Of the 2004-2007's, which would you choose? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Of the 2004-2007's, which would you choose? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; LS6 v LS2 wasn't a concern to me. I went with an '05 only because it was the one with ...
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Re: Of the 2004-2007's, which would you choose?

LS6 v LS2 wasn't a concern to me. I went with an '05 only because it was the one with a CPO warranty and it only had 24k miles. I've had the upgrade diff installed under warranty because it was whining...honestly, not a lot...but the dealer did it anyway. New diff is definitely quiet. I've had a lot of the common issues dealt with under CPO. That's the only way I'd pay $23k over high teens.

It's getting harder and harder to find these cars with a warranty AND low miles, so good luck! I just got lucky with timing, I guess.

Also, I wouldn't spend the extra money on an '06 over an '05, maybe for an '07 for the drivetrain 100k warranty (not bumper to bumper!)...especially if Thunder grey...since that extra $5-7k could be spent on immediate maintenance, mods, and pocket some $ for future repairs...all while having a lower car payment.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

'05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Chubbilicious420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Go for the GMPP warranty car. I bought a GM mule 5.5 years ago and the warranty is out in a couple months or 1400 miles. GM lost money on this car. Secondly, I would go for the one owner car with an audit trail on the service history. Dont let high miles scare you. I would prefer a high milage car with the problems worked out vs a garage queen that is not driven regularly. Give me a torque happy LS2 any day over the gotta drive it like you hate it LS6.

JNR
    JNR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

About the biggest differences beside those you mentioned (OP) is color selection [like thunder gray was only 2007] and I believe the 06-07 has different steering wheel controls. I have an '07 thunder gray and love the color, but I so happened across it, but glad I did. I liked the silver color too on the older models (forgot the name, not the stealth gray one that looks sort of bluish)...

The only real way to tell an 06-07 from the outside is the black wheel hub covers (vs. silver for 04-05) and that silly GM chiclet badge on the lower part of the front fender. Otherwise, they look almost all the same, as far as years' differences go.

These things didn't have many options beyond paint color (the special colors were ~$1k) and dealer installed shocks (FGC2's was it? forgot the RPO) and some accessories (like wheels, brakes and CF engine cover stuff)...They are like the GTO's in that respect where they mostly all came with all the stuff and difference being engine, although 05 GTO improved on the 04's in many ways, compared to the CTS-V's. The LS6 and LS2 on paper are both same hp/torque, but the larger engine (LS2) has not only more CI, but better cam as far as torque in most all the rpms...Will you notice it, probably not, but they are different engines with slightly different characteristics.

Chubbilicious420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JNR View Post
    About the biggest differences beside those you mentioned (OP) is color selection [like thunder gray was only 2007] and I believe the 06-07 has different steering wheel controls. I have an '07 thunder gray and love the color, but I so happened across it, but glad I did. I liked the silver color too on the older models (forgot the name, not the stealth gray one that looks sort of bluish)...

The only real way to tell an 06-07 from the outside is the black wheel hub covers (vs. silver for 04-05) and that silly GM chiclet badge on the lower part of the front fender. Otherwise, they look almost all the same, as far as years' differences go.

These things didn't have many options beyond paint color (the special colors were ~$1k) and dealer installed shocks (FGC2's was it? forgot the RPO) and some accessories (like wheels, brakes and CF engine cover stuff)...They are like the GTO's in that respect where they mostly all came with all the stuff and difference being engine, although 05 GTO improved on the 04's in many ways, compared to the CTS-V's. The LS6 and LS2 on paper are both same hp/torque, but the larger engine (LS2) has not only more CI, but better cam as far as torque in most all the rpms...Will you notice it, probably not, but they are different engines with slightly different characteristics.
    Steath Grey looks blueish. The old silver is nothing but silver. As far as telling a difference between the LS2 and LS6, I have drove more than a few of each. my uncle sold caddy for 30 plus years. A couple buddies have LS6s, I can definitely feel a difference. One has great bottom end and the other has great top end. LS 2 makes has a fatter TQ curve, but gets flat on the top end. Drive both and see which one appeals to you. Cant go wrong with either.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbilicious420 View Post
    Steath Grey looks blueish. ...

... Cant go wrong with either.
    In the sun, mine does look more bluish. On a cloudy day, it definitely looks more gray. Favorite is still Thunder Gray.

Your last comment re LS6 vs LS2 is spot on.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Get one with a LS2 so you can pull boats. Maybe they'll throw in a hitch too!

Seriously though:

If you get an older V, you can always get a newer diff, or it may have already been updated. Check the service records.

Silver FTW
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    In the sun, mine does look more bluish. On a cloudy day, it definitely looks more gray. Favorite is still Thunder Gray.

Your last comment re LS6 vs LS2 is spot on.
    I think Stealth Gray is better. Anyone whoever saw my V always exclaimed what an amazing color it was. There is a guy at work who is still pissed at me for not selling him my V just for the color.

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Get the warranty service history. Any Cadillac dealer can pull it for you. This will tell you which diff you're getting, whether the typical things have been dealt with, and whether there are any scary reoccurring issues like electrical gremlins. Mine showed a nice newest version diff with under 20K miles and nothing else that was serious so I jumped on it.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Get one with a LS2 so you can pull boats. Maybe they'll throw in a hitch too!

Seriously though:

If you get an older V, you can always get a newer diff, or it may have already been updated. Check the service records.

Silver FTW
    My '04 has had everything updated. And it's an '04. A true collectible...
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

Your's has custom fender work as well.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Guardrail mod

he was close, but no urbanski

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

ewe bastids.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.