Is this the power steering cooler?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Is this the power steering cooler? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; While changing the oil recently, I noticed the one line is wet and I don't think it's motor oil from ...
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Is this the power steering cooler?

While changing the oil recently, I noticed the one line is wet and I don't think it's motor oil from the changes. Im good about keeping things clean. Finally get an appt with a loaner at the dealer and they tell me the power steering isn't leaking. They ran a dye through it and pressure tested. I said that I wasn't sure if it was power steering... just told them the location of the hoses and what looks to be a tiny cooler section. I just assumed it was. I didnt look when changing the oil since I didnt have a lot of time and just assumed the dealer could handle this since it still under CPO...why spend time wrenching on this car yet. I've only had this car a little over a year and I've only installed the exhaust, intake, shifter and CAGS delete...along with oil changes and wheel swaps. And the dealer has done a bunch of the common issues/failures under CPO including the rear diff, rad, NAV (second time will be tomorrow when it shows up), and a bunch of other things. So, Im still a noob.... and this is the first time the dealer just didn't throw parts at it. And my car is still at the dealer until the new NAV comes in, since the original had chipped buttons when I bought it and the replacement had some funky marks on the lower screen and one of the dots on the right side wasn't inline with the others ...talk about poor quality control and why let the car go out with it??

So, is this the power steering cooler? If not, what is it? You'd think a cooler would be out front.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Is this the power steering cooler?

The hoses in the picture are the power steering hoses. The cooler itself is located in front of the radiator behind the grill.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ler/index.html

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Thanks. I should've kept digging around the FAQs.

Im taking the FAQ pic above to them today to show them what I'm talking about. I know mine is leaking, even the reservoir dropped a little recently since the last time I checked fluids in the engine bay.

It always seems like there is a loss of communication with advisors. It would just be easier to talk to the techs who know the cars. It doesn't help that I don't know much yet either, but you'd think they'd be trained as well as get to know the cars better as they service them. Need Lindsay to be closer!

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Does anyone know how much power steering fluid I need to buy if I'm gonna replace it?

PISNUOFF Guest

Complete flush is about 1 qt. I buy two Redline synthetic quarts and have a lot left over.

The system capacity is not provided in the Service Manual, but is more than a pint and less than a quart. However, if you flush the system by running the engine and letting fluid drain at the same time (the method outlined in the Service Manual) it can consume up to four quarts.

(Since I do mine annually, I just drain it, fill it, and then refill it after running the motor long enough to eliminate any air.)

Thanks guys. I'll go with 1 quart for drain and refill.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The system capacity is not provided in the Service Manual, but is more than a pint and less than a quart. However, if you flush the system by running the engine and letting fluid drain at the same time (the method outlined in the Service Manual) it can consume up to four quarts.

(Since I do mine annually, I just drain it, fill it, and then refill it after running the motor long enough to eliminate any air.)
    Darkman, I was tryin your method and wonder if I could get some pointers on how to refill. This is te first time I've done this. I dropped the power steering fluid cooler, drained the fluid from the lines and also tipped the cooler to drain all the fluid from the cooler. I then filled up the reservoir, but it didn't take much. Maybe 1/5 quart. I then ran the engine with the cap off the reservoir and turned the steering wheel slightly either direction. The PS groaned considerably. I then turned the engine off (was only on fr about 40 seconds), and found that the PS fluid had bubbled up to the level I the cap and was about to overflow. Had a lot of bubbles in it. Am I supposed to do the refill/start motor/ turn wheel/ shut off motor steps with the cap on or off?

I anyone else knows, please chime in! Thanks!

I just run the engine with the cap off and keep topping it off if the fluid level drops. It sounds like you may have an air pocket. It should go away by running the motor, but if it does not you can loosen the return line at the pump to force some air out. The problem with doing this is that you almost need an assistant to kill the motor the instant the air to turns to fluid or you can get a lot of spillage.

Thanks darkman. What I wound up doing is I had my wife turn the car over and turn the wheels side to side while I watched. I would then have her kill the engine, at which point I would wrap a rag around the reservoir to sop up the fuzzy PS fluid that would bubble out. There would also be big bubbles.

Interestingly, every time she killed the engine, I would here a loud pfft sound like air releasing. Do you think that's the PS pressure relief valve? Figurin it was the relief valve, and that the cap didn't have to be off the res to release air, we then continued the procedure a couple times with the cap on.

After about five or six cycles, the noise from te PS motor was dramatically diminished. I just took it for a drive and it was silent.

Really curious about the pressure relief valve...

See attached.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    See attached.
    That was super interesting. Thank you, darkman. Wish I knew your real name, lol.

The document doesn't say anything about a pressure relief valve, though...[COLOR="Silver"]

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I guess we're over the Hamster comment, haha...
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I guess we're over the Hamster comment, haha...
    For reals. Darkman can call me hamster any time. Anyone else can expect a visit IRL, lol

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Good stuff.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.