time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; can someone let me know where is the best place to buy wires for the V, it is lightly moded. ...
  1. #1
    your maker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    windsor ont, canada
    Posts
    402

    time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    can someone let me know where is the best place to buy wires for the V, it is lightly moded. should i go with stock wires?

    i do have NGK plugs ready to go in.

    also brake pads which ones and where from?

    last thing is the rear diff oil. looks like everyone is using just mobli1

    thanks guys

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    msd wires, Hawk HP+ front, Hawk HPS rear

  4. #3
    kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    I keep seeing this. I've seen it on other forums, as well. Why do people run staggered pad installations? You WILL change the brake bias from stock, to something not stock, across the entire temperature spectrum. Do you really want to assume that you've changed it for the better?

  5. #4
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    I keep seeing this. I've seen it on other forums, as well. Why do people run staggered pad installations? You WILL change the brake bias from stock, to something not stock, across the entire temperature spectrum. Do you really want to assume that you've changed it for the better?

    I am doomed to having a staggered pad installation because I could not get a set of Hawk HP+ rear pads to stop squealing on my two-piece rear rotors. And I am not talking about a light squeal just before coming to a stop, I am talking about 100+ decibel squeal as soon as I got on the brakes (unless I hammered them.) I bedded them, chamfered them, and padded the back of them - nothing even got the squeal to lessen. On the other hand, my front HP+ pads, also on two-piece rotors, are absolutely silent.

    So I am running HP+ up front and the Brembos on the rear. I understand the theoretical problem that could cause, but I really do not notice any issue other than it won't stop quite as quick. And even that may be psychological.

  6. #5
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    Quote Originally Posted by your maker View Post
    can someone let me know where is the best place to buy wires for the V, it is lightly moded. should i go with stock wires?

    i do have NGK plugs ready to go in.

    also brake pads which ones and where from?

    last thing is the rear diff oil. looks like everyone is using just mobli1

    thanks guys
    Stock wires and stock brake pads are not bad choices. Luke at Lindsay gives us a discount. On the differential fluid, I still use the GM stuff because I have an inventory, but I think Amsoil Severe Gear is the best alternative. I buy my Amsoil products through C66 Racing - a long time supporter of this forum.

  7. #6
    kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    I would recommend stock wires, stock plugs (I see you already bought) and stock pads. I know we get frustrated with some of the stock driveline stuff, but that doesn't mean every piece of OE gear on these cars is bad. In fact, the stock wires, plugs and pads are all very good.

    By the way, HP+ and stock are MUCH closer than HPS and HP+.

  8. #7
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,268

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    ... On the differential fluid, I still use the GM stuff because I have an inventory, but I think Amsoil Severe Gear is the best alternative. I buy my Amsoil products through C66 Racing - a long time supporter of this forum.
    ^^^ Yeah that.

    Dom, you are taking August 19th off and taking the tunnel, aren't you?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  9. #8
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    By the way, HP+ and stock are MUCH closer than HPS and HP+.
    I agree.

  10. #9
    repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    I keep seeing this. I've seen it on other forums, as well. Why do people run staggered pad installations? You WILL change the brake bias from stock, to something not stock, across the entire temperature spectrum. Do you really want to assume that you've changed it for the better?
    all of my cars run staggered pads, even my track car.

  11. #10
    kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    Why? The reason I keep hearing is because "the front does more of the braking" so you put a more aggressive pad up front. This sounds logical, until you realize that this has been engineered into the braking system by the OEM. So unless you shifted your brake bias to the front, I don't understand the purpose. Unless it's one of those track "common sense" things that no one questions, because everything works out ok so why argue? I'm not good at the "not argue" part if there isn't a sound engineering explanation. You are of course free to do anything you want on your car, but I am of course free to question it when it's recommended publicly. And it's nothing personal. More of a pet peeve.

    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml
    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml

    I WILL concede that if you are running track tires, you will need less rear bias under heavy braking. In that case, running a notch less aggressive rear pad makes sense to attempt to maintain the stock bias. On the other hand, stock bias tends to be forward-biased. So maybe you DON'T want to maintain the stock bias (by switching to a less aggressive rear pad). In other words, you might have a better optimized system to run the same F and R pads, which was kind of my entire point.

