2100-2350RPM Vibration fix is eluding me - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2100-2350RPM Vibration fix is eluding me in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by DougNuts Of course, LS7 slave cylinder too. Okay. If I have read the previous posts correctly, the ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 2100-2350RPM Vibration fix is eluding me

Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
    Of course, LS7 slave cylinder too.
    Okay. If I have read the previous posts correctly, the vibration is present when the car is parked, in neutral, with the clutch pedal either up or down. Additionally, the vibration existed before the new harmonic balancer and before the LS7 clutch system. If all that is correct, it suggests a vibration unrelated to the engine itself (handled by the balancer) or the clutch (although the track record of LS7 setups with regard to vibration is less than stellar). The next logical source would seem to be the engine-driven accessories which includes those devices driven by the serpentine belt (power steering, AC, water pump and idler pulleys). To test that, one simply removes the serpentine belt to see whether the vibration remains with no belt driven devices at play. Obviously, you don't run the motor very long without the belt.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
    I've thought about it, but I've never heard of a driveshaft issue occurring in 6 different gears at the same RPM. Driveshaft issues typically occur in relation to vehicle speed (i.e. driveshaft speed).
    Tires?

Maybe your carrier bearing in your driveshaft is shot?

I'm still guessing it's connected to the flywheel/clutch though.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Okay. If I have read the previous posts correctly, the vibration is present when the car is parked, in neutral, with the clutch pedal either up or down. Additionally, the vibration existed before the new harmonic balancer and before the LS7 clutch system. If all that is correct, it suggests a vibration unrelated to the engine itself (handled by the balancer) or the clutch (although the track record of LS7 setups with regard to vibration is less than stellar). The next logical source would seem to be the engine-driven accessories which includes those devices driven by the serpentine belt (power steering, AC, water pump and idler pulleys). To test that, one simply removes the serpentine belt to see whether the vibration remains with no belt driven devices at play. Obviously, you don't run the motor very long without the belt.
    ^definitely worth a try^

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Bumping this thread...I'm in the EXACT same boat.

My buddy that helped me put my LS7 clutch in is a GM tech...so I'm going to lean on him for a possible solution.

DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

AG'S-V, let me know what he says. Like you, I have contemplated selling the car after dropping $2000 into it and still having the same vibration.

I would try to run the car without the accessory belt, but it's most noticeable (read: easier to hold it at the right RPM) in higher gears and I don't want to drive it that fast/long without the belt on.

After doing research on other LS forums it appears that I need to have the flywheel, disc and pressure plate all balanced seperately...then together as a whole to be verified.

Nothing to do with accessory drives...it was smooth as silk with the OEM clutch on mine.

And yes...I thought about selling mine too...new 5.0 Stang is looking reeeaaaally good about now

UPDATE

Taking it in on Monday to have the clutch pulled, balanced and put back in...Tech Auto in Houston quoted me $323 to take it out, $70 to balance and put it back in...not bad!

Will report back next week.

Quote Originally Posted by AG'S-V View Post
    UPDATE

Taking it in on Monday to have the clutch pulled, balanced and put back in...Tech Auto in Houston quoted me $323 to take it out, $70 to balance and put it back in...not bad!

Will report back next week.
    Sweet deal, let me know how it goes. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you though, my car did it with 100% stock parts and 100% LS7 parts. I do not think it's the issue on my car. I am wondering about my input shaft on the transmission though.

67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

if you put the car in gear, but keep the clutch in (car not moving) then the input shaft as well as the clutch disk will not be moving. the only thing rotating will be the engine, flywheel and pressure plate.

this will rule out anything to do with the transmission & drive shaft. drive shaft only moves when the car does.

I really hope you both figure out whats going on. I just put Ultra mounts in, and I have the vibes too. I was sure it was the flywheel becuase I too had the shudder at shutdown, I am at 104k and in hot Phoenix.

reading this post : http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2549475

I was like "Woohoo!" all I need is a new Flywheel/clutch setup. but with you two (DougNuts, and AG'S-V) now I am worried.

I get the car back today...fingers crossed!

Seems some of the Vette guys had the same issue...shop I'm using is familiar with the issues too, he's confident this will take care of it.

@AG'S-V - how did it go?

Cool Re: 2100-2350RPM Vibration fix is eluding me

FIXED!

Car is smooth as silk now through all the RPM range, shifting has improved too...it's not "tight" anymore and back to normal.

That's great! I don't understand how my stock flywheel and the LS7 flywheel would both cause the exact same vibration....

@AG'S-V That is very cool.

so now you are running an LS7 Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Slave, with smooth results..
    what motor mounts do you have? Stock? or CS Ultra?

CS motor mounts and tranny mount, as well as their rear end bushing/block.

It went from almost feeling like a cylinder was missing at 1800ish rpm to smoothness and back to normal.

There is still just barely...BARELY a vibration right off idle, nothing that's noticable and not NEAR as bad as it was, probably what would normaly be absorbed by the OEM slush mounts.

I'm a happy camper now! Taking it on a road trip from Houston to Hot Springs this weekend.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.