Hard going into reverse
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Hard going into reverse in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Only had the V about a month so far. Reverse seems to be giving me fits. Goes in relatively easy ...
    ctsvoom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

Hard going into reverse

Only had the V about a month so far. Reverse seems to be giving me fits. Goes in relatively easy when car is off but hard enough when running a couple times I thought it wasn't going to go into gear. Other gears go in but seem a little notchy to me. I'm hoping this isnt going to be a pocket busting expense as I just bought the car. But if anyone has some insight i'd appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Hard going into reverse

The first item on the troubleshooting list for any transmission shifting problem is to check the clutch fluid level and condition. It can be too low or be contaminated. A quick fix, is to use a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the clutch master cylinder and replenish it with fresh DOT 3/DOT 4 fluid.

Beyond that, because reverse has a lock-out solenoid, which is supposed to prevent reverse gear engagement above 3 mph, there could be some issue with the solenoid.

Level is good on it and changed the fluid a week after I got it with the syringe method until I can get to a shop. Which will be this weekend I hope. Tried it from underneath and could not get to bleeder.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The only possibility that comes to mind would be some issue with the shifter such as worn bushings.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

I almost never get into reverse as easily as other gears. I assumed it was normal. The question, of course, is "how much harder should it be?" I dunno.

cam3439 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Its always been harder for me too. The trick to mine, though, is once I am all the way to the top at the far right side of the shifter, I'll hook it back to the left (still going up slightly) and it'll go in nicely. It might just be me, but when I do that there is no need to exert much force to the shifter in order to get it into reverse.

Natedog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS-V Series

Put it in 4th before shifting to reverse... sometimes takes a bit more force to get it into R, but works for me... and yes i do it everytime

Sometimes it seems like a quick engine blip helps it slot in. I don't know if that's a sign of worn engine mounts or something else, or just coincidence.

Cobrahunter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Black Cts-V

i hit 5th before reverse every time....my z28 was tight goin into reverse too.

It's tight going into most gears today. Took to dealer they say needs clutch, slave, and brg. Nearly shit when they told me how much though. Think i will sweet talk the BF into doing it. I was trying to keep from hassling him with it but for this kinda money i'll have to. He wants to try and bleed the system on it first and then go from there and he can order the parts cheaper and do the labor.

Definitely check clutch fluid and bleed/flush the system before you do anything serious to it. Just get a short 8mm wrench and it can be done. I bought a Motive power bleeder so I don't even need another person, and it avoids constantly having to open and close the bleeder. Worth the $90 or whatever it was. I think I also used one of the hoses to avoid fluid going everywhere. Really turned what could be a crummy job (that everyone complains about) into something fairly easy.

Just a note - the bleeder only needs like a 1/4 turn, which is quite nice, considering where it is.

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What's the mileage? Stock clutches, while annoying and very heavy, do seem to last a long time. Is it slipping? I would guess this is a fluid and shifter/bushing problem. If you have a stock shifter on it it's garbage and you should get an aftermarket one, everyone does. When I got a uuc shifter and bushings and fully bled and replaced the clutch fluid it was fine. Even with a new transmission and stock clutch, uuc and fresh fluid reverse can still be annoying.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I always go to 4th gear before reverse as well. Seems to help out a lot on most T-56's.

Just changing the reservoir fluid doesn't really do much at all. You need to do a whole system bleed at the bleeder screw on the trans. Remote line FTW!

Trying the bleed tonight. Started to last night and he's underneath while I was pumping pedal. Next thing I know pedal to the floor and nothing. Have a friend with a bleeder that forces fluid up instead of vaccuming down like we tried last night. Car only has 43K on it and was really not looking at problems like this already. Love the car but makes me wonder if I should have kept the Toyota as it had 106K and never had a problem with it. But I really do love the car! It does still have the stock shifter in it. A replacement will depend upon what this ends up costing me. If it's a simple drain and fill then i'll look into one but if its more costly then it will have to wait most likely. I do appreciate everyones thoughts and ideas on what the possible issues could be.

leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

My stock 2006 with 3,200 miles was awful going into reverse. I now have UUC, still sometimes difficult. I find the old double clutch manuver helpful at times.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.