Transmission temperatures? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Transmission temperatures? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Was this the oem gauge? If so, good to know it goes higher than 199 F...I was on a long ...
    JNR
    JNR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: Transmission temperatures?

Was this the oem gauge?

If so, good to know it goes higher than 199 F...I was on a long drive up north and it was like ~97 F the whole way and the temp stayed at 199 F the entire way (only doing 75-80 though) and thought maybe it didn't read higher, lol, as that was weird. Otherwise, it stays pretty cool most of the time, relatively speaking, according to the gauge.

However, if I were concerned, I wouldn't rely on the oem gauge...over 200 F does sound sort of high though, but not sure in a damaging way, just wouldn't be comfortable with it...don't these use ATF for lubrication? Autos can and do run hotter (esp with high stall), so wouldn't worry about the fluid breaking down and since they're manuals, doubt it's anything to be too worried about.

Be curious what the diff temp runs, anybody know?

JNR
    JNR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

As for the part of the exhaust bringing the temps up, hmm, not too sure about that...I mean, exhaust runs hotter than the transmission, but there is also some air gap between it and would think sufficient airflow enough so the residual heat wouldn't make the trans any hotter than it already is from operation. That is, unless it's touching or something, but even then...the body is aluminum and dissipates heats pretty well (not as good as copper or silver, etc. of course) esp with the airflow...

See if you can run another temp gauge (quality mechanical) to double-check to at least rule out the oem being off.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Well it could be radiation heat, which you can't blow away. In other words, infrared heats up the aluminum case, which transfers it handily to the fluid.

VfastCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I watch my trans temps very closely because of the autocrossing I do in very hot weather. Normal highway driving in hot weather I see high 190's. I've seen 255 momentarily after a 3rd autocross run on a 95 degree day. Leave the engine idling and it gradually comes down. I once did a school where I did a bunch of back to back runs and got an overheat warning for a second. Not sure what temp causes that. I think I saw 265F on the readout but it may have spiked higher. I've been told that the old rule of thumb was that over 250F and your oil is breaking down.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.