Another "what noise is this", intermittent metallic squeal ouside, whistle in cabin..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another "what noise is this", intermittent metallic squeal ouside, whistle in cabin.. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok, did some searching, reading, and I think I found my issue: Failing/squealing propshaft bearing As in this post, here: ...
    PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Another "what noise is this", intermittent metallic squeal ouside, whistle in cabin..

Ok, did some searching, reading, and I think I found my issue:
    Failing/squealing propshaft bearing
    As in this post, here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-squeal.html

I'll post up my symptoms just for reference. My '05 has maggie, corsa exhaust, some suspension mods. I do have throttle body blade whistle with slight throttle input, and this is not what I am hearing.

About 6 months ago I started getting a very intermittent noise. When it appears, it only starts up at highway speeds and only after being on the highway for 5-10 minutes. When it appears, inside the cabin its sounds just like a whistle. It is totally independent of clutch engagement, engine rpm, or gearing. It is not HVAC related. Totally independent of brakes or no brakes. The only dependent variables I can determine are that if cruising and throttle is applied, it will decrease in pitch slightly until load relaxes on the engine and the pitch rises, and that in general pitch increases with mph speed. When reducing in speed, the noise will trail off and stop anywhere from 45mph to as low as 30mph. The noise will also stop or start suddenly when going over bumpy spots on the highway.

The noise is nonlocalized in the cabin. I had a buddy trying to locate it and could not. I thought maybe I had a door stuck in the HVAC that was whistling or a fan squealing but it is not localized.

Then it got warmer outside and I drove over a bridge in the fast lane with the window down one day when the "whistle" was going. Wow! The "whistle" inside is a mechanical screaching outside. I still can't localize it front to back but definitely under the car.

When the noise stops, it sounds like a rotational situation b/c as it trails off it sort of "wub wub wubs" the last few rotations.

So, I thought maybe wheel bearings, but navigating on/off ramps at speed does nothing to the pitch/volume/tone of the noise in either direction.

Due to the on/off nature I'm pretty convinced it is not the rear diff. That and the fact that it will continue under full loaded or full non-loaded coasting the same fashion. I'm thinking that it really isn't transmission related either.

I'm pretty much down to one guess: The propshaft carrier bearing.

Now, what is the fix? The post linked above says new OEM driveshaft: $900-1000 installed
    (the bearing part # was only good for the non-V driveshaft I guess)

Any word from GeForce? Theirs is a 2 piece but Chris was waiting for availability for a while?

DSS. I guess I could look at them for a carbon 1 piece, as I would want piece of mind for occasional closed course 160+ speed range. Sort of overkill for 99% of my driving, though.

I really do not want to give $1000 to a dealer (no offense to Lindsay and others) if it will just be susceptible to failure in another 50k miles.

Thanks for any input,

PJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Have you hit the bearing with lithium grease yet to see of it gets quieter?

A few guys have rebuilt this bearing as well.

Re: Another "what noise is this", intermittent metallic squeal ouside, whistle in cab

From what I read I thought the "bearing kit" was only for the non-V cts's and that there was no rebuild kit for the V?
    I guess every bearing is technically rebuildable but hadn't seen a writeup on it. I'll search again.

I will try to grease the bearing but haven't crawled under to check it out yet.

-PJ

Re: Another "what noise is this", intermittent metallic squeal ouside, whistle in cab

Just to close this out for now....

I bought a can of SeaFoam "Deep Creep", per suggestions of some other driveshaft bearing squeal threads. Gave it a few shots from front and rear on that bearing.....

....after two weeks, not a peep from that pesky bearing. If this lasts 2 or 3 months between treatments, I think I've found the best fix for me. It's way better than a $1000 OE or aftermarket shaft. I can keep saving for an entire rear end swap now.

-PJ

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

So, it appears that it WAS the bearing. Interesting ...
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

kjr6306 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Maggied.

Yup....same symtoms with mine. When I get sick of it I just crawl under and dump a half a can of white lithium spray grease all over the bearing. Seems to last for a month or so.

rjm27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the exact same issue. Where exactly is the bearing? I thought it might be the driveshaft coupler, but had that checked and it's fine.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by rjm27 View Post
    I have the exact same issue. Where exactly is the bearing? I thought it might be the driveshaft coupler, but had that checked and it's fine.
    In the middle of the two piece driveshaft. I just hit mine with some deep creep myself....

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

If a guy was gonna shoot a little preventative stuff on it, what's the consensus of opinion as to what that "stuff" would be? I'm hearing a bunch of different stuff.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I would guess anything with penetration and residual material for lubrication would do. Hmm, that didn't come out the best, but I guess I'll go with it.

I'm a fan of Royal Purple and they have a penetrant/lubricant that I almost picked up but it was $$ and uses wax as a lube. SeaFoam products have had an excellent reputation in engine intake cleaning for years, and after reading the label a few times and with the positive reviews on other threads, I gave it a try for this bearing. I think it is a good balance between a pure penetrant/degreaser like wd-40 or PBBlaster and a straight up lithium grease. I didn't know if the latter would work its way in enough without having a wetting solvent carrier in it.

So far so good with Deep Creep. I'd put that s#@t on anything.

-PJ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.