  12. #11
    JD03Cobra's Avatar
    JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I am doomed to having a staggered pad installation because I could not get a set of Hawk HP+ rear pads to stop squealing on my two-piece rear rotors. And I am not talking about a light squeal just before coming to a stop, I am talking about 100+ decibel squeal as soon as I got on the brakes (unless I hammered them.) I bedded them, chamfered them, and padded the back of them - nothing even got the squeal to lessen. On the other hand, my front HP+ pads, also on two-piece rotors, are absolutely silent.
    I had the exact same problem...maybe not quite as loud. Finally stopped after 10k miles of wear.

  13. #12
    repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    Why? The reason I keep hearing is because "the front does more of the braking" so you put a more aggressive pad up front. This sounds logical, until you realize that this has been engineered into the braking system by the OEM. So unless you shifted your brake bias to the front, I don't understand the purpose. Unless it's one of those track "common sense" things that no one questions, because everything works out ok so why argue? I'm not good at the "not argue" part if there isn't a sound engineering explanation. You are of course free to do anything you want on your car, but I am of course free to question it when it's recommended publicly. And it's nothing personal. More of a pet peeve.

    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml
    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml

    I WILL concede that if you are running track tires, you will need less rear bias under heavy braking. In that case, running a notch less aggressive rear pad makes sense to attempt to maintain the stock bias. On the other hand, stock bias tends to be forward-biased. So maybe you DON'T want to maintain the stock bias (by switching to a less aggressive rear pad). In other words, you might have a better optimized system to run the same F and R pads, which was kind of my entire point.
    it's been engineered to a point, but there's no denying that front pads get eaten up a lot faster than rear pads, even in daily driving. if you pull pads from the front of even a light car like my miata after a day at the track and compare the fronts to the rears, even with more aggressive fronts the wear is substantially more. it's simple physics: weight transfer under braking puts more mass on the front of the car. if front brakes weren't more important, then why are front rotors always so much bigger than rear rotors? why can you still get cars with front discs and rear drums, but never cars with four-wheel drums? it's because the front brakes have to work harder to stop the car than the rear brakes.

    i think the error in your assumption might be that the OEM system is the best possible brake design, when its actually based on a complex interaction between cost, parts availability and restrictions inherent in the overall vehicle design.

  14. #13
    kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    The rear brakes on our cars are actually 0.4 inches larger in diameter. They are more narrow, have smaller calipers, and have a larger inner swept area radius, though.

    I think the best way to do it would be to measure the actual rotor temp after a few laps and choose your pads based on that. But you'd STILL also want to make sure bias is correct. Going with the same F and R setup, plus stickier track tires, will create a little more rear bias than factory at high temps, which is usually the correct direction.

  15. #14
    repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    on my track car I actually backed off the bite on the rear brakes, and run less aggressive pads, too.

    one thing to remember about brake pads - installing a more aggressive compound on the front, which does up to 75 percent of the braking on your car, is more about dealing with heat than it is increasing stopping power on a track. "Better" brake pads are often much better at resisting fade, and it's far more important for front brake pads to be fade-resistant than rear pads, as they encounter higher temps.

  16. #15
    kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: time to do some maintenance i have a week off of work!

    It would be interesting to see brake temps. The rear has no cooling ducts.

    All I was saying is that stock bias tends to be a little forward of ideal. So if you end up transferring more weight to the front under heavy braking, than stock (because of track tires), then, yes, you need less brake force at the rear to match the decreased traction of that axle. But since stock is front biased (according to Stoptech, in general, not because I know for sure that our cars are, though it's very likely), you may want to maintain the rear brake force, not reduce it.

    But actually, this is really more about running HP+ in the front and HPS in the back. From what I've read, the HPS is inferior when cold AND when hot (easier on rotors and doesn't dust, or squeak so that's the trade-off), so you'd logically shift way too much brake force to the front axle. Electronic brake force distribution may handle some of this under heavy ABS, but it's always better for the system to be pretty close hydraulically. And that could end up overheating the HPS pads. Running all track pads, but subtly mixing up heat/friction characteristics is not really the same as HP+ and HPS. So I didn't mean to give that impression.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting