I think my car hates me, lug nut and MM problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I think my car hates me, lug nut and MM problems in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Went to put in my new CS mounts this morning, first thing I went to remove the driver side wheel/tire...put ...
    AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Angry I think my car hates me, lug nut and MM problems

Went to put in my new CS mounts this morning, first thing I went to remove the driver side wheel/tire...put the key in my wheel lock and it shattered when I went to back it off with my impact

I've hit it with a chisel and the remaining chunks have come off...but the bottom part of the lock remains on the stud. I'm weighing options to get it loose with out damaging the wheel...I've already marred it up a little. Any ideas?

Issue #2, got the passenger side mount in fine...easy install. Went to do the driver side and rounded off this bolt on the block bracket...I can't believe how tight it was, hit it with penetrating oil too. Any ideas best way to get it off? As of right now I'm going to try to hammer a 14mm socket on it...but that seems risky.

Not a fun day

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: I think my car hates me, lug nut and MM problems

I don't know what to do with problem #1, but I do think I may do away with my wheel locks and get regular lugs instead.

On problem #2 the conditon of the hex doesn't look all that bad. I would be tempted to go get one of those trick sockets. There is more than one kind but they are designed to work on rounded nuts.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3665_200413665

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Were you using a six point socket?

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

As for #1...McGard wheel locks (with the pattern on the face) are pretty crummy and I've heard of more than a few breaking in the way you described. Also, I would *never* use an impact gun on a wheel lock, they're just not tough enough for the force of the gun. I have a full set of 24 Gorilla locks which I'm pretty happy with, and I remove/install all of them by hand with a breaker bar and torque wrench.
    Dan_Gurney and Dan_Gurney like this.

I did find a possible remedy for problem No.#1 on another unrelated forum. You get a 12pt socket that is slightly larger than the lug nut lock, but tight as it goes on. You then hammer the socket onto the lock and remove with a breaker bar. In this case, you obviously have less than a full circle of metal for the socket to grab, but it might work. I think the trick will be to hammer the socket on as slowly and to keep it more or less "straight."

Additionally, if you have a good relationship with a car dealership, you could check with them - I bet they have to remove locks with some frequency when customers lose the keys.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

CTSV_Rob is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

#1 just happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I haven't pulled it yet. With mine the whole top of the lock popped off. I have never used an impact wrench on mine and I always use a torque wrench when installing them. I want to put a set of locks on but I will look into the Gorilla locks.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I did find a possible remedy for problem No.#1 on another unrelated forum. You get a 12pt socket that is slightly larger than the lug nut lock, but tight as it goes on. You then hammer the socket onto the lock and remove with a breaker bar. In this case, you obviously have less than a full circle of metal for the socket to grab, but it might work. I think the trick will be to hammer the socket on as slowly and to keep it more or less "straight."
    I have heard this works but I would recommend a hardened Socket, not just a standard socket as it could crack as you try to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_Rob View Post
    I have heard this works but I would recommend a hardened Socket, not just a standard socket as it could crack as you try to install it.
    Do you mean an impact grade socket? Standard sockets are hardened(heat treated) unless you are buying tools at the "Dollar Store."

Alright

Had a few beers, spent some time with the GF and attacked it again yesterday.

Ended up drilling out the old stud and it finally popped off...since the wheel was out of the way I was able to get to the MM bracket bolt at a better angle and it popped loose (wahoo!) Took the wheel bearing assembly out and popped in a new stud...good as new!

New MMs are in and I was able to save the wheel with minimal boogeredupness...I think I'm going to make it my spare since one I have now has a new rim.

I saw that tool at Northern too...they don't make it to fit 15MM.

Ordering a new set of lugs and the neato new set of Gorilla locks from Amazon today!

So yeah...lesson learned on impacting off the locks.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

The set I have on my V is P/N 71634N. Gorilla will also sell you a key that has the correct size drive for the spare tire wrench...not sure if you're carrying a spare or not. I think the extra key was about $10.

I just ordered a new set of Gorilla lug nuts and locks...got the ones that have the spinning sleeves on them.

These guys http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-61641/ along with a normal set of nuts...M12x1.50 of course, just grabbed that link.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

I'm to blame for this misery and suffering. It's all my fault. I feel terrible. Goodbye cruel world...

OK, I feel better now....how ya like the mounts?
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

I freakin love them! LS7 clutch is going in this weekend...so things will get even better, putting in the tranny mount then as well.

One of my mounts was destroyed...it bled all over me when I pulled it out, I was amazed how much my motor was moving around all this time!

Great product Max!

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

I noticed my mounts (in a box still) aren't perfectly cylindrical. As such, as there a preferred orientation for installation?

Seems mine tapered slightly...if yours are perfectly cylindrical I would orientate the CS labels facing up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.