Rear knuckle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear knuckle in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Has anyone else had problems? mine seems to be never ending, originally bent a toe rod because of a bent ...
    crazybiker51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v, toyota rock crawler with 472

Rear knuckle

Has anyone else had problems? mine seems to be never ending, originally bent a toe rod because of a bent wheel, so upgraded to teflon heims, exactly the same as those after market toe rods, well i had the bolt holding it to the knuckle snap a month ago, looing at the bolt, it had been sheared for a while, it appears the countersink in the nuckle is slightly rounded, so i had a machine shop remove the broken bolt and reinstalled it, well few weeks later it felt sheared again, just tore it apart and removed the bolt by hand, it had mangled all the threads that were holding it in, aswell as the countersink part, im trying to figure out a solution here to have strength so i have no more problems in the future, dropping the nuckle off at the machine shop tomorrow to figure something out, however i feel the toe rod is just being held by the shear strength of the grade 10.9 bolt, since the countersink part seems to not do much,

Im thinking have the counter sink part machined deeper, and get longer toe rod piece that goes in deeper, since theres alot of meat in the knuckle where that is, and the fact the threads go all the way through.
    What are your guy's thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Re: Rear knuckle

If you look at the stock toe rods they go into that counter sink, you need to duplicate that, it takes the shear load off of the bolt (the bolt is really only there to hold tension onto the rod end to keep that nub into the counter bore.

If you cannot rig that up, make sure you are using a shoulder bolt, the threads of a bolt are the weakest, you want the shear load going into a solid shaft (ie the top part of a shoulder bolt with no threads on it)

my toe rods are exactly the same as stock, they go in the countersink, but the holes are slightly ovalled, im going to guess from just flex? i guess the half inch redi rod of the stock ones flexed before, now my DOM rods, have no give, so im guessing the steel meeting allum. is where the flex is? i dont see why im having such problems here, they should be as rigid as possible

the latest bolt i replaced it with was mainly shoulder, it's fully intact no cracks, the stock bolt is what let go

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Do you have any pictures of what problem you're having and what you're proposing to try to fix it?

Thinking of machining the counter sink deeper into the knuckle, and having a longer toe rod end like the picture

Brought the knuckle to the machine shop today, and they said they could not machine it deeper due to setting it up sqaure..... my days messing around with a milling machine, i seem to remember doing some odd shapes. They then gave me a bs excuse that helicoils are rare for 14mm, and would take weeks to come in, roomate ordered me some in at his auto parts store and had them within the hour, so looks like i'll repair the threads, and fill around the countersunk piece with jb weld to make it tight. Phoned around for a used knuckle, found one for $350, thought that was a little steep since i saw a right hand side one on ebay for $100,

Happy to know like the rest of you guys that if i need new i'll use Luke at lindsay, he said $240 for the knuckle where my local dealarship quoted me $609 for it, and argued with me that thats the lowest they can go after i told them that i found another dealarship thats over 50% cheaper... Cant wait for the salesman at that lot to call me again, since i test drove a v2 a few days ago to see if i want one, and thats the second time the parts guys have been useless... I'll be happy to shop elsewhere!
    Going to see if the helicoils will fix my problem, otherwise i'll just order a new knuckle south of the border

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by crazybiker51 View Post
    my toe rods are exactly the same as stock, they go in the countersink, but the holes are slightly ovalled, im going to guess from just flex? i guess the half inch redi rod of the stock ones flexed before, now my DOM rods, have no give, so im guessing the steel meeting allum. is where the flex is? i dont see why im having such problems here, they should be as rigid as possible

the latest bolt i replaced it with was mainly shoulder, it's fully intact no cracks, the stock bolt is what let go
    So you're saying the "shoulder" (the piece going between the heim joint and into the recess in the knuckle) on your toe rod is made of aluminum, or are you referring to the recess in the knuckle? Is that part of the OEM toe rod steel?

Rereading I think you're saying the steel toe rod shoulder into the aluminum knuckle. If the area is ovaled, perhaps the bolt wasn't torqued enough, allowing things to rock back and forth?

Maybe it'd be a better idea to have urethane bushings replacing the OEM rubber units instead of solid joints for that component? The urethane would still offer some give in that area, but keep the toe in check better than rubber.

yes the toe rod shoulder is steel, im gonna guess the first time it wasn't torqued enough, otherwise yeah it being so rigid it was flexing the bolt over time (5 months) Im going to make the shoulder as small as possible, to suck the heim right in as close as possible, so less leverage, and helicoil the knuckle tomorrow.

The whole design is goofy, such small components, and you would think having a rigid toe rod, like a tie rod would be best, to reduce movement, but who knows, hopefully i figure this out

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.