Screw in my tire gripe,stupidity and DIY issues...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Screw in my tire gripe,stupidity and DIY issues... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well, V has about 2k miles and a co-worker pointed out that I had a screw in a rear tire ...
    DanP is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Screw in my tire gripe,stupidity and DIY issues...

Well, V has about 2k miles and a co-worker pointed out that I had a screw in a rear tire last week - wonder how long it has been there. About 1" from the outer edge, so a questionable patch.

Figuring run-flats are good for 50 miles, which is 2.5 round trips to work, figure I'll get around to it sometime within the week. There is a Goodyear dealer within walking distance from work, so what is the worst that could happen?

So after 2.5 trips I give up and drive the car to the Goodyear place. Explain the situation to the nice caring shop guy, who follows me and looks at the tire, then ponders if the screw really perforated since the PSI is still at about 27.

Proceeds to poke at the screw, then goes back to the shop to get a bigger thing to poke at the screw with (and a soaped swab). Announces that, by gosh, look at all the air coming out now, see it DID perforate!

And still bent over the tire looks at me and says "but you know we can't help you here because our machine doesn't take your rims". You need to find another place.

???? WTF is wrong with these folks?

Anyway, it is a cool feeling to have a car with run flats, so decide to go home and use my truck instead, will drop off the tire off somewhere over the weekend.

I knew I had no spare, but no jack or lug wrench? That's been normal with my other no-spare vehicles.

So I jack the car and start removing the nuts... jaw drops as the nuts appear to have 5lbs or less of torque, until I notice that hey are caps! Sheesh, had me going there!

Could not find a reassuring place for a jack-stand though, left one somewhere just off center just in case but no apparent friendly place for one in the rear axle area. Any suggestions? I probably won't get the tire back for another day or two.

Oh well, sorry for the rambling post, no real point other than a) Surprise at the Goodyear guy, b) Surprise at the cosmetic caps and c) Surprise at no visible place for a stand. <g>

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Re: Screw in my tire gripe,stupidity and DIY issues...

Welcome to the forum!

The fix patch (or new tire) is free.

Take your warrantee book with you, the tires are covered for road hazards.

DanP is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just a quick update - decided that letting my wife take the wheel to a (another) goodyear dealer to get it patched and balanced for $40 was still better than me taking off work to deal with it...

When I unloaded the wheel off her trunk a balancing weight fell off. Then I find that the tire had been inflated at 42psi cold.

I'm sure this is just a bad streak, there cannot be that many incompetent people working on our cars out there... can it? <g>

JKG
    JKG is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I find that all tire guys inflate tires to high pressure like that - they say it is supposed to make the ride better. When I picked up my new V, the tire pressure alarms were all going off because the tires were overinflated. And when the wheel weights must be stuck to the inside of the rim (instead of clipped on like on most wheels), they tend to fall off easily. I am thrilled my factory weights have stayed on this long. On my other car, the stick on weights tend to last no more than 1 year ...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.