Another broken rear window regulator... tips on replacing?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another broken rear window regulator... tips on replacing? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm guessing this will be a more common issue as our cars age. My passenger rear window regulator pulley broke. ...
    PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Another broken rear window regulator... tips on replacing?

I'm guessing this will be a more common issue as our cars age. My passenger rear window regulator pulley broke. The pulleys are plastic and as they age will tend to become more and more brittle until: snap.

I have the door apart, fished out the broken pieces of the top plastic pulley, zip tied the window up for now, and ordered a new regulator off of ebay.

Does anyone have a write up of the regulator swap? It appears that it will be a pain in the #@s because of its location in the door. Anyone who has done this have any tips?

I didn't see any writeups with a glance in the vfaq so I thought I'd post it up.

I thought I was done with GM plastic parts with my '96 Impala SS window sliders (plastic and broke) and seat sliders (plastic and broke) but I guess cheap is cheap and GM is GM.

-------------------------------------------

I have some extra dynomat I will add to the outer door skin, especially around the door handle to make it sound a bit nicer, but anything else to do while in there? Speakers would be great but I haven't decided which direction I'm going on speaker replacement so I'll probably just button everything back up for now without changes.

Thanks for any tips on the regulator,
    PJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Another broken rear window regulator... tips on replacing?

See attached.

That's it! Thanks. I must be a bad searcher.

So it is just a pain in the #@s, but at least now I should get the window seated correctly in the holder.

Thanks again,
    PJ

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

They are really easy to change. I have had to replace both of mine.

LAYGO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V - '96 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by PJGross View Post
    I thought I was done with GM plastic parts with my '96 Impala SS window sliders (plastic and broke) and seat sliders (plastic and broke) but I guess cheap is cheap and GM is GM.
    LOL, yea, my back windows in my Impala are droopy too. I even got the roller ones, not the sliders, but my mechanic thought they were wrong & ordered some from GM without telling me. He fixed the front, but not the back.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Yup, replaced the sliders with rollers on my Caprice, a few times. Left rear window is frozen and has been for years...I really hope I don't have window issues in the V. I'm at 106k and no problems yet.

Thanks Darkman for the drawing. Fixed this today.

Wow, it was like hitting the "easy" button. Shocking. My wife was even impressed.

I took off everything on the outside of the watershield, removed the watershield. Five bolts out, two loosened, and out it came.
    Swapped the motor to the new one and replaced after putting sheets of constrained layer damper (dynomat like) everywhere, including around the door handle, on some of the inner door support, etc. Now I want the other side to break because the the door sounds more like a BMW now.

When the cable came off, it got into the shaft seal of the motor and tore it up. I put some grease in there and put the seal back in as best I could.

My new regulator has plastic pulleys again, but hopefully it will last several years.

Had time to do an oil change, clean the K&N and MAF, AND a rear diff fluid change, too. Should be good to go for a while, now.

-PJ

kjr6306 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Maggied.

Dont worry, you other one will go soon. Just did the right side at the beginning of summer and the left one just broke tonight on my drive home.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Geez. How much are these regulators? You guys are making me paranoid. 106k on my 05 and they are original...

MRSP is $356. Before this thread I did not even know whether the rear windows rolled down.

I bought the Chinese regulators minus motor for 35 shipped off ebay and they have been flawless. Not a single issue. Cheapest I could find a salvaged regulator for was over $100 but included motor. They would not separate.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    I bought the Chinese regulators minus motor for 35 shipped off ebay and they have been flawless. Not a single issue. Cheapest I could find a salvaged regulator for was over $100 but included motor. They would not separate.
    So, is everyone just breaking regulators and not motors? If yes, what part of the regulator breaks - can it be beefed up?

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Go to know this is an issue. My driver's rear window howls when it's used. I imagine my motor is going.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    So, is everyone just breaking regulators and not motors? If yes, what part of the regulator breaks - can it be beefed up?
    The plastic pulleys just get brittle and break. I dont think there is any way to beaf them up.

^^^Yep. I just threw out the broken pulley, but still have the regulator. I could take a pic of the bottom pulley, its the same as the top. Each regulator has 3 plastic pulleys, 1 top, 1 bottom, and a multigrooved drive pulley in the middle. The top and bottom pulleys are what break causing the cable to tangle everywhere.

I had read that at least one person received a regulator with metal pulleys when they ordered. I have no idea what brand it was or how much. I just ordered mine as cheap as possible on ebay.

It really is an easy swap so when the new or old one breaks, it isn't a big deal to swap. A motor swap wouldn't be bad, either. It is attached to the regulator and comes out as one unit.

-PJ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.