HELP - is my dealer screwing with me
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, HELP - is my dealer screwing with me in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So a 6 weeks ago I had a coolant leak, had to get my water pump replaced, had to haggle ...
    Hockeyref is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Black CTSV

HELP - is my dealer screwing with me

So a 6 weeks ago I had a coolant leak, had to get my water pump replaced, had to haggle the price down to make it reasonable (somewhat). I noticed that my coolant is leaking AGAIN, now the tank under the rad is leaking, so its only 50 bucks more to do the whole rad so I might as well. BUT they are trying to figure out why my system keeps developing a leak. Pressure tested the cylinders and nothing found, now they want to pressure test the cooling system once its back together. I'm afraid the next step is a head gasket. Any suggestions out there? My bills are adding up WAY too quickly. Just bought the car in March and other than the cooling system it has been wonderful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: HELP - is my dealer screwing with me

I am not sure what "tank under the radiator" you are talking about. I have had my radiator out of the car many times and there is no separate tank "under the radiator." In any event, there is no mystery as to why you have leaks - the GM radiators notoriously defective in this cars. Some folks have replaced theirs 3-4 times. (I went aftermarket, but it was not cheap.)

Thanks for the quick reply darkman. I'm not sure on the tank either, have only had the car a few months. But only a few bucks more to replace the radiator so I have already committed to doing that. My fear is that they will find another leak somewhere and want to replace my headgasket. Gasket is cheap, labour is not. Are these engines known for head gasket problems?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyref View Post
    My fear is that they will find another leak somewhere and want to replace my headgasket. Gasket is cheap, labour is not. Are these engines known for head gasket problems?
    Nope.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

I bet once they get a new radiator in there you won't have a leak.

That sounds encouraging, thanks. Dealer will do a pressure test on the cooling system once the new rad is in, sure hope that takes care of it.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Are the end tanks not on the top and bottom of the radiator? Is that not the typical issue with these?

Not sure, my car's sitting in the shop right now - hope to have it back soon...

cam3439 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

It sounds like they are talking about the end tanks that cap both ends of the radiator (upper and lower ends). I don't know if this is where these radiators develop the leak though.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I'm sure the "tank under the radiator" is actually the bottom tank of the radiator. As already mentioned, the radiator has top and bottom "end tanks". There is no "tank under the radiator", there is just the radiator itself.

I noticed that my coolant is leaking AGAIN, now the tank under the rad is leaking, so its only 50 bucks more to do the whole rad so I might as well.
    This comment confuses me. Did they offer to replace the "tank under the radiator", and then offer to replace the radiator itself for only $50 more?

BUT they are trying to figure out why my system keeps developing a leak. Pressure tested the cylinders and nothing found, now they want to pressure test the cooling system once its back together. I'm afraid the next step is a head gasket.
    I don't think there's any reason to think a head gasket would be next on the list.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

They told me the tank was leaking, another $58 to do the whole radiator while it was apart so I said ok. Should get the car back at the end of today, then will keep an eye on the coolant level - hopefully this will be the end of it as long as the coolant level stays up.

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

mine leaked from the tank too. Something tells me you A, didn't need a water pump, or B, the tech there broke the radiator somehow.

BirdmanTamu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

The factory radiators have plastic top and bottom end tanks that are connected to the radiator via metal tabs. They leak at that interface between metal tab and plastic; usually biased towards the return side.

Got the car back today with the new rad no leaks so far but will have to keep an eye on it for the next while. Now myTPM sensors won't work after disconnecting the battery. They tried to get the module to read the sensors but no luck even though the sensors are working and doing a reset. Waiting for a response from GM

So my TPM sensors started working the next day, coolant seems to have stopped leaking - all is good. Thanks everyone for you input, much appreciated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.