ·
I personally would go with an 04' blown V, oh wait.

By the way the 06-07's have steering wheel radio controls as well whereas I don't.

#15 ·
All these suggestions are just going to be personal preference and opinion man, in the end you're obviously going to have to weigh the benefits/drawbacks and make your own decision. Personally, unlike many, I don't think mileage is a true indicator of the vehicle's worth. It unfortunately become a standard with used cars though. I almost feel like the number of owners is more important, as more owners = a higher possibility of abusive driving or issues that result in owners not wanting to deal with the car anymore and just passing the buck.
The one thing that would be one of the best indicators of the vehicle's value is how it was maintained and how it was generally driven. I would have zero qualms with buying a car for top dollar with high mileage if I was confident that it was treated well through all those miles. Unfortunately, this is easily lied about and tough for the seller to prove to you. Thus, mileage becomes the next best thing 'cause it's easily proven and tough to circumvent.

In any event, go with the best value for your buck. Many of the 04/05's may have updated differentials, and who knows if the owner is even aware of that fact or aware of the value that it holds in terms of resale. Definitely get the maintenance/accident records (carfax, etc) to see for yourself if the car's been a 'problem car' and see what work/updates have been performed. If the car has had axle seals replaced a few times or more and yet you don't see a differential replacement or repair, I'd stay away. I'm sure the other guys will chime in about some more red flags in terms of warranty work and carfax reports. That report should really help you make your decision though. Buy a handful of em and once your down to having to decide between the final few cars, run em all.

That's just my .02

#16 ·
LS6 v LS2 wasn't a concern to me. I went with an '05 only because it was the one with a CPO warranty and it only had 24k miles. I've had the upgrade diff installed under warranty because it was whining...honestly, not a lot...but the dealer did it anyway. New diff is definitely quiet. I've had a lot of the common issues dealt with under CPO. That's the only way I'd pay $23k over high teens.

It's getting harder and harder to find these cars with a warranty AND low miles, so good luck! I just got lucky with timing, I guess.

Also, I wouldn't spend the extra money on an '06 over an '05, maybe for an '07 for the drivetrain 100k warranty (not bumper to bumper!)...especially if Thunder grey...since that extra $5-7k could be spent on immediate maintenance, mods, and pocket some $ for future repairs...all while having a lower car payment.

#18 ·
Go for the GMPP warranty car. I bought a GM mule 5.5 years ago and the warranty is out in a couple months or 1400 miles. GM lost money on this car. Secondly, I would go for the one owner car with an audit trail on the service history. Dont let high miles scare you. I would prefer a high milage car with the problems worked out vs a garage queen that is not driven regularly. Give me a torque happy LS2 any day over the gotta drive it like you hate it LS6.

#19 ·
About the biggest differences beside those you mentioned (OP) is color selection [like thunder gray was only 2007] and I believe the 06-07 has different steering wheel controls. I have an '07 thunder gray and love the color, but I so happened across it, but glad I did. I liked the silver color too on the older models (forgot the name, not the stealth gray one that looks sort of bluish)...

The only real way to tell an 06-07 from the outside is the black wheel hub covers (vs. silver for 04-05) and that silly GM chiclet badge on the lower part of the front fender. Otherwise, they look almost all the same, as far as years' differences go.

These things didn't have many options beyond paint color (the special colors were ~$1k) and dealer installed shocks (FGC2's was it? forgot the RPO) and some accessories (like wheels, brakes and CF engine cover stuff)...They are like the GTO's in that respect where they mostly all came with all the stuff and difference being engine, although 05 GTO improved on the 04's in many ways, compared to the CTS-V's. The LS6 and LS2 on paper are both same hp/torque, but the larger engine (LS2) has not only more CI, but better cam as far as torque in most all the rpms...Will you notice it, probably not, but they are different engines with slightly different characteristics.

#20 ·
Steath Grey looks blueish. The old silver is nothing but silver. As far as telling a difference between the LS2 and LS6, I have drove more than a few of each. my uncle sold caddy for 30 plus years. A couple buddies have LS6s, I can definitely feel a difference. One has great bottom end and the other has great top end. LS 2 makes has a fatter TQ curve, but gets flat on the top end. Drive both and see which one appeals to you. Cant go wrong with either.

#24 ·
Get the warranty service history. Any Cadillac dealer can pull it for you. This will tell you which diff you're getting, whether the typical things have been dealt with, and whether there are any scary reoccurring issues like electrical gremlins. Mine showed a nice newest version diff with under 20K miles and nothing else that was serious so I jumped on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.