2100-2350RPM Vibration fix is eluding me - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2100-2350RPM Vibration fix is eluding me in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Lesson learned... I will always have a flywheel balanced with the pressure plate attached when ever doing a clutch job. ...
    67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: 2100-2350RPM Vibration fix is eluding me

Lesson learned... I will always have a flywheel balanced with the pressure plate attached when ever doing a clutch job.

I will have to find someone here in PHX to balance my ls7 kit before I put it in.

DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Sounds like I need to find someone local to do this for me. If I had another car, I'd do it myself, but I don't think I want to try and fit this in over a weekend again, not so soon after I just did the job.

@DougNuts If I lived closer, I would help you.

I go to this place near by called DIYPerformanceAutomotive. they have 6 Lifts and a few other bays without lifts, tools, etc. they charge 20 bucks an hour for a bay w/ lift + tools. thy have a trans jack, screw jacks, etc.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Good news AG!

I guess it's fair to say that once the trans is removed for any reason, if not mated back perfectly, you could obtain these vibes..and when installing a new setup, get it balanced first. Of course, that would mean more labor since the fw doesn't necessarily have to come out on a clutch install.

Odd that the vibration rpm range is similar for all of us, even with different clutch kits and flywheels.

So, is removing the trans/clutch/fw in your home garage on jackstands feasible? I assume you'd have to jack out up quite far. I have access to a lift but can't leave it there ..plus I have no clue where to take the parts to get balanced. If someone screws it up, thats a heck of alot of labor to do again..

I might as well remove them all and get them balanced. I might ship off my trans as well to someone like rpm, to see if the input shaft is damaged from all the vibration. This would be a slam dunk in my bid to get it replaced under my (now expired) warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    Good news AG!

I guess it's fair to say that once the trans is removed for any reason, if not mated back perfectly, you could obtain these vibes..
    What do you mean about this? I just manhandled mine back in place.

and when installing a new setup, get it balanced first. Of course, that would mean more labor since the fw doesn't necessarily have to come out on a clutch install.

Odd that the vibration rpm range is similar for all of us, even with different clutch kits and flywheels.
    I agree that it's very odd and I also feel it shouldn't be necessary.

So, is removing the trans/clutch/fw in your home garage on jackstands feasible? I assume you'd have to jack out up quite far. I have access to a lift but can't leave it there

I might as well remove them all and get them balanced. I might ship off my trans as well to someone like rpm
    I drove the car up on ramps, jacked up the rear end and then jacked up the front until the tires were just barely on the ramps. When I get the time (a few months) I suppose I'll pull the transmission again and find someone to balance the assembly for me.

I meant the whole fw/c/pp unit, not sure why I said trans.

Your case seems to be different because you've had 2 setups and still have the vibes.. If yours ends up being the unit balance, that would be reassuring...I'd hate for this trans to be ruined over a stupid flywheel. Ive always treated it with care: never powershifted it, never under 65-70 in 6th, perfect rev matches, slowly click into gears, multiple fluid changes, etc.

I still want a new transmission. GM put a dm flywheel in a 400hp car. They need to understand that if that POS fails and ruins the transmission while under warranty, you provide new transmission.

If the dealer had reacted when I first mentioned the vibes, I may have never had a problem. It was still subjective due to no "comparison" cars. I convinced a local guy to bring in his V. Only then did they realize the vibes were not normal (this guy even has all the bmr parts on his V)....

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Fly, disc and pressure plate were zero balanced seperately and then together and marked before putting in the car.

$60 at a local machine shop my guy uses.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

This is a tip worth publicizing. Sounds like some come less than perfectly balanced, which is disappointing.

Yes...it is.

BUT, this clutch set-up was not meant for our application either.

The C5 Z06 and reg C6 guys run into the same issue from my readings...hanging on the back of a LS7 it might be smooth as a baby's bum however.

Out of balance is out of balance. when they assemble an engine at GM, they mount the Flywheel and balance the engine as an assembly and add weights to the flywheel.
    so when replacing a flywheel, it has to be zero balanced, they don't do a good job of that in mass prod.

True

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by 67electro View Post
    Out of balance is out of balance. when they assemble an engine at GM, they mount the Flywheel and balance the engine as an assembly and add weights to the flywheel.
    so when replacing a flywheel, it has to be zero balanced, they don't do a good job of that in mass prod.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2611217

Keep in mind guys, I had this problem before installing the LS7 flywheel/clutch/PP. Exact same vibration, exact same RPM.

The story of Fatty Flywheel

Fatty Flywheel was shot, so the dealer decided to replace her. Rocco Retardo was the tech that got the assignment...Uh Oh! He doesn't know the first thing about working on a V..he's got no manuals either. He's only getting paid for 1.3 shop hours, and it's friday, so he's ready to go. Fatty is in good, certified Goodwrench hands! Well, Rocco breaks your shifter trim, incorrectly re-installs your shifter base/plate and probably everything else northward. It shifts much rougher than when you took it in. Sometimes, if you're lucky, when you move the stick to right, it'll just get hung up on something... won't come out of gear or whatever the f it's getting jammed on, you just have to force it around until it lets go... chances are something else under there is just not right.

The End

lol, Dougnuts, and Cadzilla, how are things going with this?

I have my Ls7 kit, I need to order the bleeder still.

I can only find one place here in phoenix that will balance the assembly, and that's Chuck Speed and Rv center. they want 80 bucks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.