Another broken rear window regulator... tips on replacing? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another broken rear window regulator... tips on replacing? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Rock Auto sells two replacements (excluding the AC Delco which includes the motor). One is a Dorman for just under ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Another broken rear window regulator... tips on replacing?

Rock Auto sells two replacements (excluding the AC Delco which includes the motor). One is a Dorman for just under $60 and the other is Cardone for roughly $130. The Cardone claims to be improved with less brittle "gears."

awdtalon92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    This is the first thing I had to do to my V. The right rear regulator broke the first day I got it a month ago. Sounded nasty with the wire getting crunched up in tere. Turned out to be a VERY easy job. Don't get the OEM, the Dorman replacement is fine, and you should be able to find it for ~$50 online. Try Amazon.com

The whole thing took me about 2 hours. 1 to take it out, order the part, and 1 to put it back in. Mind you, I had never been in a V prior to doing the work. The FAQ has great instructions on removing the door panels. Once it is all out, just jam a block of wood to hold up the glass, two bolts holding the regulator to the glass, and 5 bolts holding the regulator and 3 bolts attaching the motor. An Allen key works fine for removing the 3 torx bolts.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the job went. Also, this being my first American car, surprised at how differently the Japanese put things together.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

So my pass side rear window decided to fall open Saturday. It only goes down about 4-5" and can be pushed up. I head the motor working, but it doesn't move. Does this sound like a broken regulator?

I don't want to order the part before I know I need it, but I don't want to not need it when I open it up. Conundrum.

It sounds like a regulator to me. For what it is worth, my local auto parts store (OReilly's) sells these albeit for a little more than online. The convenience of being able to return it locally if not needed might be worth the added cost.

awdtalon92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Do yourself a favor and pull open the door. Will only take 15 minutes, it's not hard at all.

Irs13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just had my passenger side read window break last night. Is the attachment still available?

See attached.

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Look at that, an old thread of mine! What you will find is a garbled mess of wire b/c one of the pulleys on the old reguator likely broke and the non-tensioned wire just goes wherever. It doesn't matter if the regulator works or not, there is no fixing it. Once one of the plastic pulleys fails, that wire is a mess. I should have taken pictures but Darkman's files show it pretty well.

It really wasn't that hard of a job. Just make sure to plug in all the pigtails afterwords. Don't ask how I know that.

-PJ

67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey Darkman, could you re attach the PDF for the rear window regulator replacement info? I am about to replace my Right Rear. rolled up the window and heard all kind of shattering pully noises coming out. and no window moving.
    got the new one today.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Ummm....where's your writeup with pics, PJ??
    rand49er and NCOGNITO like this.

67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member

never mind, I figured it out. took me 1 hour to do.

you have to remove the plastic lock knob at the top, then pop out the plastic oval cover behind the door grab and remove 2 screws. then remove the bezel behind the door latch handle. you can youtube this.
    then pop the door panel off working your way around starting at the bottom.

then you have to remove the door electrical socket plate, (4 nuts) then unclip the door control module and let hang. then peel back the plastic and use a razor blade to cut the gooo stuff as you peel back the plastic. it keeps it from being stringy and you can just re stick it back later.

the door glass is held in by two bolts, just loosen them, and use some SCOTCH tape on the outside of the glass to hold it in the all the way up position, it actually holds it self up with just the window seals, but the tape keeps it up for sure.

unhook motor wire, then remove the old regular by removing 5 bolts.
    transfer motor to new regulator.
    pre loosen the new regular to door glass clamp bolts (2)
    install new regulator and leave all bolts loose until you get all 5 back in (pretty easy) then go ahead and tighten them.
    then remove the tape from window glass, and slide the glass down into the new regulator clamps, check the rubber to make sure its touching the glass and not metal.
    then use driver door to roll the window back up. then tighten the new regulator to glass clamp bolts.

put door back together.

hope this helps someone.

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Ummm....where's your writeup with pics, PJ??
    dang, called out on a 2 yr old thread! Whatever I do now I take pics, just in case.
    Randy wants pics of an on-car Maggie rear belt install..... I have pics, but not of that belt going on, not on my car anyway.
    I'm pulling the Maggie tonight and guess what, yep, taking pics even though nobody cares.... but someone will always ask, "where are the pics" so I gotta burn some memory on the cam.

Wow, called out on a 2 yr old thread..... ouch.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by PJGross View Post
    dang, called out on a 2 yr old thread! Whatever I do now I take pics, just in case.
    Randy wants pics of an on-car Maggie rear belt install..... I have pics, but not of that belt going on, not on my car anyway.
    I'm pulling the Maggie tonight and guess what, yep, taking pics even though nobody cares.... but someone will always ask, "where are the pics" so I gotta burn some memory on the cam.

Wow, called out on a 2 yr old thread..... ouch.
    I've upped my request. I wanna youtube vid.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.