Real High Oil Temperatures on Maggied V - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Real High Oil Temperatures on Maggied V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by OneFast V ... I pulled the dipstick to check the oil level and smoke came out! ... ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Real High Oil Temperatures on Maggied V

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    ... I pulled the dipstick to check the oil level and smoke came out! ...
    In the olden days, before PVC valves, cars had breather tubes sticking out the bottom of the motor. They vented blowby gases from the crankcase. They also dripped oil, and roads always had darkened areas down the middle of the road. Take a look next time you see some movie footage of a highway from the '50s. That smoke is undoubtedly just your everyday blowby gas.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    "80 deg F" - must have a bloody cold front up there. That is a night time low down south.
    Spectacular weather up here right now. Green and lush, too. Mosquitos? Yup, we got plenty. You can have that 100 deg/90% humidity sauna in SE Texas or that dessicated 115 deg pizza oven crap SW of there. I'll take this any day.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

When i look in front of my heat exchanger and radiator there is another smaller cooler that is maybe 4in. x 12in. mounted perpendicular to the other two, i just assumed that was an oil cooler?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

That is the power steering fluid cooler.

well it appears i still have a ground issue, specifically when the car is running the temperature reads all over the place. When i turn it off but keep it in accessory mode it read about 206-210 after a bit of driving. What would change the ground potentials with the car running versus not?

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Voltage drop from much more current going through those ground connections. Clean the connection at the back of the pass side head.

i've cleaned it several times and put the star washer on it too .

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    i've cleaned it several times and put the star washer on it too .
    You say you have cleaned "it." As I read the "sticky" and other threads on this subject there is more than one ground that can influence this condition. The first is the negative post of the battery; another is the ground strap to the motor; another is the one just under the hood support stick; and then there are those on the back of both heads.

i will have to check the other grounding points, i was however reading about 40mv between the ground near the hood support and negative battery after i cleaned it and added a star washer. Next thing will be to check the ground to the motor.

Tried to get at the grounding strap on the block, what a bitch! I decided it would be easier to splice off the ground wire from the oil temp sensor itself and it seems to be working, after some spirited driving the oil temp never went over 230F. It did however jump really quickly when I turned of the car and started it again up to about 300F but within a minute had settled in to around 226-230F

I still have a certain smell coming from the engine bay after extended drives, but I believe it to be something else separate i will have to figure out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.