bits in diff fluid
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, bits in diff fluid in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2005 cts v. It's got about 59000 miles on it. The differential was replaced ...
    stealthv29 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts v stealth gray

bits in diff fluid

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 2005 cts v. It's got about 59000 miles on it. The differential was replaced at about 40000 miles to what I believe is a gen 3 diff. I had it in today to get some fluids switched out, and when they did the diff fluid this is what came out (attached). Otherwise there has been no indication that the diff is going, no grinding or whining etc.

Anyone know what these bits are? Is this an immediate concern?

Thanks in advance

fm
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: bits in diff fluid

Are those pieces solid metal or particles compacted together? The former would be of some concern whereas the latter would be of no consequence.

In either case, there is not much to do until some real symptoms develop.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Drive it till she breaks! When I change mine I get some fine "sludgy" metal goop on the magnet tip but that is all.

Thanks for the replies. I think that is what I will do, just keep driving it until I start to notice symptoms.

But yes the bits are actually solid pieces of metal.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Given how flat the pieces are together with the color they look iike pieces from the multi-disc limited slip clutch packs as opposed to either the ring and pinion gears.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Given how flat the pieces are together with the color they look iike pieces from the multi-disc limited slip clutch packs as opposed to either the ring and pinion gears.
    ^^^ Yeah that.

Nonetheless, a bit disconcerting for sure. I'd be changing out the fluid periodically and keeping an eye on further deterioration of the disk(s).
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

branland is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V SC

Just replaced mine. It was leaking pretty badly. Last time a changed the fluid it was silver.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

When I bought my Cherokee I drained the transmission fluid (standard transmission) at ~160K, and it came out looking reflective silver. The transmission was shifting terribly, and the fluid looked horrible. I was sure I would be in for a new transmission (cheap, and easy to replace, at least); but I put new fluid in anyway and when I sold it at 217K, it was shifting better than when I bought it and going strong. So, don't lose hope, your diff might have a very long life ahead of it.

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

yeah when i changed my diff fluid there was a corner of a gear, i panicked then said **** it, the diff is fine still.

That was about 2 months ago.

Thanks for the advice all! That is a bit disconcerting if its part of the disk, although it really seems to be shifting/driving fine. I will definitely plan on changing out the fluid again after a few thousand miles and see what I see.

Thanks again!

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Woooweee those are some chunks! But I agree with Darkman....probably pieces of the clutch packs from the LSD. Maybe the previous owner didn't have enough additive in the diff and it chattered/broke.

At least you got em out of there before they got in between the ring and pinion.

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX

Looks like the left over bits from a shim. But, if the car is driving fine, you should be OK.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.