clutch and rpm issues!! please help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, clutch and rpm issues!! please help in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; hi i have an 06 V with 67k on the odometer, i noticed that if i press the clutch to ...
    06BlackV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cts-V

clutch and rpm issues!! please help

hi i have an 06 V with 67k on the odometer, i noticed that if i press the clutch to change gears , my RPMS are taking too long to come back down therefore causing a slight jerk when i put in gear , im thinking its because the rpms are too high , also when im at speeds in excess of 35mph and i want to downshift , it wont go into a lower gear untill im under 35 mph , sometimes i can downshift into third at higher speeds but if i press the clutch to come out of third , its very hard to do so now keep in mind that i have no problems upshifting besides the rpm issue , i hope someone can tell me something , thanks ...nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

Re: clutch and rpm issues!! please help

that's strange... maybe your clutch needs bled?

is it possible for a slave cylinder to stick halfway because of air in the lines?

i dont know how to determine that , my warranty expired and i dont trust the dealerships , im stuck and dont know what to do :/ , u dont think its a possible flywheel problem?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

Almost 100% sure its the clutch position sensor. It's the most annoying thing in the world. RPM's usually hang for about 1-2 seconds, not matching with the next gear. It should throw a code soon and then you will 100% know what it is. I think the part is around 30-40$

i think its about due for a clutch oil change , and these issues have been going on for about 400 miles or so with no code , will i get one soon?

Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    Almost 100% sure its the clutch position sensor. It's the most annoying thing in the world. RPM's usually hang for about 1-2 seconds, not matching with the next gear. It should throw a code soon and then you will 100% know what it is. I think the part is around 30-40$
    As I understand it, the sole purpose of the clutch position sensor (aka clutch switch) is to either enable or disable the starter circuit based on whether the clutch pedal is depressed or not depressed. If this is the case, the clutch switch has no effect on shifting. I do not find a defective clutch switch listed on any of the Service Manual troubleshooting charts for transmission problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 06BlackV View Post
    i think its about due for a clutch oil change , and these issues have been going on for about 400 miles or so with no code , will i get one soon?
    The troubleshooting chart for transmission shifting problems begins with verification of clutch operation. Beyond that problems shifting are either caused by issues with the shift linkage or the transmission itself. My guess is that your problem is clutch related. Below is the troubleshooting list for the clutch, by symptom:

The checklist in the Service Manual for Clutch Drag is as follows:
    1. Pedal blocked from full travel.
    2. Too much travel between pedal and clutch master cylinder or worn pedal bushings.
    3. Clutch pedal mounting loose.
    4. Linkage at pedal worn or damaged.
    5. Clutch master cylinder is seized or binding.
    6. Air in clutch hydraulic system.
    7. Clutch actuator (slave) cylinder seized or binding.
    8. Clutch master cylinder leaking internally.
    9. Damaged clutch assembly components. This includes damaged clutch disc, hub, splines, bent clutch disc, bent drive straps, broken or warped pressure plate. [I did not find any thickness specs for the clutch disc.]
    10. Excessive side loading on the release bearing.
    11. Faulty pilot bearing.
    12. Transmission input shaft splines are worn or damaged.
    13. Tight or contaminated clutch disc splines.
    14. Flywheel housing, engine block to clutch housing, or transmission front case excessively misaligned.
    15. Grease or oil contamination on the clutch disc facing.
    16. Loose, broken, or faulty motor mounts.

The checklist in the Service Manual for Clutch Slipping, which is identified by increase in RPM without increase in vehicle speed, is as follows:
    1. Incorrect pedal height, not allowing the clutch master cylinder to return.
    2. Clutch pedal spring is broken or missing.
    3. Clutch pedal is binding or sticking.
    4. Clutch master cylinder seized or binding.
    5. Clutch actuator cylinder seized or binding.
    6. Kinked or damaged clutch hose.
    7. Grease or oil contaminated clutch disc.
    8. Worn, damaged, or improperly resurfaced flywheel.

