I had to replace my battery today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I had to replace my battery today in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; After some research I discovered that our batteries are pretty unique (IOW rare), but a group 78 was recommended. First ...
    bjv
    bjv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

I had to replace my battery today

After some research I discovered that our batteries are pretty unique (IOW rare), but a group 78 was recommended.

First my car is a 2007 and I thought it did very well for the stock battery to last this long in our hot weather. My experience over the past 40 years is that batteries in our hot climate usually only last about 36 months. My theory is that the insulating blanket that comes around the battery really helps it.

I called my local big Interstate Battery dealer, which is actually a local Firestone store. The salesperson knew what I was doing when I asked if they had a group 101 battery in stock, but they don't stock it and he doesn't know why. When I asked about the group 78 he told me it might not fit under the cowl, but he said "it's your car so you can do what you want". I bought the battery, about $130 for their best battery out the door, and put it in. It went right into place and fit under the cowl without forcing it. I connected it then looked around for potential problems. The hood hinge lowers right over the top of the battery and actually appears to touch the battery when the hood is completely closed. It doesn't touch when you set the hood down and the safety latch catches, but that last inch to close the hood puts the hinge in contact. I don't think this will be a problem but I will check it after a couple of days to see if there is obvious sign of wear. The hood hinge could be modified pretty easily and I might do that. OTOH modifying the battery tray looked like it would be really difficult. If the edge of the tray closest to the fender would drop down 1/4" that's all that it would need. If I had more time and patience I could probably make that happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: I had to replace my battery today

Well unless your battery is the reverse of mine the post closest to that hinge is the postive terminal. The risk is not just wear on the terminal - the risk is a giant short/fire/circuit damage when the terminal grounds against the hinge. You need to fix it now, unless I am missing something.

bjv
    bjv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

I will check but I'm pretty sure there is a good amount of gap between the top of the cable connection and the top of the battery, and the hinge tapers a bit as it goes out to the end. I think there is plenty of clearance to the terminal itself. I'm more worried about wear or cracking of the battery case. If it survives today and tomorrow I will look at it closer Saturday and reduce a little on the hinge if needed. I've heard of plenty of people using the group 78 battery, or at least the one that WalMart sells. I don't know how close the dimensions are for one manufacturer's group 78 vs. another manufacturer's group 78, but I needed a battery this morning and Interstate was really the only option open to me at the time.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by bjv View Post
    I will check but I'm pretty sure there is a good amount of gap between the top of the cable connection and the top of the battery, and the hinge tapers a bit as it goes out to the end. I think there is plenty of clearance to the terminal itself. I'm more worried about wear or cracking of the battery case. If it survives today and tomorrow I will look at it closer Saturday and reduce a little on the hinge if needed. I've heard of plenty of people using the group 78 battery, or at least the one that WalMart sells. I don't know how close the dimensions are for one manufacturer's group 78 vs. another manufacturer's group 78, but I needed a battery this morning and Interstate was really the only option open to me at the time.
    Okay, I read your post to mean that the terminal was close to the hood - we had some folks run into that problem a long time ago while experimenting with different alternatives to our stock battery.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

Damage to the battery case is no bueno... hope it works out for you and the hinge doesn't cause problems...

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I too had to replace my battery. I changed it a year ago with a group 78 from auto zone. The first two years its a free replacement so no out of pocket expense for me. I had no problem with how it fit. If you like i can take a picture of how it looks in the car.

bcarv87 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05` maggied V

My Optima that I purchased a year ago died on me this week. Now I get "Service Stability Control", Service Vehicle Soon" messages on the DIC. Also my traction control is always off now and does not seem to do anything when I press the button.

Did you guys get the same thing? Never had these issues before the battery dying.

I'm also getting "Battery Not Charging" issue also but I think this is a separate issue and found the thread on this issue.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

its the battery. Mine did that on the first one when it went out.

I already replaced the battery and am getting these messages after I replaced it with the new one.

JNR
    JNR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Funny, my battery died today and had to replace it.

I ended up going with a Group 78 from Napa (700 CCA) and was going to get one from Sears (diehard) but it was about $20 more.

Note the 78 is a little taller (~1/2"), but does fit nicely and uses the oem mounting and side terminals. I did not try to re-use my battery cover, but imagine it would still work, just be a little short on the bottom. Mine has that pull handle still on the (new) battery so that's why I didn't try to put the cover. I may cut off the pull handle though, as that may hit the hood and eventually rub paint.

Any issues after you put the new battery back in?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

This is good info.

Still got the OEM battery in mine after 6-1/2 years. Started right up in late March after four months sitting in garage, no tender.

I think I'm on borrowed time.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Igot82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I replaced my battery yesterday with the group 78 from O'Reillys. I prefer the fitment of the Group 101, but the 78 is a stronger battery, has a better warranty, less expensive, and Made in the USA. As far as I could tell, all the group 101 batteries I could find were Chinese made. This includes the AC Delco that I pulled out.

Jake

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by bcarv87 View Post
    I already replaced the battery and am getting these messages after I replaced it with the new one.
    Check the voltage, your alternator is probably dying.

Quote Originally Posted by KaMaSuTrA View Post
    Check the voltage, your alternator is probably dying.
    Yeah I noticed that the voltage goes down while sitting but when driving/hitting the throttle the voltage goes back up. Is that an indication of the alternator dying? I know people had problems with the message "battery not charging" issue and that had nothing to do with the alternator.

Its not a daily driver and I have been busy working on my jetski lol. So I have'nt been messing with the car much but I want to get it fixed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.