Real High Oil Temperatures on Maggied V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Real High Oil Temperatures on Maggied V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yesterday I was driving down the freeway way at normal speed (80F outside) when my oil temp warning goes off. ...
    OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Real High Oil Temperatures on Maggied V

Yesterday I was driving down the freeway way at normal speed (80F outside) when my oil temp warning goes off. I have done the grounding fix and prior to the maggie it worked great. I pulled off into a gas station and I could smell a distinct burning. I pulled the dipstick to check the oil level and smoke came out! The temperatures are sporadic, moving between 270-330F but always reading very high. I have a feeling the oil is actually getting this hot. What should I check first? I could not find any posts with similar issues.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Real High Oil Temperatures on Maggied V

What are your coolant temperature and oil pressure levels doing when the oil temperature gets high?

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

FWIW, when I pull the dipstick immediately after shutting the engine down, I always get smoke. The dipstick tube is right next to the manifolds, which are quite hot.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

The fact that the temperature is moving around indicates to me that it's not accurate (in other words, that you've got an electrical issue again). The oil temp sensor is in the oil pan sump measuring the temperature of what should be a pretty good pool of oil. Oil doesn't change temperature in either direction quickly - it heats up more slowly than the coolant, and then it retains heat longer than the coolant.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    What are your coolant temperature and oil pressure levels doing when the oil temperature gets high?
    45psi@ 70mph and 195F for engine coolant temp nd up to 201F when i was slowing down. Today it was consistently 275F to 280F on the freeway. I am concerned more because of the burning smell.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    45psi@ 70mph and 195F for engine coolant temp nd up to 201F when i was slowing down. Today it was consistently 275F to 280F on the freeway. I am concerned more because of the burning smell.
    As AAIIIC reported, the signature of the faulty sender/ground condition is erratic oil temperature levels since the actual oil temperature simply cannot change in either direction very quickly. How erratic is has the oil temperature been? Your coolant temps don't seem to indicate a hot engine although the oil pressure seems on the low side of normal. I would change out the sender and redo the grounds before I went looking for other, more expensive causes. Finally, you could check the temperature of the oil filter/oil pan with an infrared thermometer (cheap at Radio Shack) after a high temperature drive.

when im cruising on the freeway, the oil temperature appears to be very consistent. When i start to slow down and got off the freeway the readings then start going all over the place. I have redone the grounding spot multiple times, cleaned it off with a wire brush and added a star washer, so I'm not sure what else i could do for that ground. what is normal operating oil pressure? when i come to a stop or slow down the pressure drops to 32-36psi.

I believe oil pressure, once completely warmed up, is around 55psi when cruising. The fact that the oil temp goes "all over the place" under any circumstances leads back to guage system. If the grounds are good then it must be the sender.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Idle after warm up is between 32 and 36 psi with about 10 psi increase for every 1k rpm (roughly).

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

As a point of reference, I just drove 275 miles this afternoon at an average speed of 79 MPH (~2,200 RPM) in about 80 deg F air and watched my coolant temp (solid 195 deg F) and oil temp (steady 219-221 deg F) and oil pressure (129 psi). Forget that last one.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    As a point of reference, I just drove 275 miles this afternoon at an average speed of 79 MPH (~2,200 RPM) in about 80 deg F air and watched my coolant temp (solid 195 deg F) and oil temp (steady 219-221 deg F) and oil pressure (129 psi). Forget that last one.
    "80 deg F" - must have a bloody cold front up there. That is a night time low down south.

at idle i'm at 33 psi, at 2000 45 psi and 55psi at 3000 rpm which seems normal.

Does the CTS-V have an oil cooler bypass valve? it seems like something that could be stuck open if it indeed has one.

No oil cooler and no bypass valve. A lot of folks on this forum have had the problem with the high oil temperature. I don't recall any instances where the problem turned out to have a cause other than the gauge system itself (sender, wiring, grounds).

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    FWIW, when I pull the dipstick immediately after shutting the engine down, I always get smoke. The dipstick tube is right next to the manifolds, which are quite hot.
    Yup...that is a fact...I'll post of vid later of the smoking dipstick after an AutoBahn run....pretty common for long sessions of 5k+ rpms.....

However....that doesn't sound like the OP's case though....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.