Is my gear whine normal?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Is my gear whine normal? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I know the whine is common, but is mine louder than it should be? Car has 23000 on it, and ...
    Dusten is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Is my gear whine normal?

I know the whine is common, but is mine louder than it should be? Car has 23000 on it, and as we speak im waiting on the service history from the dealer I bought it from. Can is a 2005.

the video is 35-45mph in 5th gear
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVr5pq2_lYY

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Is my gear whine normal?

Couldn't tell from the vid, but were you accelerating slightly during the vid? If you don't accel slightly (it can't be too hard, either) or if you decel, you won't hear it.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

It goes away with accel and decal. I was more concerned with the volume

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

Mine has a somewhat noticeable whine in 5th gear too... 66500 miles I believe on the original diff... I say let it go until it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Dusten View Post
    It goes away with accel and decal. ...
    Though it was tough to hear properly, to me it sounded like a hum that I have, too, and it's not like diff whine. Kinda thought it was the new 275 GSD3s I just put on the back since it's proportional to vehicle speed and independent of gear,clutch in/out, etc, but I'm not certain of it being tires. Bought some lithium grease spray for the driveshaft bearing thinking that might help, but haven't put it on yet. Too blasted hot out. Very noticeable today to the point where I thought my wife was going to comment on it, but no ... thank goodness.

Going away with application of throttle or letting up on the throttle would seem indicate that whatever's making the noise gets thrust to one side and doesn't then have an audible component.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Didn't sound that loud to me...maybe it's the video?

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I didn't hear anything

I'm with them...replace the fluid and forget about it until she goes, unless you are under warranty and pester the hell out of the dealership until they replace.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I would change the fluid as already suggested, but would also take a close look at the old fluid. If the old fluid is visibly full of metal that is clue. While I generally agree with the "drive it until it breaks" approach, there is some risk. Specifically, if this is an original 2005 differential it may "break" by grenading, which is common to the first generation units. If it grenades at the wrong time, such as during a high-speed pass in the rain, the result could be worse than just a broken part.

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Maybe it's the poor audio but that doesn't sound bad at all. Do you have any poly bushings?

Did you guys think it sounded like the diff? I wasn't so sure, but it was not at all clear from the vid.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Did you guys think it sounded like the diff? I wasn't so sure, but it was not at all clear from the vid.
    I could not tell.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    I thought maybe tires, it was awfully low pitch to be the diff, but still possible depending on recording device.

He didn't give a great description of when he hears it in relation to on/off throttle, thats the key..

Cupped tires can fool you with minor changes in speed, especially low speeds.. but even then, due to the drivetrain slack, you can usually trigger/release diff whine and the pitch while maintaining a constant speed.

The best test imo is 4th gear, decel with foot off throttle from 50 to 45. Or, 50-60 accelerating...

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sounds like my rear diff, but man your interior is quiet.
    I have studio monitors hooked up to my desktop, and I think I could hear it as a diff whine.

I wouldn't get hopes up of a fluid change getting rid of it. My diff whines in 4/5 with very slight throttle input or cruising, but it hasn't gotten too much worse in the two years I had my V. Today I swapped my diff fluid w/ Royal purple, some 140wt, some 90wt, and it seems about the same. I had a slight coating of metal sludge on the plug. It didn't seem to be an unusual amount.

Add a catback or full exhaust and you won't care about the diff sound any more.

I'd complain and see what the dealer will do? Worth a shot, at least. Wouldn't be surprised if the new one whined, too, but at least it would be the newest generation so more durable.

-PJ

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

If it goes away on acceleration and deceleration, and also happens at the same rpm's in any gear, I'd say it's highly likely to be your differential and it's not likely something you've gotta worry about. Just keep an ear out for it getting louder. To be sure it's the diff, drive around with your rear seats folded down. If it's louder with the seats down, then it's definitely coming from the diff.

I know its the diff, as I know what gear whine is. I had a bad set up on an 89 mustang that whined. I was more concerned with whether it was to loud. It whines at the same rpm in each gear it whines and I can control the pitch with throttle, to include maknig it stop completely. I'll change the fluid and let it ride. I dont drive the car hard, thats what my lightning is for.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.