Rear Camber/Alignment questions (lowered, plus sized wheels & tires)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear Camber/Alignment questions (lowered, plus sized wheels & tires) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey folks. I've recently lowered my V with H&R springs and also put some new wheels and tires on 'er. ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Rear Camber/Alignment questions (lowered, plus sized wheels & tires)

Hey folks. I've recently lowered my V with H&R springs and also put some new wheels and tires on 'er. Wheel & tire specs are 19x8.5 with 245/40's front and 19x10 with 275/35's rear. Now I had a few hiccups with stuffing these wheels in the back, so I should make mention that I wound up replacing the rear H&R's with cut OEM springs in order to gain a little height back in the rear, so the tires wouldn't get chewed up by the fender lip.

Anyway, I'll be installing my MAP trailing arms tomorrow (hopefully) and then getting an alignment done shortly there after. My concern with an alignment is that I'd like some of the negative camber removed from the rear (it looks pretty severe right now) but I'm afraid that by doing that, the top of the wheel/tire will get pushed "outwards" towards the fender lip. Is this the case, or is there another way to adjust for camber that wont cause this? Or am I stuck with what I've got?

Those of you with a similar setup; do you have any other suggestions or comments regarding aligning this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Rear Camber/Alignment questions (lowered, plus sized wheels & tires)

I run the same size tires on the same size wheels. I think my rear sits 1.25-1.5" lower than stock. My alignment is set to -2 to -2.2deg camber all around and I have no rubbing issues anywhere. Of course, my rear springs are stiffer than stock springs or cut stock springs.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I run the same size tires on the same size wheels. I think my rear sits 1.25-1.5" lower than stock. My alignment is set to -2 to -2.2deg camber all around and I have no rubbing issues anywhere. Of course, my rear springs are stiffer than stock springs or cut stock springs.
    Thanks for the info. How's your tire wear with those numbers?

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

You said you have 19 inch wheels. Did you mean 18"? If you are in fact running 19" wheels then maybe you may have an issue lowered with 275/35/19 since this is a tire at least as tall as the stock 245/45/18s but with 1" more tread width. I've got away with 275/35/18s in the rear on a lowered set up because the tire is a bit shorter than stock and allows for some more clearance. That combined with a stiffer spring, rolled fender lips and negative camber over 2.3 has provided good results.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    Thanks for the info. How's your tire wear with those numbers?
    Tire wear has been fine. I'm not sure exactly what mileage I've got on this set of tires, but I haven't seen any signs of unusual wear (and I've had the tires off the car a few times for track days, so if there was an issue, I would've seen it by now.)

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    You said you have 19 inch wheels. Did you mean 18"? If you are in fact running 19" wheels then maybe you may have an issue lowered with 275/35/19 since this is a tire at least as tall as the stock 245/45/18s but with 1" more tread width. I've got away with 275/35/18s in the rear on a lowered set up because the tire is a bit shorter than stock and allows for some more clearance.
    I'm running 275/35-19s, and I imagine that's what most (if not all) of the guys who bought the Linea Corse Venetos are running on the 19x10" rears.

I agree that up front the shorter diameter of the 275/35-18s helps, but that's a whole nuther story.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

I'm running 275/35-19s, and I imagine that's what most (if not all) of the guys who bought the Linea Corse Venetos are running on the 19x10" rears.

I agree that up front the shorter diameter of the 275/35-18s helps, but that's a whole nuther story.
    Wow. That's surprising. With our KWV3s and a lowered stance my 245/45/18s for sure don't have clearance for another 1+" of section width. I would have bet that would never clear. Obviously it's the offset change with the Venetos

Tire wear has been fine. I'm not sure exactly what mileage I've got on this set of tires, but I haven't seen any signs of unusual wear (and I've had the tires off the car a few times for track days, so if there was an issue, I would've seen it by now.)
    Good to know. I've come across a lot of other threads around here (and ls1tech) where guys are saying that the negative camber is tearing the inside of their tires apart in like 10k or less ... which was what had me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Wow. That's surprising. With our KWV3s and a lowered stance my 245/45/18s for sure don't have clearance for another 1+" of section width. I would have bet that would never clear. Obviously it's the offset change with the Venetos
    Yes, the offset/backspacing is what makes the difference. The rear 10" wide rims have an offset of +47, so the extra rim/tire width goes towards the inside. So that keeps you from the fenders (usually), but does cause issues with rubbing on trailing arms.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.