9. Worn clutch disc facing.
    10. Burnt or glazed clutch disc facing.
    12. Transmission input shaft splines worn or damaged.

Clutch grabbing differs from clutch drag and is defined in the Service Manual as: The clutch grabs or chatters, or the clutch is unable to release without the vehicle jerking. An abrupt engagement of the clutch.

The checklist in the Service Manual for Clutch Drag is as follows:
    1. Grease or oil contamination on the clutch facings – from, for example ,rear engine oil seal leakage.
    2. Loose, broken, or faulty engine mounts.
    3. Clutch pedal sticking.

4. Clutch actuator (slave cylinder) binding.
    5. Clutch master cylinder binding.
    6. Warped clutch cover.
    7. Improper clutch installation.
    8. Clutch disc binding on input shaft.
    9. Clutch pressure plate damaged.
    10. Flywheel improperly machined.
    11. Flywheel uneven.

The checklist in the service manual for Clutch Rattle, with clutch engaged or disengaged, is as follows:
    1. Idle rattle clutch engaged – replace engine flywheel due to faulty springs.
    2. Clutch is improperly installed.
    3. Clutch disc splines and input shaft splines worn.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

I remember Whisler151 had some problem with a sensor messing up his RPMs. Pretty sure it was under the dash and about 40 bucks. Check his threads.

And deff flush the clutch fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I remember Whisler151 had some problem with a sensor messing up his RPMs. Pretty sure it was under the dash and about 40 bucks. Check his threads.

And deff flush the clutch fluid.
    Found it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../t-204100.html

Looks like it was the clutch switch, even though I don't understand it (yet).

yeah, but you gotta remember. Inside of the clutch position sensor is a spring. If that spring breaks (which mine did). Putting in the clutch vis versa letting it out doesnt do it normal (Which causes funky RPM hangs/drops etc. I lived with this for like 5 months. The cruise control not working is just a GREAT tell tale sign that that sensor is going out or broken.

Jab31169 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I can 100% confirm that the Clutch position sensor will cause RPM's to hang when switching gears. Just had mine replaced yesterday and it fixed the RPM issue along with bring my cruise control back from the dead.

not to mention I can now rev match my down shifts without having to slam the gas pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    yeah, but you gotta remember. Inside of the clutch position sensor is a spring. If that spring breaks (which mine did). Putting in the clutch vis versa letting it out doesnt do it normal (Which causes funky RPM hangs/drops etc. I lived with this for like 5 months. The cruise control not working is just a GREAT tell tale sign that that sensor is going out or broken.
    The dot that I am unable (so far) to connect is any relationship between RPM and the clutch switch. According to the electrical diagrams the RPM is controlled by the throttle position sensor, the accelerator pedal position sensor and the throttle actuator. These RPM-related components are located on a separate circuit from the clutch switch which shares a circuit with the starter. Based on that, there is no obvious way the clutch switch should affect RPM. Obviously, my conclusion is wrong because there are several instances where the clutch switch clearly did affect RPM levels. I will figure it out eventually.

Does the PCM look for the clutch to be engaged/disengaged and somehow relate that to throttle position/response? Just a stab in the dark....

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The dot that I am unable (so far) to connect is any relationship between RPM and the clutch switch. According to the electrical diagrams the RPM is controlled by the throttle position sensor, the accelerator pedal position sensor and the throttle actuator. These RPM-related components are located on a separate circuit from the clutch switch which shares a circuit with the starter. Based on that, there is no obvious way the clutch switch should affect RPM. Obviously, my conclusion is wrong because there are several instances where the clutch switch clearly did affect RPM levels. I will figure it out eventually.
    I think that is why the dealership could not figure it out for 6 months. I finally had to tell them myself from people telling me on here and LS1tech. I dont think it has to do so much with it not being mated together in some way with the throttle, but the clutch knowing if it's fully engaged or not from a broken sensor. The sensor has to be good for something that has to do with the clutch. I wasnt totally explained what it was doing, but everyone I have talked to get's the issues; especially the rev matching and hanging throttle. It would be cool to get a low down of why it actually causes these symptoms

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.