new trans installed but hard to shift and drivetrain whine presists
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, new trans installed but hard to shift and drivetrain whine presists in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have 07 V with 72k and took it in for drivetrain noise. I figured diff but dealer instead replaced ...
    garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

new trans installed but hard to shift and drivetrain whine presists

I have 07 V with 72k and took it in for drivetrain noise. I figured diff but dealer instead replaced trans with new unit and also replaced clutch slave and clutch switch as they found it hard to shift when taking it for test drive. I get the car happy it has a new trans and slave but its really hard to shift gears now. Shifting up to 5th or 6th and back down to 5th from 6th especially takes a lot of force and precision. I have a pisnuoff modified stock shifter and bushings. Also to boot the drivetrain noise is still present. They agreed to look at again on Monday after waiting 12 days for a new trans to arrive and be installed, but any ideas what either of the issues could be?

I did some searches and plenty of people state their diff's whine which is why I took my car in to begin with but could a motor mount cause this sort of issue or maybe the clutch has finally given up. One of the motor mounts was changed about 40k ago and afaik its the original clutch. I am sure the clutch is due but are certain gears harder to find as the clutch starts to fail?

The drivetrain noise is from 2k-3k rpm in 4th-6th gears and also when engine braking through that rpm range, can hear a higher pitch noise coming from either trans or further downstream in the drivetrain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: new trans installed but hard to shift and drivetrain whine presists

Update: Dealership is ordering new diff but says small amount of whine is normal. Also states new transmission is tight and will take some time before 5th 6th gears can be accessed easily in all situations and motor mounts were said to be ok by dealer.

I suspect the clutch is dragging but will give it some time. I have planned to do a ls7 clutch at some point this year but if this thing doesn't loosen up in the next few weeks my hand will be forced to go ahead early with it.

Solved: Serial 0006450001210E installed (assume this is gen4) and its quiet. I could always get noise around 2-3k in 4th/5th gears but now all I can hear is the stump pulling ls2.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Wow ... three posts and all is well.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

What's the part number? That'll tell you if it's a gen 4 diff.

And it probably is since that's probably all that is available...namely a dealer getting one. When the dealer replaced mine under CPO, it was a gen 4.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Lol, sweet! People answering themselves!

Bleed your clutch.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Doesn't matter, they all howl like a wolf at some point!
    Aaaaaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.o.o.o..o... o.......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.